Tuning Questions??

FrankenAudi

TDI
01 Audi Quattro Allroad 6Mt.
Hey There,, If i buy a Converted 01 Audi Quattro Allroad TDI ,, It has an 05 Passat BHW 2.0L TDI with 6MT ,, it has no EGR Delete or BSM Mod,, it also previously automatic tranny,, He isn't giving me much detail On the Malone Tune Stage 1 ,, question can i go to any Malone dealer or call them with VIN # to get more details and If i decide to use another Tuner say REVO,, Kerma etc,,is there any issue if its already got a Malone tune ?? Just trying to understand what is doable. Thats and help.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I'm not sure Revo makes tunes for our TDIs

I think if you go with a Malone, Kerma or RocketChip; that it will simply overright the existing software. Doesnt matter if you were stock, were tuned or were whatever.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
You don't need to fool with a tune do do the bs delete but you do need a vcds to set the torsion value.

As for the egr, doesn't improve power, not a common failure or trouble area for the bhw and it makes the engine louder. Youll miss the heat up in hockey country.

Id forget any tune mods without a heavy duty clutch plus the proper dual mass flyer. You get a stage 2 tune with an unknown clutch you'll likely ruin it.

FrankenAudi

TDI
I just ordered the Vag-com and software , its a must have tool for me ,,i will see what clutch was put in about 12k miles ago ,, and confirm when the timing belt was done. I was thinking of Shell rotella 5w40 for the engine ,, and amsoil for the tranny/diff or Redline for the diff,, just haven't figured what the rated grade is best here in Canada.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Youll get shunned for using rotella here. It's not VAG certified, it will eat your cam, blah blah blah. I use it. I use rotella(different weights) in all my vehicles, boats and motorcycles. Plenty of people use rotella in their tdi, oil is just a very heated topic on here. Same with oem or oe parts. Oe/oem is usually better but not always. I need contol arms thanks to old bushings, the best i can find warranty wise (10 years vs 2 years) are aftermarket and almost half the price of the oe ones...that's a no brainer for a vehicle im passing down to the little lady after i get another bhw swapped vehicle running.

I do my oil changes every 5000 with rotella, it's less than 14 bucks a gallon so it's not like it costs me much.

FrankenAudi

TDI
Which Rotella T5 5w40 ? And do u think for the 6-speed Manual and rear diff, i'm in southern Ont. Temp,zone. Thks

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Oem audi/vw is cheap enough. I only run red line because it is more convenient than heading to a dealer. Red line doesn't like the cold. Id stick to oem up your way. A 6 speed isn't cheap, my dvz is

FrankenAudi

TDI
I use a Cocktail mix of Redline and Motul in my 01 Subaru Forester 5-speed and Amsoil in the rear LSD diff ,, 260K miles. Drives like a champ. What Rotella do u use T5 5w40 ??

Ohh,,I got an even better deal i am getting 2001 Audi Quattro 6Mt TDI 2.0L 115k Miles for $3400 .US uncertified ,, so i know what a few issues are and can fix them myself .And of course i will find something else not working it is 18 yrs. old. I am happy and worried all at the same time,, so $600, less then if he certified it ,,what U think?? Should i spend my pocket change ?? LOL.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes i use the 5w40 (t5 i think) full synthetic. Blue jug

3400 sounds like a steal. I cant buy a non running allroad and covert to 6 speed for that price. Plus the bhw and the wiring work already done...id jump all over that being you can drive it home. 6 speed allroads are rare. If i did get one a slight lift and all terrain tires would be a must!

FrankenAudi

TDI
I have to go over everything first ,and clean everything also fix the fuel level gauge , 1 leaky air suspension bag , check the other air bag connectors there is a air bag led on,, Timing belt is good for 70k , I guess i better wait till i have the Vehicle ,,before he changes his mind >>>I have to figure how i am going to get myself there pick it up ,,43 miles .