Did it...Malone Stage 2 tune

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Cruising at 65mph the motor would be right around 2100rpm in sixth. Now it seems like the motor is around 1900rpm at that same speed. Is it the tune? Is it placebo? I'm not sure. Just an observation I've made.
Our gearboxes are directly engaged with no slippage. It is impossible to be in the same gear, at the same speed, and a different RPM.

Donald

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Your observations have simply become more keen now that you're tuned. Engine RPM is mechanical; a tune cannot change that.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
I drove out to AARodriguez Corp (fixmyvw.com) and had Andrew install the Malone stage 2 and DSG tunes on my 2011 JSW and I also picked up my Buzzken DPF delete to install over the weekend. Got it all installed and it rocks. I pulled the DPF off on jackstands and it wasn't that bad of a job. A lift would have been ideal but jackstands weren't a problem. No need to loosen up the subframe. I just unbolted the axle from the transmission only and worked the DPF out of there. It is tight against the heat shield but with a little manipulation it will come right out. The Buzzken downpipe was a piece of cake to install. No fitment issues at all. I left the stock muffler on but it is a little too quiet for my taste. Catback will go on shortly.

Last edited:

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Cruising at 65mph the motor would be right around 2100rpm in sixth. Now it seems like the motor is around 1900rpm at that same speed. Is it the tune? Is it placebo? I'm not sure. Just an observation I've made.
Unless you changed gear ratios in your transmission, nothing has changed with RPM's.

Also you stated in a previous post "quicker warm up times", which is absolutely not true once you delete the DPF. Your car would be the first in history if you did! lol

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I drove out to AARodriguez Corp (fixmyvw.com) and had Andrew install the Malone stage 2 and DSG tunes on my 2011 JSW and I also picked up my Buzzken DPF delete to install over the weekend. Got it all installed and it rocks. I pulled the DPF off on jackstands and it wasn't that bad of a job. A lift would have been ideal but jackstands weren't a problem. No need to loosen up the subframe. I just unbolted the axle from the transmission only and worked the DPF out of there. It is tight against the heat shield but with a little manipulation it will come right out. The Buzzken downpipe was a piece of cake to install. No fitment issues at all. I left the stock muffler on but it is a little too quiet for my taste. Catback with go on shortly.
How are you putting a "catback" on with no cat? :D

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
The term "cat-back" means "FROM the cat and beyond." Likewise, a "turbo-back" does not include the turbo. :cool:

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Unless the tuning contained nano bots that went into your transmission and changed the size of your gears, that's not physically possible. You just weren't paying good enough attention to your rpm's before. :D
Kinda figured that what it was. That's why I said it could be placebo since now I was just watching it closer.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Unless you changed gear ratios in your transmission, nothing has changed with RPM's.
Also you stated in a previous post "quicker warm up times", which is absolutely not true once you delete the DPF. Your car would be the first in history if you did! lol

We've had some nice temps in the morning recently so both the tune and the temperature variables have changed at the same time. When it comes to how everything changes with a engine tune and turbos I'm learning a ton every day I come to the forums. I do know air goes in, exhaust spins the turbo, witchcraft happens, and out comes POWWWWWAAAA! :D So I it was most likely the placebo effect lol.

Last edited:

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
Very hard to hear any difference! :cool:
Best yet, no smoke :D
There is some smoke but not much at all. I haven't driven at night yet with someone following to see if I can see smoke in the headlights yet.

Really the only difference in sound I hear is more turbo spool. Other than that the car is quiet. It will be louder soon enough :D

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
There is some smoke but not much at all. I haven't driven at night yet with someone following to see if I can see smoke in the headlights yet.

Really the only difference in sound I hear is more turbo spool. Other than that the car is quiet. It will be louder soon enough :D
Mine definitely smokes a little at wot. It is indeed seen in headlights after dark the best. It is a thin light haze, not black at all. I can also see a puff in the rear windshield when the dsg shifts at wot as well.

Waykooljr

TDI
2009 TDI Stock with 6spd manual
I have the Malone stage II and Techtonics Tune turbo back exhaust from Sheridan Oregon. Anyone out there do an upgrade after the VW exhaust fix and new DPF? I haven't tore into the project yet. 2009 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual. anyone want to PM me with advice?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Yes a good number of people have done the upgrade, no worries there. Didn't know TT sold a downpipe for these :) must not be listed but something they'll make sure you're local.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Have my second buzz Ken ready to go as soon as I recover from surgery. I think another difference is the rawtek is Tig welded where buzzkens looks to use stainless wire spool mig to weld. Have never had an issue with buzzkens stuff and it's underthecar and what is exposed is finished off real nice with the silver line tips.

