Chrome Exhaust Tips

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I ordered a set of chrome exhaust tips for my JSW. When I opened the box they were huge, I figured they'd fit snuggly over the exhaust but this are considerably bigger. I also found like double the fasteners that are needed although at different lengths.

My questions:

1) To those of you whom installed yours, were yours also quite a bit larger than exhaust?
2) It talks about the fasterners sticking out about 1mm through the exhaust tip. Does that mean protruding inside of the exhaust tip?

Thanks

sflier

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2013 Toareg TDI LUX
I found the same thing when I picked up the tips for my 2010 Golf TDI. The part number listed is 1K0-071-910-U. They are much larger in diameter than the exhaust pipe and I'm contemplating returning them. They also only seem to be able to go on about half-way as the exhaust pipe narrows even more further back. I have a hard time believing those screws in the back (alone) will be able to support the open end of the tips from moving around and possibly causing a restriction. I'm disappointed with them and have been looking for a narrower set in the after-market that may fit better.

I'd love to see a close-up picture of one that someone has installed. Or if anyone knows of a set that may fit better, please let me know.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
rabinabo said:
What is it that you don't like about them?
Don't really like the fit.......a little bigger around than the Pipe! Had a set from the same seller on my Ex 2006 Jetta the were a much better fit
The rear of the exhaust on this car is different than that one was though

rabinabo

TDI
2010 4 door Golf TDI manual
Maybe it will fit better on my Golf (fingers crossed). I'll let you guys know when I get it.

sportriderseattle

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr, 6-speed manual, sunroof, CWP, Votex kit, roof spoiler, 35 tint
Yes they are bigger, but that's a part of what makes them have their look. They give a more masculine look to the car because THEY ARE BIGGER in diameter than the stock. I LOVE MINE.

Surly

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
1) To those of you whom installed yours, were yours also quite a bit larger than exhaust?
2) It talks about the fasterners sticking out about 1mm through the exhaust tip. Does that mean protruding inside of the exhaust tip?
The tips are bigger than the exhaust, but I thought they looked good once I got them on properly. I used the shorter setscrews, an moved the tip as far back as possible on the larger part of the exhaust (before it starts to taper down). Put the top two set screws in until they are flush with the tip (all the way in). Slide the tip on, pushing it back until it "falls" down the taper. Pull it forward, so the tip is as far back on the larger part of he exhaust and tighten up the bottom set screw.

Hopefully, this helps. I really like the way the tips look on my car, and I'm not big on exhausts tip, especially large tips.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Surly said:
The tips are bigger than the exhaust, but I thought they looked good once I got them on properly. I used the shorter setscrews, an moved the tip as far back as possible on the larger part of the exhaust (before it starts to taper down). Put the top two set screws in until they are flush with the tip (all the way in). Slide the tip on, pushing it back until it "falls" down the taper. Pull it forward, so the tip is as far back on the larger part of he exhaust and tighten up the bottom set screw.

Hopefully, this helps. I really like the way the tips look on my car, and I'm not big on exhausts tip, especially large tips.
Thanks, your description was very helpful, much appreciated.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My Golf TDI is going to delivered with the stainless exhaust tips as an option from VW. Actually, I think it is a port installed option like the floor mats, not really from the factory. Are the tips just little shiny covers for the existing tips? Considering the price of the option listed on the invoice, I thought there was more to it than that.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips

I purchased STAINLESS STEEL exhaust tips from Cadillac Performance on ebay. I was a bit skeptical about them also but I am very happy now. They are obviously stainless steel and very good quality. The tapered finish also makes them look more custom. For pix- go to Jetta Mk VI 09-10 stainless steel exhaust tips. They were $50.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
ksing44 said:
Are the tips just little shiny covers for the existing tips? Considering the price of the option listed on the invoice, I thought there was more to it than that.
That is all they are. ;)

biby

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Golf
This pair is protruding too much from the bumper imo
anything more stealth looking?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I will see my own in a couple more weeks, but in the mean time I would love to see a good photo of a pair installed on a 2010 Golf TDI. I saw some nice pictures of sportriderseattle's car, but I don't remember seeing any pctures where you could see the exhaust tips, hint, hint. ;)

rabinabo

TDI
2010 4 door Golf TDI manual
Ok, I just installed the tips I got from ebay, and I think they look pretty good. I followed the installation instructions explained before, and they seem to be held on pretty tight. I tried to keep them from sticking out too much. Maybe they're a little too close to each other, but I think they'll be ok.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
ksing44 said:
I will see my own in a couple more weeks, but in the mean time I would love to see a good photo of a pair installed on a 2010 Golf TDI. I saw some nice pictures of sportriderseattle's car, but I don't remember seeing any pctures where you could see the exhaust tips, hint, hint. ;)
Picture of sportriderseattle's OEM tips from vortex. I think they look great!!!

ChAnDeRu

TDI
2010 TDi Golf Wagen Highline
I had my installed on deliv from the dealer - large is good :) - the pipes actually touch and have a nice angle on the exhaust face - they do seem to sit a bit proud out the rear but are very secure as they are attached with 3 screws each and right before the exhaust pipe narrows to under the car. Will post pic soon.

kamtdi

TDI
JSW 2010
I bought a pair on ebay for my JSW 2010. They look very nice, I bought shorter stainless screw from the hardware store and replace the one that came with.

Krfar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 CandyWhite JSW TDI DSG, NAV & Pano
BumbleBeeTJ said:
let us know how it works out
Well, they just sent me an e-mail saying that the money had been credited to my account because they are out of stock. Oh well, so much for that. Anyhow, I called my dealer and they quoted me $213.33 for the factory option which I think is non-sense.