Disconnecting battery?

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
OK, I never thought I'd ask this, I'm embarassed..., but how the heck do you disconnect the stinkin' battery? (MKV)
Am I to believe I need a DIY with instructions and pictures for something so simple as disconnecting the battery?
Help me pls...it must be Alzheimer or something but I can't get the darn things out :mad:

ewheeler

Veteran Member
TDI
Camp Wht 2005.5 Jetta Pkg1
You also have to remove to bolts that hold the battery down to the plate. Take another look. You should see it.

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Thanks. But all I need to do, really, is disconnect the negative so I can run a trigger wire for the fog lights. I loosened the bolt to the clamp connector but it didn't seem to do anything. I mean, once you loosen the bolt it should be just "lift and remove", you'd think...

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
LF06VWJTDI said:
Thanks. But all I need to do, really, is disconnect the negative so I can run a trigger wire for the fog lights. I loosened the bolt to the clamp connector but it didn't seem to do anything. I mean, once you loosen the bolt it should be just "lift and remove", you'd think...
For starters, disconnect the POSITIVE First, then the NEGATIVE.
Once you loosen the Battery Clamp, grab the connector, and twist, as if you were openig a cheap American Beer.

;)

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Tim, you should always disconnect the negative first, maybe that's what you meant.
I tried twisting, pulling, scratching, and the whole nine yards. It doesn't come out...

I had a similar problem with my previous car (Maxima). I could get the stinkin' clamps out....

I'll try...thanks for the reply

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
LF06VWJTDI said:
Tim, you should always disconnect the negative first, maybe that's what you meant.
I tried twisting, pulling, scratching, and the whole nine yards. It doesn't come out...

I had a similar problem with my previous car (Maxima). I could get the stinkin' clamps out....

I'll try...thanks for the reply
Agreed on - first. If + first, when wrenching on +, the wrench is "hot" to body ground.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
Does anyone know if disconnecting the battery will allow any Vag-com changes to revert to default? I've always read where a 9 volt battery hooked to a cigarette lighter plug will keep the computer memory, the performance criterion so it doesn't have to learn it over, but changing say the steering assist, is that in non-volatile memory?

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
So 12 hours later and 12 gallons of sweat, I'm back...and I'm pis..d :mad:

The rear fog lights mod didn't work, The light switch has no darn tab that pulls up and I had to bust the shell open to do the wiring, I managed to break the grey-white wire, and to top it off after I reconnected the battery, I have a rock-hard-moving steering wheel dressed up with steering warning light. ***!!!! I'm starting to hate this piece of plasticky junk of a car...

I did a full scan and this is what VAG-COM found:

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AA HW: 1K0 907 379 AA
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0102
Coding: 0021122
Shop #: WSC 00066

1 Fault Found:
01309 - Power Steering Control Module (J500)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Address 44: Steering Assist
Part No: 1K1 909 144 K
Component: EPS_ZFLS Kl.3 D06 1701

1 Fault Found:
02546 - Steering Limit Stop
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 2480 km
Temperature: 61.0°C
Voltage: 13.60 V
Voltage: 13.50 V

What do I do now, besides probably opening a new thread? :mad:
Help! :(

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
R2point0 said:
You can get a battery terminal puller at a FLAPS. They look like a very small 2-arm gear puller. Quite handy in such a situation - it pulls straight up, so you don't run the risk of hurting the battery internals with twisting and prying, etc.

Here's an example:
http://www.autopart.com/tools/toolsmain/tool/T_A330.htm
Why would you need a puller to remove the terminal clips? If you undo the the nuts, they pull right off by hand. Would you use a hammer to reinstall?

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015, Silver; Passat, 1997, Blue
dieseldave2006 said:
Why would you need a puller to remove the terminal clips? If you undo the the nuts, they pull right off by hand. Would you use a hammer to reinstall?
If he was asking about the battery terminal posts, sometimes a puller is needed to remove the clamps that have corroded on or are otherwise stuck - it does happen. If he was referring to the wires going to the term block, then he wouldn't have used the term "clamps" specifically (ref. 3rd post).

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
yes I did use the term 'clamps' improperly, the wire connectors or terminal is what I meant to say, hey...give me a slack I'm not a mechanic, just an enthus :p .

I bought a terminal puller at a local Autozone for less than 3 bucks. That did the job. ;)

oh by the way, the second time I tried they pulled out just fine and using my bare hands...as I've always done.