No Fuel after fuel filter change and TB change

npdimonte

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI, 5spd
I finally completed my TB change, engine started right up and ran for about 2 minutes and then it died. I replaced the fuel filter as part of the TB change, but forgot to add fuel to the new filter. I have loosened the 4th injector line to help purge the air, but it hasn't helped.

Did I screw up by not putting fuel in the fuel filter?

Is there something that I may have disconnected that would disable the fuel pump during my TB change?

How do I test my fuel pump? My Bentley manual only talks about gas systems.

I disconnected the supply line to the fuel filter, turned on ignition switch to run position, but saw no fuel come out. Is this a problem?

How do I purge air out of this system?

Thanks in advance,
Nick D.

TNTKNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Hey Nick:
crack all of the lines at the top of the injectors and crank the car over. Better with another person to crank while you put something over the top of the injectors, rag or something. Crank till you get fuel out and then tighten them back up. You don't have an in tank pump so you have to depend on the IP to pull the fuel up. Should start after that.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Before starting, please verify the locks can be inserted and re-rotate by hand 2 revs (assumed this was already done).

1. Pull fuel from the the return hose with a vacuum pump until fuel goes in the injection pump.
2. Crack #3 injector, wrap with towel, and crank 10 seconds.
3. Tighten #3 injector, crank up to 20 seconds to start.

Wait at least 10 minutes if a repeat is required, but it will almost always go on the first try.

There isn't an electrical pump to push the fuel from the tank. It's all lifted by the injection pump.

npdimonte

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI, 5spd
No fuel pump? Well that helps a whole lot with my approch on fixing this. I would have never thought of that. No wonder why the Bentley was silent about this.

Thanks for enlightening me on this. I will put all of your suggestion to good use this morning.

Thanks again!:)

npdimonte

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI, 5spd
I just had a thought, running out of fuel, empty fuel tank, sounds like it would be a major problem. I'm starting to understand why the PO gave me a couple of wrenches for this very issue.

I like when the light bulb starts to turn on.:D

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Yeah, running out of fuel on the road somewhere can be a pain. It would have raised the MSRP all of $200 to install a low pressure lift pump, but VW didn't think it was necessary.

ahardy4

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
About a week ago I did the same thing (changed filter without filling). Filled the filter with diesel, carefully filled the line with diesel and reconnected to filter. Cranked and it for a couple seconds then fired right up and has worked great ever since. Just sharing what worked for me.

Good luck.

npdimonte

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI, 5spd
Sucess!:)

Filled the filter and lines with fuel. Vacuumed the return line from the injector pump and cracked open some injector lines. Repeated this until it started. Part of my problem at first was that I had all four injector lines cracked open at the same time, which I believe delayed starting the engine. Next time I will only crack open the #4 injector. Hope there won't be a next time!;)

Thanks for all the help,
Nick D.