Follow my 2003 ALH Project!

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Look guys, I'm not sure there were ever maps out for the 17/22 but the "standard accepted" boost level on that hybrid is "around" 25 psi from what I've heard. Jeff (RC) said you can run them up around 28 through the mid range of the power band as well. Will it shorten life? Probably. Are there dozens of people on this club who run 25 psi or higher on there 17/22's? Absolutely. Are they blowing up left and right? Nope...

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
UPDATE! More parts installed LATE last night...

Attempted the EuroJet SMIC and it is a NO GO.....

- The inter cooler itself was originally modified to fit a 99 Beetle, so the outlet to the upper inter cooler pipe comes out right underneath the back of the headlight assembly so there was no chance of even modifying the pipes to make it work... SMIC will have to come at a later date.

- The upgraded inter cooler pipes went in like a breeze....;)

- PD150 IM w/2.5" race pipe installed

Jason made the upper IC pipe 2.5 inches longer to reach the silicone elbow I got for it.... He also painted it.... There will be pics of all of this soon....

Next week , the new boost/egt combo gauge will go in.... then the PD lift pump, koni sport springs, and vr6 air box.... then I'll be ready for RC5!

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Those intercooler pipes did go in rather nicely after we figured out how much to trim off the elbows and how to properly position them.. I think I'm going to do a nicer job on painting that upper pipe, that paint came off way too easily..

That eurojet intercooler should fit the 1.8T beetles as well.. It's a really nice unit, just a no go for a golf/Jetta..

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The 17/22 will run 26 PSI all day long with no problems. Mine holds that right to 6000 RPM. And Jason's spikes to 32 aren't a real worry. I saw Chill's spike to 42 on the dyno a few weeks ago. That was a bit alarming.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
More Parts Installed!

Ok, we've got the McNally Boost/EGT Combo gauge installed as well as the PD Lift Pump and VR6 Air Box....

All performance parts are in and I'll be going to IMPEXFEST this Saturday for RC5!!!

Pictures to come later today or tomorrow... I've got plenty of them.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Project Pictures!!

Ok, these pics are pretty crappy because they were taken from my cell
phone...

This is how much longer we had to make the TDI Parts upper intercooler pipe to reach the silicone bend I got to fit on the 2.5" race pipe......

.....and here is is welded.....

..... and here it is getting painted with high heat engine paint (Ford Red)

......here it is installed with the red silicone bend onto the 2.5" race pipe & PD150 intake manifold...

Here is the stock ALH lower intercooler piping next to the TDI Parts upgraded intercooler piping..... MORE AIR!

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
More Project Pics!!

the McNally boost/EGT combo gauge....

How it looks mounted on the A-pillar....

My trunk with the new badge work & custom plate....

The final product.... looks pretty stock looking aside from the red upper IC pipe & red OMI.... that is the VR6 airbox too BTW...

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
AWESOME JOB! Look forward to seeing you Sat.

Love that tag!

Jeff

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jsrmonster said:
AWESOME JOB! Look forward to seeing you Sat.

Love that tag!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff....The car moves pretty quick right now and runs really smooth....It stops pulling hard at about 4200RPM.....

I'm running just under 25PSI boost right now. Will that increase w/RC5? Also, will the red line be moved to 5500RPM?

See you Saturday morning.... I'll have coffee for you if you want...

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
rocketeer928 said:
I'm looking forward to seeing your ride too. My plans are to do some similar mods during the summer.
Good.... you remember the car from New England dyno day 7 right?

Looking forward to talking with you... see ya there.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Joe TDI said:
I was only able to do it because I got some really expensive parts used at a great price....

11mm pump, PD150 IM, 2.5" race pipe, PP502's, VR6 Air box, 3" OMI, EuroJet SMIC..... If I had to buy those parts brand new, I'd never have been able to afford this project....

I lucked out and caught somebody on the forums returning their TDI to stock and selling the barely used performance parts... I took em all...
I was wondering how anyone could afford all this at once. Great find!

Curious, why would someone go from a well modified ALH back to stock? Were they selling their TDI?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Joe TDI said:
Good.... you remember the car from New England dyno day 7 right?

Looking forward to talking with you... see ya there.
Yes, I do remember. I also remember you smokin' me on the Mass Pike, and me laughing as you did so. I plan to be at the May 9th GTG in PA, not Impex.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
rocketeer928 said:
I was wondering how anyone could afford all this at once. Great find!

Curious, why would someone go from a well modified ALH back to stock? Were they selling their TDI?
Yea, I ended up with like $3000 in parts for $900.... It's the only way I could have afforded this project...

Yes, the guy I got most of the parts from was selling his performance parts and returning the car to stock to sell it.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RC5 is in!

Yep, after a month of hardware installs, RocketChip Stage 5 is in.... Jeff had prepared an ECU with everything I need... he had it ready the night before IMPEXFEST and it took less than 30 minutes for me to be flying around Cockeysville Maryland running logs... Everything runs perfect.

Huge thanks to Jason Dagnardi (TDIJetta99) for the many late nights at the shop (sometimes till 2am), installing every part on my car.... I learned an incredible amount about the ALH motor, injection pumps, turbos, and the importance of MORE AIR from this project.

Huge thanks to Jeff/RocketChip (jsrmonster) for making my car fly.... It is just so smooth and fast....

Huge thanks to Peter Noble from TDI Parts (indigobluewagon) for working with me on an exchange and shipping everything so fast...

I wish there was a camera videoing my face when I ripped it to 5500rpm in 2nd gear for the first time. I said something like HOLY *$#@!!!

JOE

Last edited:

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
Joe it was great to meet you yesterday, thanks for the ride. Jeff performed his magic late last night and lilred is now sporting a RC4+. I have had her out today playing a bit and cant find a road to max her out. 4th gear pulls to 95mph+ at 5000RPM and she still has more left, but no road..............................LOL........Honestly the power is so new and I am not used to it yet so not sure all she can do. I am guessing that the next 1.8t is going to be, "What the EFF!

All that power from an unassuming Jetta, who'd a thunk?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
RC5 is great. I've got it in the Golf now, and even with the 68 pin ECU it's a kick.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Jeff says overall power production is pretty much the same, but the responsiveness is quite different. I can vouch for that: my wagon with ASV base maps is much more responsive than the Golf with AFN. Once the clutch is in the Golf I'll dyno it before the harness swap so I can get a direct comparison.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, let the addiction continue!

Just ordered: FMIC
In the near future after the intercooler setup: ported head

This is gonna get out of control. FMIC shipped and it should be in within the next 2 weeks.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Fmic Install!

Here are a couple pics of my FMIC install

Lower intercooler pipe coming from turbo outlet to inlet of the FMIC

FMIC solid in place with piping.

That is one heavily modified 2.5" race pipe

..... The red OMI pipe will be replaced by a blue one to match...

That about does it for the airflow situation.

Next is a SBC Stage 3 racing clutch to replace the slipping VR6 clutch in it now.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
scubagli said:
What up joe did ya get your clutch in yet?
Not yet.... hopefully next week we'll be able to get it done... I wanna get it installed and broken in before New England Dyno Day 8.....

After that, new OEM cam & lifters, an oil change, fuel filter, and I need to replace my fuel return lines....