19 or 18 inch wheels on mk6 jetta

Gurvir

TDI
2015 VW Jetta TDI 6 Speed
Hey everyone, I just got a 2015 jetta tdi and the first thing i'm planning to do is get summer wheels. I am fairly new with car stuff but got a decent idea of wheel offsets, width and things like that through some extensive research (really confusing at first). I was looking into getting the mrr gt1's but i'm not sure if i should go for the 18's or 19's (I want to fill the wheel gap nicely).

I believe both sizes have the same width and offset options 19x8.5 et35 will that size fit fine with no rubbing? Some people have said that 18 is for comfort and 19 is for looks but does it really make that big of a difference? Don't the tires make more of a difference when it comes to comfort? I wouldn't mind a little stiffer ride but nothing extreme this is my daily driver.

I would appreciate any opinions and suggestions as i am trying to get as much info as possible. I am also looking to lower the car in the near future btw not slammed though. Also feel free to suggest some other cool wheels that would look nice on a white car.

Thanks alot everyone!! :)

Last edited:

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
I saw a super sick beetle at the shop wearing 18x8 wheels with 235/45-18.
Fills the wheel well pretty close to perfect. Yes, that’s a bit oversized, but it fits, and may even change your mind about wanting to drop it lower.
I think TSW Nurburgring wheels look pretty sweet on our VWs.

Gurvir

TDI
Yeah i might just go with the 18's then but i guess i will have to lower it at the same time. Will 18x8.5 et45 be flush with the fender?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
To answer one of your questions....

Tire does have a lot to do with ride comfort. the 18's will have a slightly larger sidewall. With the larger sidewall comes more rubber to absorb bumps.

The 19's will have a shorter and stiffer sidewall. Bumps will not be absorbed as well and road noise will be transmitted into the car more due to the stiffer sidewall.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Yeah i might just go with the 18's then but i guess i will have to lower it at the same time
Not sure if I follow the logic here...

If you want comfortable, stick with 16's or 17's.
If you want performance, stick with 17's.
If you want looks, well, that's subjective :) I think 19's look kinda silly with the little tiny brake rotors behind them.

Gurvir

TDI
In my opinion 18 inch wheels on stock ride height looks pretty weird, So i will probably end up lowering at the same time. Most people are saying not to go with 19's, im fairly new to this stuff and i don't even know how much i want to lower it yet. Not sure if that will be a issue when choosing my wheels but i want that flush look anyways so should be good.

Thanks everyone for the input!
I actually found a website called https://www.fitmentindustries.com/ and people can upload pictures of there cars to the gallery with all wheel fitment info and specs. There are many different wheels on there with pictures, check it out if anyone needs an idea of how their fitment will look.

Last edited:

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
In my opinion 18 inch wheels on stock ride height looks pretty weird, So i will probably end up lowering at the same time. Most people are saying not to go with 19's, im fairly new to this stuff and i don't even know how much i want to lower it yet. Not sure if that will be a issue when choosing my wheels but i want that flush look anyways so should be good.

Thanks everyone for the input!
I actually found a website called https://www.fitmentindustries.com/ and people can upload pictures of there cars to the gallery with all wheel fitment info and specs. There are many different wheels on there with pictures, check it out if anyone needs an idea of how their fitment will look.
In the link I posted here there are 18" rims on stock suspension. I have the same set up on my 2014 Jetta. I wouldn't bother lowering it.

Here's a VW Jetta with 18" Austin's 225/40/18 (OEM GTI Rims)
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user...2Fkcy9JTUFHMTc2OF96cHM0NDg5YWJlZi5qcGc=/?ref=

Last edited:

Gurvir

TDI
I tried clicking the link, it's not working bro. I think your right i will leave it stock ride height for now. My plan is to just get some nice wheels and do the deletes for this car by the time the weather starts getting nicer. Probably will lower it next summer with a nice suspension setup. Im only 18 so it takes a while to save up for all this stuff lol. Btw its crazy how people decide on wheels so many options.

Last edited:

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
try the link now

I have the same set up on my Jetta

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I want the GLI wheels but as was said above, they are super heavy so I'm torn. I think 19s look good on the bodystyle, but a little goofy at stock ride height.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
There is some sort optical illusion going on when you change your wheels to lower profile tires. Even if the overall diameter is that same the wheel to fender gap looks bigger.

I am running 19's and I have the car lowered as well. Mine are MK4 ET30's so they are close to the fenders. I don't have any rubbing even with the trailer going over bumps.

If you are working with a local tire shop, you should be able to get the wheels test fitted before you buy them.

cyclonecoasters

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDi
Big wheels vs smaller wheels

Go for the smallest wheel you can get on the car...Pot holes play havoc on tires with little to no side wall to absorb the hard edge of a hole and crush against the wheel bending it and damaging the tire. I'm running 16" wheels from tire rack. Ride is softer and feels safer.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
17" can look pretty good on a lowered car. These have an ET 32 offset:

[/url][/IMG]