BurgerLocker

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon Tdi
I have the Malone stage II and Techtonics Tune turbo back exhaust from Sheridan Oregon. Anyone out there do an upgrade after the VW exhaust fix and new DPF? I haven't tore into the project yet. 2009 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual. anyone want to PM me with advice?
I just installed Rawtek pipes on my 2012 wagon today and it was fairly easy using their instructions, which I've heard work fine for installing other brands. I did it on jack stands in my driveway without a creeper. I had the approved modification done a few weeks ago so everything was freshly installed and none of the sensors were ceased. As well, the "hard to reach" nut attaching the EGR canister to the turbo was not there because the egr canister on the new dpf was smaller and didnt require support.

Unbolted the axle and bungee'd it out of the way and it slid on out. Did have to bend some of the firewall out of the way in the "tunnel", but I was able to do that with my thumb a little bit at a time until everything was free. I did zip off the bottom dpf bracket with a cutting wheel which I think made all the difference. Just be careful and hold the cutter tight because your cv boots are less than an inch away.

In all it took about 5ish hrs.

sapper043

TDI
2015 Jetta Highline
I have roughly 1 year, 8 oil changes, and 40,000kms so far on my Malone Stage 2, with Rawtek exhaust and it has been flawless. Not one single issue so far, both my wife and I share the car and she enjoys the car as well.

It does have a small amount of turbo lag (in sport mode) for wide open throttle but once the turbo spools it is amazing. When this occurs there is a bit of black smoke which doesn't concern me as this is just un-burnt fuel that was starving for air and didn't get burnt. As soon as the turbo does spool it clears up instantly.

I think my next upgrades will focus on turbo and manifold.

I think the best part of these mods if the improvement of mileage and power with complete (so far) reliability. I appreciate this as I would never let my wife drive my truck for fear she may damage it too easily with similar mods and not know when to let off the throttle but these mods are just so seamless that I have 100% confidence that she can't do anything wrong with the car other than get a speeding ticket.

It has been both our most favored vehicle.

I must again thank both Rawtek for there amazing products and Malone for their great support when needed and fast response times.

sapper043

TDI
2015 Jetta Highline
@sapper043 what oil are you using that you're running 5,000 km oil change intervals?
I use Castrol - Edge 5W-30 LL. It took some time to locate other than the dealer but I have always believed in oil is cheap insurance. I work in an engine shop and see daily what extended oils services causes and the damage is not reversible and it escalates quickly.

I hate the factory skid and water pump location as well as the fact that the filter is only accessible from below. I can service the truck and Jeep in the time it takes to do the Jetta.

I need to find a good aluminum full skid to aid in this and the plastic leaves little for protection of the oil pan.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I use Castrol - Edge 5W-30 LL. It took some time to locate other than the dealer but I have always believed in oil is cheap insurance. I work in an engine shop and see daily what extended oils services causes and the damage is not reversible and it escalates quickly.
I hate the factory skid and water pump location as well as the fact that the filter is only accessible from below. I can service the truck and Jeep in the time it takes to do the Jetta.
I need to find a good aluminum full skid to aid in this and the plastic leaves little for protection of the oil pan.
Not looking to start a full on debate (they've been well chronicled already) but vw507 oil has extended intervals due to the inherent metallurgy present in that oil formulation. From my understanding, there are a few stages. 1) scrub off old deposits of wear metals, 2) bed down new layer of wear metals (basically zinc) on friction surfaces, 3) normal oil operation window.

507 oils are a 10k mile interval for a reason. They were decreased to absolute minimum from Europe to deal with the American market mentality. If you short change the interval, you're likely (inadvertently) doing more harm than good to the cam lobes, rod bearings, etc. As in, change during the scrubbing window, when no there's no protective film bedded down, and there's more metal on metal contact than you'd think.

I have been doing used oil analysis for the last few changes and have noticed a demonstrable decrease in "wear metals" with increasing intervals, which speaks to the phase changes mentioned above. I'm over the 10k miles now and still going upwards.

Food for thought.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Go tell that to all the gassers tuner bois who swear by dropping ever 3K-5K

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
If it comes out of a new bottle, it can only do good!

Like mystery marvel oil. It's designed to mysteriously replace worn iron and bearing babbitt....

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk