BRM crank/cam alignment- HELP

Fish

TDI
06 brm
Hey guys,

I recently installed a stage 3 Colt cam and did a timing belt on my 2006 BRM TDI but when i went to start it it didn't crank and ended up bending a valve. Head was replaced but now when spinning crank with a ratchet I feel some resistance and must have aligned the cam with the crank incorrectly, again. (put crank 180 degrees from TDC and installed cam 90 degrees back from TDC- followed MyTurboDiesel instructions on a passat).

If anyone knows the proper way to align them I'd be forever grateful because I'd like to see this thing run soon and don't wanna bend anything again.

Thanks so much!
Kyle

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 237k 2013 Passat TDI - 31k
Hey guys,
I recently installed a stage 3 Colt cam and did a timing belt on my 2006 BRM TDI but when i went to start it it didn't crank and ended up bending a valve. Head was replaced but now when spinning crank with a ratchet I feel some resistance and must have aligned the cam with the crank incorrectly, again. (put crank 180 degrees from TDC and installed cam 90 degrees back from TDC- followed MyTurboDiesel instructions on a passat).
If anyone knows the proper way to align them I'd be forever grateful because I'd like to see this thing run soon and don't wanna bend anything again.
Thanks so much!
Kyle
Ah I just replaced my cam! Never did an oil change before so cam was first time working on a car actually....so I turned over by hand first and could not. Timing between crank and cam wasn’t correct. What I did was set crank at TDC with the belt off the camshaft sprocket. Then once the crank was at TDC, I put belt onto sprocket at TDC and made sure the pin could go into the sprocket properly. Once you can put the pin in while the crank is at TDC, your timing is correct. Make sure to turn over by hand at the crank once your timing is correct. Then you can start the car and fine tune the timing via VCDS. If you have questions, feel free to contact Frank06 also, he is extremely helpful.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Hey guys,
Thanks so much!
Kyle
Why aren't you on MTD looking for help? ;)

I assume you are using lock down tools?

To install a cam: with crank at TDC, rotate backwards (counterclockwise) 90deg. Install camshaft and lock at TDC. Now rotate the crank back up to TDC (clockwise 90deg) and install your crank lock tool. Install and tension belt. Pretty straightforward.

If you rotate the crank back 180, yes #1 and #4 are bottom dead center but that also means #2 and #3 are at TDC. If you install the camshaft and tighten down you will bend a valve straight away (and likely snap some of your TTY cam cap bolts in the process).

HTH.