000655 P0299 code, frigid temps, limp mode, any info greatly appreciated!

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
Hi everyone, this morning I took my 2012 Golf TDI out, it was around 9 degrees. I started to pass a car and went into limp mode and the glow plug warning indicator started flashing. After I turned off the car and turned it back on, everything was fine until the turbo kicked in a bit and the same issue but now with both glow plug and engine light warnings kicked on. I turned the car back off, back on and eased back home with only the check engine light on the whole time.

I drove the car yesterday in wet cold weather and its bitter cold today. I'm trying to figure out if the turbo is going out or if maybe its (hopefully) intercooler icing. I really don't know a lot about TDIs so bear with me. It is going to warm up into the 40s tomorrow so I'm going to test again at that point. The car starts fine and runs fine, other than when the turbo kicks in and it goes into limp mode.

Here is what VCDS shows, any information would be greatly appreciated!

2 Faults Found:
000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 - 000 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 87458 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2013.06.13
Time: 07:37:37

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 3473 /min
Speed: 93.0 km/h
Load: 79.2 %
Pressure: 2299.0 mbar
Pressure: 1524.6 mbar
Lambda: 67.1 %
Lambda: 66.3 %

000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 - 001 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 87458 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2013.06.13
Time: 07:37:37

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 3473 /min
Speed: 93.0 km/h
Load: 79.2 %
Pressure: 2299.0 mbar
Pressure: 1524.6 mbar
Lambda: 67.1 %
Lambda: 66.3 %

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
Thank you Nasifkhan and Dwagen. I bought this last June, no idea if it has had the fix or not. I'm going to call a dealer and see if they can advise.

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
If you look under the hood, toward the left side bottom (with the hood open) should be 2 stickers relating to emissions. These are supposed to be affixed to every TDI post-fix in order to identify it as a post-fix TDI. If you see those two stickers on your Golf, it means your Golf is a post-fix and covered under the TDI extended warranty. The stickers are either hexagonal or octagonal in shape, I believe.

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
Thanks Dwagen. I checked and it is post fix, and has a warranty so I'm happy about that! Kind of wish it wasn't post fix but really glad it has the extended warranty (and quite a bit of one....its very low mileage and the fix service was done last March).

Thanks for the heads up!! I'm taking it in to a dealer tomorrow to get checked out.

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
Just an update, got it back from the shop. The intercooler had iced up and they cleaned it out. They do have an upgrade for 1750 that I'd have to pay for, but I'll just get the winter front from ID parts and hope that keeps it from happening.

Thanks everyone for the input!

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Just an update, got it back from the shop. The intercooler had iced up and they cleaned it out. They do have an upgrade for 1750 that I'd have to pay for, but I'll just get the winter front from ID parts and hope that keeps it from happening.

Thanks everyone for the input!
What shop?

As already stated if your car has "the fix" you shouldn't have to pay for the TSB that applies to the frozen intercooler. I just had that done last week and didn't pay a dime.

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
It was a local VW dealer. They stated it was not covered under the warranty. My car does have the fix, I may check with another dealer located in another city not related to this one if that is the case.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
It was a local VW dealer. They stated it was not covered under the warranty. My car does have the fix, I may check with another dealer located in another city not related to this one if that is the case.
The TSB they applied to my car, free of charge under the extended emissions warranty, was TSB 21-18-02.

Hope that helps.

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
I appreciate it, I've tried the easy route of using their FB page but no answer so far. I notice they did not list an email to contact them, I guess I'll try calling them up. Thanks again for the information Pry!

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I appreciate it, I've tried the easy route of using their FB page but no answer so far. I notice they did not list an email to contact them, I guess I'll try calling them up. Thanks again for the information Pry!
I'm going to guess they're going to try to jerk you around more; past behaviour as a predictor of future performance and all.

If you call VWoA you'll have it resolved by tomorrow. They don't mess around.

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
I went to pass a semi on the interstate today in 20F ambient temperatures, got a flashing GP light and limp mode. Pulled off, shut the engine off, restarted a minute later, pulled back on and as soon as I started in to boost, same thing, and CEL lit up as well.

Limped it home, found a P0299 and P0402. Let the car sit in my garage (60F) for a few hours and took it out, and everything seemed fine. WOT was fine in 3rd and 4th gears, smooth and powerful, with no limp mode.

Intercooler icing? I'll be calling my local VW dealer in the morning to discuss the TSB intercooler, but anything else I should consider? My Golf is post-fix, so whatever the issue is should be covered by warranty.

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
INSW20, I would think so, but the TSB I looked at references 2011 vehicles, but not 2012 unless I'm reading it wrong. I have a 2012 too and have contacted VWoA and they are currently looking into it, so fingers crossed they decide to cover it. Though I have a sneaky feeling they will use the year on the TSB to weasel out of it.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I went to pass a semi on the interstate today in 20F ambient temperatures, got a flashing GP light and limp mode. Pulled off, shut the engine off, restarted a minute later, pulled back on and as soon as I started in to boost, same thing, and CEL lit up as well.
Limped it home, found a P0299 and P0402. Let the car sit in my garage (60F) for a few hours and took it out, and everything seemed fine. WOT was fine in 3rd and 4th gears, smooth and powerful, with no limp mode.
Intercooler icing? I'll be calling my local VW dealer in the morning to discuss the TSB intercooler, but anything else I should consider? My Golf is post-fix, so whatever the issue is should be covered by warranty.
If you have a MIL (CEL) light in the instrument cluster, book in an appointment for warranty service. They're obligated to fix it -- and provide a loaner if the service exceeds three hours -- as per the VW settlement with the EPA.

