Air con common faults on MK5

falk_ben

TDI
2007 GT 170 (+/- 300 hp)
Just had a failed re gas which I'm getting my money back for.

They should have spotted a leak on refill? Hot here in the uk so desperate?.

Could it be the company never filled with enough refrigerant?

Can anyone help with a few things to check?

Ben

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What question are you asking so that we may be better able to provide an answer?

What is the symptom?

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Falk_Ben have do you leave your air con on all year round? I made the mistake of not using mine during winter. I regassed it myself about 3 weeks ago (i work at vw) and although it was cool was not ice cold as you say and would sometimes take a few miles to kick in at all.
Did the garage who done yours put compressor oil in with the gas? they should have.
I would try leaving it on for a couple of weeks see if it gets cooler as mine has come back to ice cold again now I've been using it again. Lesson learned there on my part ;-)

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Falk_Ben have do you leave your air con on all year round? I made the mistake of not using mine during winter. I regassed it myself about 3 weeks ago (i work at vw) and although it was cool was not ice cold as you say and would sometimes take a few miles to kick in at all.
Did the garage who done yours put compressor oil in with the gas? they should have.
I would try leaving it on for a couple of weeks see if it gets cooler as mine has come back to ice cold again now I've been using it again. Lesson learned there on my part ;-)

It doesn’t matter weather you used it winter or not IMO it should still work properly. ( Huh run it for couple weeks see if it comes back ? That’s a new one )
The best way I can explain is, think of your ac like a refrigerator, you should never have to recharge unless there’s a leak in the system. Many other issues could occur though, like bad cooling fans, weak compressor or clutch magnet, who knows but the list goes on. The system is usually pretty simple to diagnose with a multimeter. Good luck

Bajan

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Red16vdub, the system is not a dry system, hence the oil. If not used for a while things can seize, I.e compressor etc and the seals can dry out causing leaks.
Vw state and allow a loss of around 100 Grams per year hence they recommend a regal every 2 years. I know as I work there so not really a "huh, new one"

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
Red16vdub, the system is not a dry system, hence the oil. If not used for a while things can seize, I.e compressor etc and the seals can dry out causing leaks.
Vw state and allow a loss of around 100 Grams per year hence they recommend a regal every 2 years. I know as I work there so not really a "huh, new one"
Not arguing with you, I'm just curious. Isn't the point of a clutchless system that things always run, so nothing can seize from sitting?

Ninja Edit: I'm from an industrial controls background, so I could see not cycling the control valve causing it to stick or begin to seize. It happens with some of the stuff I work with.