Whats my car worth?

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
2004 jetta tdi sport. Stage two tune. Upgraded clutch and turbo 12,000 miles on them). Bilstein shocks. Newer breaks New timing belt. No rust great shape. 5sp. Pirelli winter and summer tires with lots of tread...

Thats the good news. The bad news...

300,000 miles on it. Dropped a valve.

Im trying to figure out how much its worth.

Are there any members that can put a fair price on it? Or am i better off parting out the goid stuff and scrapping the car?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
With a dropped valve I'd say that it goes without saying that you've got "newer breaks!";)

What's the going rate in your market area? I monitor stuff up there and readily see functioning ALHs going for $3,000 (albeit with high kms; and, 01ms [though there are 5spds too]).

Unless you've pulled the head and can describe the level of damage then one can only assume the engine is total trash.

MKIV carcasses are pretty cheap.

300,000 miles or KMs?

If you're willing to spend a bunch of time parting it out you might be able to get $2.5k, but that depends on the condition of parts.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Without a dropped valve, running good you might get 3-4k, with a dropped valve, no dice.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
Theres money in the turbo and clutch i think. Borge werner turbo. Southbend endurance clutch. Has a boost and egt guage in it. No rust. Fully loaded. Its sounding more and more like a parts car.

Oh. Just over 480,000 kms. That works out to 300,000 miles.

I do know i have no compressionin one of the cylinders. I havent opened it up.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
With that car in good shape I would try to find a used longblock for under $1000.
Frans at DAP perhaps. But if you have to pay someone else to do the work then no.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. I dont have time to do the work. Nor do i have the tools. Anybody in the vancouver area want to buy it for a grand? Lol.

It has audi bushings in it as well as newish inner and outer cv joints. And i mean the good ones. Not the cheap knock offs that wear out quickly. I did care for that thing when it was running.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I replaced my 'dropped valve' engine over a period of 4 months just doing it on weekends.
Not a problem when you have a nice garage to work in but not for everybody.

Maybe whoever did your new timing belt will fess up and fix his damage!

Last edited:

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced my 'dropped valve' engine over a period of 4 months just doing it on weekends.
Not a problem when you have a nice garage to work in but not for everybody.

Maybe whoever did your new timing belt will fess up and fix his damage!

I was out of town and i told my old man where to get it done and how much it will cost. Instead he went to a guy his friend knew and the guy did the belt. Left the old water pump in and (SAVED MY OLD MAN A FEW BUCKS). Needless to say months later i had that pump replaced... you really made me wonder with that timing belt post.

I work over 60 hours a week including saturdays and that sunday is for resting the cuts and bruises. I have a garage. But little time unfortunately.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
You've owned and been here a lot longer than I have.
I think a botched TB job is the most common reason for losing a valve, right?;)

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
It is what it is. Im not about to go point a finger at a guy that may have done substandard work over a year ago.

I think im going to pull the turbo and clutch out. Try to sell them here. The car will likely be donated to the kidney foundation for a $500 tax credit. Best car i ever owned. Should put $1500 plus a couple bucks in my pocket i think.

That garage space will be spoken for soon i hope.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Drop turbovan+tdi a PM (or e-mail; he's not hanging around here much these days).

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
^^^

He's also next to Paul @ autobahn dismantlers. I'm pretty sure they have a motor or two kicking around and are very fair price wise.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
^^^

He's also next to Paul @ autobahn dismantlers. I'm pretty sure they have a motor or two kicking around and are very fair price wise.
Thanks for all the help. I really do have a great amput of respect for all the members of fred's.

Its my wish to sell my beloved jetta. At one point i was thinking to remove the seats and strip the interior and rebuild it for track only. But my 335d will end up doing track and city one day. With any luck the dieselgate scandle will put an a7 tdi in my lap. With my cummins for winter use i cant see myself with four vehicles.

This jetta should be rebuilt and put on the road for a deserving young diesel geek of for a person that wants massive milage on a pre dieselgate car. But im no auto mechanic and I have little personal time to spare. Woman and family first you know.

The car is in nice shape. If a member here wants to take on a little hobby then im willing to be super reasonable in selling it or its parts.

I know than even without the block in it the kidney foundation would auction off the car to some mechanic and i get a tax credit. But i would rather see that car on the road and loved for many years to come.

