What vehicle will you buy with your refund?

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I believe you're thinking of the 550i. Don't think we have anything other than the 535d over here

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
wut?

Why on Earth would you sell that car??? I love the A3! I could even stomach the mandatory DSG if I had to!
Completely agreed. They are not going to buy them back... furthermore These cars are sweet and near perfect for me, especially now that some of us do not have the emissions equipment on the car any longer.

If I could get a 6 speed trans into this car, I would do so. I'm not liking the DSG.... it's not bad, but a 6 speed would make the car perfect IMO.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Completely agreed. They are not going to buy them back...
I agree that I'm more than satisfied with my car. But then what in your opinion will VW do for the cars that didn't come equipped with urea injection? They're saying that the cost is too great for them to get some of our cars within EPA regulations. For example, they would have to modify the undercarriage to allow room for the urea tank.

I'm not worried about EPA regulations obviously since our cars are tuned. But with a buyback I'm sure they would be offering us an amount of money that we would probably never again be able to get ourselves on the street, that would be my only reason for selling it back.

I've read that VW and EPA are scheduled to finish their talks and come out with a solution by end of March.

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
I've been having a hard time figuring this out. MY '10 A3 is starting the have some issues that makes me glad for the possible buy back, but the options out there to replace the vehicle with arent very exciting, especially since i want a wagon/mini SUV to haul things. Im not looking for a luxury vehicle, thats not why i bought the A3 (after owning it and putting 70k on it, i really dont think its a luxury vehicle at all, quiet the opposite actually) so the more expensive new diesels arent an option. feeling kinda stuck :/

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
Firstly, I stand corrected. It doesn't look like we'll receive purchase price refunds, but instead pre-scandal book plus ~5K.

The closer we get to the buyback date, the more I appreciate the A3 TDI Sportback. There is no other car on the market that combines its driving dynamics, efficiency, and utility at a relatively reasonable price. The BMW diesel wagons come to mind, but are kind of pricey. Anyone considering a MB GLK 250 Blutetec? With Mercedes in the regulatory spotlight, there may be good deals to be had.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Firstly, I stand corrected. It doesn't look like we'll receive purchase price refunds, but instead pre-scandal book plus ~5K.

The closer we get to the buyback date, the more I appreciate the A3 TDI Sportback. There is no other car on the market that combines its driving dynamics, efficiency, and utility at a relatively reasonable price. The BMW diesel wagons come to mind, but are kind of pricey. Anyone considering a MB GLK 250 Blutetec? With Mercedes in the regulatory spotlight, there may be good deals to be had.
I agree. There are others just as good as the A3, but all cost more and most are horribly unreliable(BMW).

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti

Love the looks of GLKs, but I don't think that would be enough room for us and our growing family.

The one thing that bothers me with the a3 is the relatively cheap interior plastic. My 2007 gti feels more refined than the a3...but I guess that's entry level for you. And headroom. The open sky must take up a lot of vertical room, because my sunroofed gti has significantly more head room. Nitpicky stuff because after 67000 miles, it's been pretty damn trouble free. Can't say that about my gti.

And the question about kbb, will it be dealer trade in or private party? I think I'd be a little pissed if it isn't private party value. The dealer isn't turning around and reselling these, so there should be no reason to do trade in value in order for them to make their nut.

Last edited:

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
Love the looks of GLKs, but I don't think that would be enough room for us and our growing family.

The one thing that bothers me with the a3 is the relatively cheap interior plastic. My 2007 gti feels more refined than the a3...but I guess that's entry level for you. And headroom. The open sky must take up a lot of vertical room, because my sunroofed gti has significantly more head room. Nitpicky stuff because after 67000 miles, it's been pretty damn trouble free. Can't say that about my gti.

And the question about kbb, will it be dealer trade in or private party? I think I'd be a little pissed if it isn't private party value. The dealer isn't turning around and reselling these, so there should be no reason to do trade in value in order for them to make their nut.
I find the A3 interior incredibly cheap, this is my biggest complaint about the car. if i was the original owner and spent near the msrp on my version. id be pissed.

The GLK 250 BlueTec is one of the few on my list, its price is a bit steep for me still. Ive actually been rather interested in the 2005/2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 Diesel. Its definetly not a snazzy vehicle and has known documented issue, but i do all my own car work and it sounds like if you can get one with low miles and do all the preventative maintenance, you could have a solid 4x4 diesel that has been documented to get in the low 30s for mpg with supporting mods. The only problem is, its a 10 yr old vehicle...

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None

Where did y ou read about the pre scandal price plus 5K? I thought the 5K was for those that agreed to keep it and have the fix done. I have a pre UREA car so I am not sure if they will be able to fit it or not

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
it only takes one person to state a number, and every other 'journalist' will repeat it, whether it's true or not.
^this. No one really knows the exact terms of the agreement, there is a gag order on all parties involved in the negotiations. June 21 is the date we will know and anything thrown around on this forum is pure conjecture.

If there is a buyback and the carrot is enticing, I will sell them the car back and roll it into a used SUV. I'm scared for the future value of the car and we don't plan to drive it into the ground.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
Interesting thread. I want give in my 2009 jetta tdi for a 2015 A3 TDI after the fix has been applied (depending on the $$ offered).

