Getting ready for 300k maintenance what do I need?

baggedmazda

TDI
2001 golf tdi 5 speed
So getting ready to hit 300k I will be doing a timing belt single mass flywheel kit and some bigger injectors (undecided on the size yet something that won't kill the new clutch) and probably a Malone tune. Is there anything else that needs addressed?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
At 300k I'd do the oil pump, front seal (gotta take off enough to get to it easily to do the oil pump), cam and lifters. Any of those fail and you're hosed. It's your car, but that's what I would put in MINE at that mileage.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The high mileage timing belt kit includes a new serpentine belt tensioner, if you did not order the "high mileage" kit yet, I would suggest you do so.

baggedmazda

TDI
2001 golf tdi 5 speed
I have not yet just getting info on what I need at this point I think I will ever having a local tdi guy do the job for me I feel the 625 he asks is a pretty decent deal and he comes to you apparently

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
$625 IS a (very) decent price; I'd get a list of what he's changing for that price, as I don't think I'd do it for you at that price, done correctly, with the parts I'd put in the car.

I guarantee that's NOT including the oil pump, front seal, cam and lifters!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I agree on cam and lifters if they've never been done, along with front main seal. Replace the rear main seal when replacing the flywheel and clutch. And a new thermostat wouldn't hurt. Also, consider a new engine bracket (threads tend to strip out after several timing belt changes), and perhaps a cam sprocket if you don't know who replaced the other timing belts. If they over-torqued the bolt it can deform the sprocket causing it to slip and the engine to lose time.

Also replace the front engine mount, and the dogbone if it's not been done lately.

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
I agree on cam and lifters if they've never been done, along with front main seal. Replace the rear main seal when replacing the flywheel and clutch. And a new thermostat wouldn't hurt. Also, consider a new engine bracket (threads tend to strip out after several timing belt changes), and perhaps a cam sprocket if you don't know who replaced the other timing belts. If they over-torqued the bolt it can deform the sprocket causing it to slip and the engine to lose time.

Also replace the front engine mount, and the dogbone if it's not been done lately.
How challenging is it to replace the front engine mount?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Technically there's an engine mount near the timing belt and two transmission mounts, one of which is the dogbone. Dogbone is easy, and the other transmission mount is usually more durable than the others so I didn't suggest changing it.