Diesel Additive

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
I believe all the fuel in NS comes from the Imperial refinery in Dartmouth.
It's my understanding that each Brand uses their own Additive formula.
I do wonder if all the fuel has a 5% bio mix right now.

thanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I believe all the fuel in NS comes from the Imperial refinery in Dartmouth.
It's my understanding that each Brand uses their own Additive formula.
I do wonder if all the fuel has a 5% bio mix right now.

AFAIK you're right, EXCEPT Irving... last I'd heard they bring their fuels in from their NB refinery.

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Correct. I grew up in Middleton, down in the Valley. There is a small fishing village called Margarettsville on the North Mountain. Irving has/had giant storage tanks in that village. Tankers would cross the Bay of Fundy from Saint John and pump into those containers. The lines were quite a bit out in the bay and the tanks were high up on a bluff. Not sure if it's still in operation or not, hence the has/had. Must check with a friend of mine who still lives there. There is also a similar setup in Yarmouth. The same friend who lives in Margaretsville also used to haul for Irving out of the Yamouth facility. Not sure if it was furnace oil, gas, diesel, or a combo that was stored in those tanks though, but will check with him.

AFAIK you're right, EXCEPT Irving... last I'd heard they bring their fuels in from their NB refinery.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
That begs the question then if we have a temp "pass" on bio blend, will the producers wait till the end of 2012 or introduce it ASAP?

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Hi all.
New to the forum and new to the Maritime region.

With a quick answer of a Yes or No....would you guys say its safe to just fuel up at the Irving stations without using any additives on a 2012 model?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
With a quick answer of a Yes or No....would you guys say its safe to just fuel up at the Irving stations without using any additives on a 2012 model?
Sorry about this, but I have to answer probably (rather than yes or no). The biggest issue regarding additives pertains to US diesel fuel. Canada has the same lubricity standards as they have in Europe. These are the same standards called for by Bosch (the makers of our fuel pumps). The problem is that US standards are not as high as European or Canadian standards. The biggest issue in Canada is probably anti-gel additives in the winter, but this applies to all diesels not just new ones.

Have Fun!

Don

HeavyFuel325

TDI
None
Sorry about this, but I have to answer probably (rather than yes or no). The biggest issue regarding additives pertains to US diesel fuel. Canada has the same lubricity standards as they have in Europe. These are the same standards called for by Bosch (the makers of our fuel pumps). The problem is that US standards are not as high as European or Canadian standards. The biggest issue in Canada is probably anti-gel additives in the winter, but this applies to all diesels not just new ones.

Have Fun!

Don
I thought US and Canadian fuels were fairly close. What is the lubricity difference?

For Atlantic Canada, any word on progress towards biofuel supply for mixture with diesel by end of year?

Thanks.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I thought US and Canadian fuels were fairly close. What is the lubricity difference?
In Canada the lubricity specification is 460um (just like in Europe). However, in the US the spec is 520um. Bosch recommends 460 or lower (lower is better). Other than for lubricity, I think that the US and Canadian specs are pretty close. I have no idea as to whether or not the Canadian oil companies are any better at meeting these specs than US oil companies.

Have Fun!

Don