Key FOB programming

nordska

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6MT, 2002.5 Jetta Wagon ALH 5MT
I finally got my 03 Jetta running and on the road, but I only have the valet key for it. I have a remote here from another Jetta and I heard of people claiming it can be programmed without seeing the dealer (not for the key chip portion but for the remote itself) Anyone heard of a way to do this???

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Unless you can get the either the login code or the secret key code + importer # + workshop code + date the dealer made the skc, you will have to see the dealer.

But generally there is no way for the common guy to make his own keys. Most locksmiths dont have a clue either.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
nordska said:
I finally got my 03 Jetta running and on the road, but I only have the valet key for it. I have a remote here from another Jetta and I heard of people claiming it can be programmed without seeing the dealer (not for the key chip portion but for the remote itself) Anyone heard of a way to do this???
__. Yes, this is correct. There are two "codes" in the Jetta keys:

1) The "SKC" which has to do with the code for matching the key chip to the ignition/immobilizer.

2) The remote code which allows you to use the remote.

__. I had the same problem as you. My car was sold with only a valet key. I ordered a new remote/"switchblade" key unit from World-Impex and had them cut the key. At that point, I had two keys that would unlock the door and tailgate, one key that would start the car and no remote. I did a search on here and found the procedure (dunno where it was) but it entails something like putting a good key (your valet) in the ignition, swtiching the ignition on (but not starting the car), putting the remote key in the door lock and doing .... something. It's easy to find with a search.

__. Now, I have two keys that will open the doors, one remote that will open and lock the doors, and one key that will start the car.

__. The SKC ("secret key code") is harder. There are different ways to handle this:

-0- If you don't know the SKC --
1) Go to the dealer (the only real software is in Germany - the dealer has to link on-line with the factory while plugged into your car), or,

2) Have a "chip" put in your car. When they're retuning it, they can set a new SKC in the software on your car and initialize all your keys to it.

3) There is a very expensive, limited-release software out there. If you can find someone out there who has this software, they can read the SKC out of your car.

-0- If you know your SKC (either if you wrote it down when you bought the car or if it was obtained by *3*, above), you can have all your keys initialized to the immobilizer with VAG-Com.

__. It's all a PITA, but it's doable.