kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I've got a '98 Jetta that's throwing the following code:

1 Fault Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
35-10 - - - Intermittent

Previously, i had a glow plug monitoring fault (bad glow plug, which i replaced) and when i went to clear the code the last time, i got the 65535 code. The glow plug code hasn't come back, but i don't know how to interpret this code... Anyone seen this one before?

Thanks,
Llewellyn

kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Thanks Vinny, i'll give that a try. Do you happen to remember if the procedure that Paramedick posted for the ECU is the same for '98 model year?

kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Thanks Paramedick, i'll be working on it this weekend. Where would you suggest looking for the silicone tubing that you recommended? Also, do you recall approximately how long a piece of tubing i'll need for the 2 replacements? (I live too far out of town to conveniently get parts once i start the job.)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
The silicone tubing will probably have to be ordered. 3.5 mm ID.

http://www.hightempsilicone.com/category/siliconevacuumhose.bythefoot/

Get 15 foot of the black, and 3 foot each of the red and blue.

If you want a short term fix, get some 1/8 or 5/64 (closer to original ID)inch vacuum or windshield washer tubing from your local parts house. They have bulk rolls of this. 6 foot is more than you will need for just the boost tube to ECU and ECU itself, and it's cheap.

kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Great - i'll pick some up this afternoon. I'm going to go with the temp fix for now - i want to see if it resolves the problem before i go on a road trip next weekend. I'll have to order the silicone tubing & replace it when it arrives. Just one other question: i can see having extra of the black around, but why the red & blue? Do they have different properties/temp tolerance, or is it just asthetics?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
The "temp" fix will last a year or two. Put something on to prevent chafing of the one hose where it goes under the windshield cowl.

All black tubing is fine. Us purists use the red and blue to duplicate the original color. Also makes it easier to identify and trace the hose. And, it doesn't cost any more.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Like Paramedick said, the black will work just fine, it's just that the blue and red make things a lot easier to hook up, etc. Will you know which black hose goes to which nipple on the N75? If you confuse the connections, the system won't run properly. Red and blue just make things easier for you in the long run (and it's the same price if you are ordering it, so might as well do it right).

kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
That makes perfect sense to me - i hadn't pulled it apart yet, and assumed that all the OEM hoses were black. Unfortunately, the parts store was out of the 1/8" rubber hose i'd planned to use for a temp fix, so i think i'll just go ahead and order the silicone tubing and wait to do the job when it arrives. I'll post an update about the fault code once i'm done.

kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
140 miles after doing the job, still no CEL!
I'm glad you suggested the silicone tubing, Paramedick - after seeing the condition of the OEM rubber tubing (cracked & spongy) it doesn't make sense to put rubber in again. Thanks for all your help!

Llewellyn

kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I meant to ask you one other question... With the thicker walled silicone tubing, the mini clamps that were on the stock rubber tubing no longer fit. So far, things seem to be fine without clamps, but is it advisable to get some clamps that fit?

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
Just fixed the same problem on my 98 Jetta TDI -- Check Engine Light code 65535. I was driving with it for a while -- the light would go on for a few days, then go off, then back on again. It seems to go on at the top of a hill.
Anyway, opened up the computer and the internal hose was bent like a U and partially slid off the case-side nipple. I simply put it back on and fixed up the clamps.
The check engine light went off after another 2 days and stayed off. I also noticed better accelleration, less smoke, and less vibration under high load. The computer must have been getting a bad reading and using it to make bad decisions on the fuel mixture and timing, etc.
In the mean time, I ordered the new hoses as suggested above for a permanent/future fix.