Bad door lock?

Kree

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
So my 99.5 golf's (Britney) battery went dead. After changing it out the alarm set off as usual and I tried disabling it (key fob's are dead) by opening the passenger door and locking the drivers but it didn't work this time. Checked all the fuses and after researching I believe I have a bad drivers door lock module. What got me to this conclusion is that while the drivers door is open the dome lights don't turn on and I have read that this is a common tell tale sign of a bad door lock. Am I on the right track to diagnosing this problem?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Those cheap eBay door lock modules aren't of the best quality... The one I bought lasted about a week before the little motor inside would no longer operate the lock...

Yuri

TDI
VW Passat 2000 1.9L TDI 85kW AJM
Our Passat 2000 had issues with alarm and door lights and the issue was poor lubrication in the door lock (the switch that detects when the door is open is inside the lock). I sprayed light oil designed to lubricate guns (designed to work in very cold conditions because it can be -30 degrees celcius around here during the winter). There are still some random failures in the door lights but I think I'll get those fixed by adding some more lubrication in the future.

The problem is easy to diagnose. Try turning the part inside the door lock that is supposed to attach to the body of the car when the door is closed. That part should move freely and it should have some grease on it. The grease was nearly solid in our car...

Kree

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
Our Passat 2000 had issues with alarm and door lights and the issue was poor lubrication in the door lock (the switch that detects when the door is open is inside the lock). I sprayed light oil designed to lubricate guns (designed to work in very cold conditions because it can be -30 degrees celcius around here during the winter). There are still some random failures in the door lights but I think I'll get those fixed by adding some more lubrication in the future.

The problem is easy to diagnose. Try turning the part inside the door lock that is supposed to attach to the body of the car when the door is closed. That part should move freely and it should have some grease on it. The grease was nearly solid in our car...
I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks

TDI
VW Passat 2000 1.9L TDI 85kW AJM
Our Passat 2000 had issues with alarm and door lights and the issue was poor lubrication in the door lock (the switch that detects when the door is open is inside the lock).
I should also mention that many Passats have known bad microswitches inside the lock. In theory you can get a new microswitch for a couple of euros/dollars but tearing down the door and lock to replace the microswitch will take around 3h per door including putting the door in one piece after the work.

I'd replace the whole lock instead of replacing just the microswitch if you can get a new lock for a sensible price. Check the part numbers because multiple different lock models do exists depending on lock features.