2012 GTI wheels on 2012 Golf TDI?

iRG

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
So I've been wanting to get a different set of wheels for my 2012 Golf and I was thinking of the GTI or any 18" wheels, but I'm not sure how that would work out or if it's even recommended. Has anyone done this? If you guys have any pictures that would also be great, but any feedback is well appreciated.Thanks.

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG

here is what I am running... about 6lbs lighter per wheel than the stock GTI setup. On par with the stock 17s.

But I hate my road/tire noise. The car became overbearingly loud... which may may have something to do with my sumitomo tires.

iRG

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
The 19" look pretty awesome. Would that be the biggest I would be able to get away? or should I just do 18"? I'm debating on that.

iRG

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
I don't like the one that passat offers they are not bad I think I'll do 18" although with the 19" does it ever hit the edge when going through a bump and carrying people?

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
Nah, I'm at stock ride height and have plenty of clearance. The wheels are only 8.5" wide with +45 offset, so they are almost flush(hate that term) with the fenders. The suspension geometry won't let them hit the fenders. Just make sure you don't go too wild with the width and offset and you won't have issues.

CarrboroTDI

TDI
2011None now. Old: JSW 6spd, Bilsteins, Eibach sport springs, rear anti-sway. 2003 Golf 4dr 5spd (sold)
wheels - back to basics

...The wheels are only 8.5" wide with +45 offset.... Just make sure you don't go too wild with the width and offset and you won't have issues.
Hey,
Thought I'd jump in with a few comments for iRG in case you weren't getting the full picture.

Things to think about:
Bolt pattern
width and offset
effect on ride/handling

All the RECENT** Golfs, Jettas, and Passats have the same bolt pattern (5x112). This is an absolute. You must have the right bolt pattern. **(slightly older golf and jettas had 5x100).

They also have a positive offset. You can get some funky wheel that has too little or too much offset (not a vw wheel, but some inappropriate aftermarket wheel). You could put them on, they might run, they might mess up the handling. So while it's possible, don't do that.

As VeeDubFreak points out, "Just make sure you don't go too wild with the width and offset and you won't have issues."

Which brings me to diameter and thus ride quality/handling. You asked if 19" was a big as you could go with these cars. Remember that as the wheel gets bigger, the rubber on the tire gets shorter (lower profile). You can get bigger wheels to fit. It's back to the width issue that will get you, as the wider wheel will rub.

But regarding big wheels and low profile tires, there's a diminishing return as you get bigger and bigger and a worse ride quality to suffer with. All of this is a balance.

For me, that means the biggest I'd put on your car is an 18" wheel. It should offer you snug handling without knocking you around too much. 19"? I personally don't see the point. 20"? I'm starting to laugh.

I hope this helps paint the bigger picture.

iRG

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
That completely makes sense. I think also the 18" would be a better fit. I want to buy VW wheels though (the ones offered for the own models). I think they have some cool designs as the one I showed earlier and that one is 18" Although I won't deny that the 19" look pretty cool haha!...

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
I went 19" because my GLI had 18"s and well, I wanted bigger :) 235/35/19 is only a smidge less sidewall than 225/40/18" and I never had any issues with bending my 18s.