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
Thinking about a Camry hybrid. Not sure yet. I don't think I can go back to a regular gas car after having such awesome mileage.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Thinking about a Camry hybrid. Not sure yet. I don't think I can go back to a regular gas car after having such awesome mileage.
I know I couldn't. A few months ago someone hit my truck and I got a Hyundai sonata rental and while it got mid 30s mpg it was a complete turd. Even on slight hills it had to downshift once if not twice to hold speed. I was glad to return it and get back in my 03 Golf or especially the Audi lol

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
Thanks for that info. I have never driven a hybrid car, I was making that statement based solely on the gas mileage. My wife had a Toyota Solara before we had kids and she loved that car. I figured another Toyota might be a good choice. I would still like to drive one, obviously, before making any decisions.

kuklaki

TDI
2011 Audi A3 S-line//Non-TDI: 2016 Audi e-tron
I have had a very difficult time trying to find something I would love as much as my A3. To be honest, if it wasn't for the plummeting values I'd really have wanted to keep this car but it looks like that would not be the wisest choice plus I'm currently at 90k+ miles and climbing fast.
I think I've found something to help take the sting out of giving up my baby.
http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/xe/index.html
Specifically, the diesel model. No MPG ratings for the US model yet but in doing some research it could be high 40's or low 50's judging from the EU models.
Plus they offer 5 year 60k mile free maintenance on the XE. The motor is based on the Ford diesel.
Yes I know that Jaguars do not have a reliability reputation but Tata has been working on that plus the newer ones have done fairly well from what I've read. It's not as if VW/Audi has the greatest record either.
The reviews on the XE have been pretty favorable as well.

Tornado TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
I have had a very difficult time trying to find something I would love as much as my A3. To be honest, if it wasn't for the plummeting values I'd really have wanted to keep this car but it looks like that would not be the wisest choice plus I'm currently at 90k+ miles and climbing fast.
I think I've found something to help take the sting out of giving up my baby.
http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/xe/index.html
Specifically, the diesel model. No MPG ratings for the US model yet but in doing some research it could be high 40's or low 50's judging from the EU models.
Plus they offer 5 year 60k mile free maintenance on the XE. The motor is based on the Ford diesel.
Yes I know that Jaguars do not have a reliability reputation but Tata has been working on that plus the newer ones have done fairly well from what I've read. It's not as if VW/Audi has the greatest record either.
The reviews on the XE have been pretty favorable as well.
That's a nice looking car.
Starting price of $36,400 for the diesel.:eek: May be worth looking into.:)
Then I noticed that was the Jaguar US site.
I checked the Canadian Jaguar site and the diesel starts at $45,000 up here.:(

Last edited:

kuklaki

TDI
2011 Audi A3 S-line//Non-TDI: 2016 Audi e-tron
Well that really stinks. That seems like a hefty premium over the US price. In any case it seems we have plenty of time to find a suitable replacement.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
I'm looking at the Sonata Hybrid as a potential option right now... Really would rather a wagon though.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
That's a nice looking car.
Starting price of $36,400 for the diesel.:eek: May be worth looking into.:)
Then I noticed that was the Jaguar US site.
I checked the Canadian Jaguar site and the diesel starts at $45,000 up here.:(
$36,400 US is about $47,000 Canadian.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Maybe your A3 did better than mine..but a Camry Hybrid should beat the A3 when it comes to mileage easily in town, and on the highway (plus cheaper gas)....Not going to say the car is fun to drive, but the A3 TDI had the lowest mpg's of the CR TDI's due to gearing (DSG only), weight and drag coefficients

If they do a buyout on the 2015's....I'm heading away from VAG. The wife and I debated on a GSW gaser, but I see other options that I really like in the market, from some odd brands I would've never considered before. She wants it because they are cheap, I'd rather spend a little more for something better

Last edited:

Tornado TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
$36,400 US is about $47,000 Canadian.
Oh the dollar definately has alot to do with the price difference.
But, even when the US and Canadian dollar were at par we still paid more for the same car up here.

It's that way with just about everything up here.
And the companies explanation for why they charge more here is, because Canadians will put up with being charged more so they do.

I live 20 minutes from the border and a lot of people were going to Washington to buy new cars because they were much cheaper. The car companies in the US told their dealers that they are not allowed to sell to Canadians because they can charge them more in Canada. :rolleyes:

There are car manufacturers that build cars in Canada (Ontario) and ship them across North America to US dealers 30 minutes from my place but I have to pay more than a US citizen does for that car back on this side of the border.

Last edited:

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
I like my A3, as a matter of fact, I'm going to be trying different and more performance oriented DSG tuning. But if the price,options, and deal was right, I'd very much consider a Q5 TDI. Those things rip.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I like my A3, as a matter of fact, I'm going to be trying different and more performance oriented DSG tuning. But if the price,options, and deal was right, I'd very much consider a Q5 TDI. Those things rip.
I hear ya. Once you drive a 3.0L TDI, it's hard to go back. It just seems to do everything effortlessly. Smooth, powerful, remarkably efficient.