If you really want to know, or prevent possible further damage, remove the belly pan, and the inlet piping going into the intercooler to inspect for/drain any ice or sludge build up that may be present. If you do so take photos/videos in case they try to say that wasn't the cause of the codes and charge you a diagnosis fee.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
INSW20, I would think so, but the TSB I looked at references 2011 vehicles, but not 2012 unless I'm reading it wrong. I have a 2012 too and have contacted VWoA and they are currently looking into it, so fingers crossed they decide to cover it. Though I have a sneaky feeling they will use the year on the TSB to weasel out of it.
Take some time and pour over the frozen intercooler sticky at the top of this forum. It's an issue on all mk5/mk6 CR TDIs. You threw a code in the first place, yes? The fix for the code was to apply a retro-active intercooler fix to prevent condensate build up, yes? In that case it ought to be covered under the extended emissions warranty you're entitled to as the registered owner of that vehicle.

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
If you have a MIL (CEL) light in the instrument cluster, book in an appointment for warranty service. They're obligated to fix it -- and provide a loaner if the service exceeds three hours -- as per the VW settlement with the EPA.

If you really want to know, or prevent possible further damage, remove the belly pan, and the inlet piping going into the intercooler to inspect for/drain any ice or sludge build up that may be present. If you do so take photos/videos in case they try to say that wasn't the cause of the codes and charge you a diagnosis fee.
Yep, I'll be taking it in tomorrow. Called this morning and they obviously couldn't confirm over the phone without pulling codes and inspecting the car, but I've been very pleased with this dealer in the past and have no doubt they'll take care of it now.

I had the lower IC pipe off several months ago to install my FrostHeater, and there was a slight amount of water/oil/sludge in the hose, but when I say "slight" I mean maybe a few drops. I'm not touching it before they do. I'll keep you guys updated!

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
Received a call from the dealer, they're saying there were underboost and overboost codes stored, and tracked root cause to a patch harness that has a different TSB. They're ordering the harness and will call me when it's fixed and ready to go.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Yep, I'll be taking it in tomorrow. Called this morning and they obviously couldn't confirm over the phone without pulling codes and inspecting the car, but I've been very pleased with this dealer in the past and have no doubt they'll take care of it now.
I had the lower IC pipe off several months ago to install my FrostHeater, and there was a slight amount of water/oil/sludge in the hose, but when I say "slight" I mean maybe a few drops. I'm not touching it before they do. I'll keep you guys updated!
That's not a substantial amount. Some is to be expected, but a surprising or immediately concerning amount would not be healthy.

Received a call from the dealer, they're saying there were underboost and overboost codes stored, and tracked root cause to a patch harness that has a different TSB. They're ordering the harness and will call me when it's fixed and ready to go.
That may well be the first domino to fall. Don't be surprised if another issue manifests itself after the wiring harness is fixed. I'm in the midst of this exact pattern right now. They did the intercooler fix two weeks ago, last week it was the entire engine wiring harness, and we'll see what's next (I'm sure) in due time.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
What ever ended up happening, Mark?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
That's not a substantial amount. Some is to be expected, but a surprising or immediately concerning amount would not be healthy.
That may well be the first domino to fall. Don't be surprised if another issue manifests itself after the wiring harness is fixed. I'm in the midst of this exact pattern right now. They did the intercooler fix two weeks ago, last week it was the entire engine wiring harness, and we'll see what's next (I'm sure) in due time.
They had the harness (VW p/n 1KD-971-658, as part of TSB 01-15-24) in stock, so they were able to fix the car today. I picked it up this afternoon and so far so good. I tried looking up the TSB and am not having any luck. Can anyone shed some light on this, please? Thanks!

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
What ever ended up happening, Mark?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Well, nothing much yet. VWoA has been in contact with me and they are working with the dealer but no idea yet on how it will turn out. I 'should' hear back from them by Wednesday, we shall see.

Soon as I find out something I'll try to leave an update. Fingers crossed but I'm not really optimistic.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I'd be surprised if they didn't refund your money. The terms of the class action settlement are pretty clear.

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
It's possible, though the only work they did was removing the ice from the intercooler plus I had them change the oil while it was there. Be nice if they put in the fix for free and refunded what they charged me for removing the ice! I don't hold out much hope but we shall see.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Question is why they didn't perform the TSB to alleviate the intercooler icing in the first place. It's an old and well documented fix, and covered by warranty. So, no reason not to perform the fix free of charge.

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
I agree, however my guess is that on the TSB I looked at it was for up to 2011 models, and mine is a 2012. That may be how the dealer is trying to get out of it. I'm still in talks with VWoA, talked to them Wed but no progress....supposed to get another call tomorrow.

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
And again today, did get a call, guy is still trying to take care of it, should know something next week. I'll give VWoA this, they are definitely keeping in touch if not getting a full answer on it. This is getting kind of ridiculous though.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Keep at it.

From my recent conversation with the shop foreman at my local dealer VW was all too happy to replace whatever parts at the beginning of the implementation of the extended emissions warranty, and now they're getting real cheap about reimbursement to the individual dealers. As a result, dealers have tightened their operations, frequently citing "outside influence" as a means of absolving themselves from replacing components under warranty.

For example... a hydrolocked engine caused by frozen intercooler will typically only see cylinder 3 rod replaced and supplemental diagnosis if required. Where previously, they were replacing entire long blocks.

So my guess is, there's a lot of corporate wang measuring going on back and forth between VWoA and your dealership, and the last one standing gets stiffed holding the bill.

Just make sure it's not you. lol