Sorry guys. Long post. That scotch is working its magic.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Well, we're just out in Surrey if you want to see what a 335D can do ;). I'd give Paul a call, if the car is solid other than the blow motor he might give you something reasonable. Donations have their perks, and odds are the car will still be kept on the road. These cars are starting to become scarce in the Vancouver area, ICBC likes to write off everything they can and a lot of parts aren't saved either.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, we're just out in Surrey if you want to see what a 335D can do ;). I'd give Paul a call, if the car is solid other than the blow motor he might give you something reasonable. Donations have their perks, and odds are the car will still be kept on the road. These cars are starting to become scarce in the Vancouver area, ICBC likes to write off everything they can and a lot of parts aren't saved either.
Agreed. This one is quite pretty. Not riced out at all. The debadging is a nice touch. Titanium grey. Wolfburge seats inside. Everything works. Worked. Lol

And sure. You have access to a tuned d? It would be interesting to see. On a sunday maybe?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i could be interested in a project car!
Yea! It's always better to keep one of these cars from becoming a pile of parts. (I look at several cars for parts and then start to feel bad- I don't know whether I could turn one into parts- I did that with a gasser, that's a different story:D [2.0 with a bad rod and an 01m].)

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Yea! It's always better to keep one of these cars from becoming a pile of parts. (I look at several cars for parts and then start to feel bad- I don't know whether I could turn one into parts- I did that with a gasser, that's a different story:D [2.0 with a bad rod and an 01m].)
i want to buy a big property and a barn with lots of stalls so i can rescue all the mk4's i can find and have a place where they can run free and be happy! lol. No but seriously, it's probably a good thing i don't have a lot of money, otherwise i'd have so many tdi's i'd need my own parking garage.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI

I think theres More life left to live in my old (poor man's mercedes) jetta.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
i want to buy a big property and a barn with lots of stalls so i can rescue all the mk4's i can find and have a place where they can run free and be happy! lol. No but seriously, it's probably a good thing i don't have a lot of money, otherwise i'd have so many tdi's i'd need my own parking garage.
My place is starting to look like a TDI fleet yard from all the rescues, but I agree. Was thinking of starting a business buying up left for dead MK4 TDIs cars, rehabing them and selling them. Problem is by the time its set and done you can easily have nearly 15 grand into the car....

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I realize you are not from the "Lower 49", but just for giggles I went to Reno-West Coast CL, and the price of MK4 TDI's are astronomical. I was looking a wagons, not coupes so maybe this post is irrelevant. :)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My place is starting to look like a TDI fleet yard from all the rescues, but I agree. Was thinking of starting a business buying up left for dead MK4 TDIs cars, rehabing them and selling them. Problem is by the time its set and done you can easily have nearly 15 grand into the car....
Yes, there is no better feeling than spending 200 hours and $10,000 fixing up a 2003 TDI and selling it for $5,000. :D

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, there is no better feeling than spending 200 hours and $10,000 fixing up a 2003 TDI and selling it for $5,000. :D

Yeah. I think the market lives within a small community of enthusiasts who want to keep the car alive until for another 300,000 miles after that $10,000 gets spent.

Its the only way to get their money's worth.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. I think the market lives within a small community of enthusiasts who want to keep the car alive until for another 300,000 miles after that $10,000 gets spent.
Its the only way to get their money's worth.

20 years from now in some strange dystopian future the laws will finally mandate that human driven cars be declaired illegal. And we will watch on the news a story about a very smug and pleasent septuagenerian who brews his own fuel from used french fri oil and gets 700 plus miles per tank from his 1988 jetta td 5sp. We will all cheer him on and wipe a tear from our eye as his car and the diesel will finally be put to rest in favour of the satelite driven electric pod that looks eerily silimar to the cars that woody allen got around in from the movie sleeper.

Remember this post!!!!!

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
20 years from now in some strange dystopian future the laws will finally mandate that human driven cars be declaired illegal. And we will watch on the news a story about a very smug and pleasent septuagenerian who brews his own fuel from used french fri oil and gets 700 plus miles per tank from his 1988 jetta td 5sp. We will all cheer him on and wipe a tear from our eye as his car and the diesel will finally be put to rest in favour of the satelite driven electric pod that looks eerily silimar to the cars that woody allen got around in from the movie sleeper.

Remember this post!!!!!
I can see it now...Once caught driving your 1998 TDI with 657,000 miles on it, you will be put in a cell and forced to eat 5 pounds of greasy french fires per day for 30 days. That will get you off the oil habit.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
You've owned and been here a lot longer than I have.
I think a botched TB job is the most common reason for losing a valve, right?;)

Update. Turns out to be a botched timing belt job. 5 stripped teeth off the wheel. 3 out if the four cylinders gone. It popped bigtime. Cam looked good.

Car got a new block and will likely be fired up in a few days.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup, it's like an addiction. Nearly impossible to kick!;)

Just slip that block underneath everything else and you're back in the game:D

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
Its started!!! Test drive tomorrow once its insured!!

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
Its off to a chop for a quick looksee to be sure nothing was missed.