10k service not free unless at original dealership?

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I took my '15 GSW in today for the 10k service. Had to pay $150, was told it was free only for cars purchased from their dealership. Is that true?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Ouch, that's an awfully expensive oil change. I think that's basically a judgement call the individual dealerships can make. I'd call it poor judgement as far as encouraging future sales, but maybe they figure they can make up for it by fleecing customers with $150 oil changes.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Normally they just bill Volkswagen for reimbursement. Has nothing to do with what dealer. Unless something changed, which it may have. Seems like this would have been discussed beforehand.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I think you need to call VOA. That is baloney. The first oil change is included and I believe you can get it done anywhere. I wouldn't go back to that dealer if I were you and I would let everyone know they stink.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I think you need to call VOA. That is baloney. The first oil change is included and I believe you can get it done anywhere. I wouldn't go back to that dealer if I were you and I would let everyone know they stink.
Bingo. Call VWoA, sound like a sad puppy dog, be nice, and they may lavish you with some compensation.

Remind them of this on your window sticker. As long as you’re not past 1 year or 10k, they owe you:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That's a good suggestion. Some sort of reimbursement should be available from VWoA. And I'd also never set foot in that dealership again.

SKAAUDIVW

TDI
2015 GSW manual
Same thing happened to me I posted about it few months ago. I paid then went to the car found the sticker and made them refund my card. They were being idiots about it acting all stupid. I love making them squirm and then they are frantically typing looking on there PC's for what? An answer that says im right? It's clear as day it's free so fight it you'll get your money back.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I bought my car at one dealer in Massachusetts...
Then had my 10k done in NH...
No ISSUES....
And the "oil change" at the dealership was posted as $69 at mine on their express service sign...so a very $$$ price at yours...
Sure...the 20k cost more since it includes a fuel filter.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I took my '15 GSW in today for the 10k service. Had to pay $150, was told it was free only for cars purchased from their dealership. Is that true?

Did you buy new? or pick it up as a low mile buy back?

first oil change is free, but first owner could have had the oil change a while ago as it hit the yearly interval was up.

Also our buy back received free oil change this past Dec, after they "changed" the oil when we bought it in April.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
My local dealer told me the same thing and also told me they wouldn't warranty the battery. Went to a different dealer and they completed the included service and replaced the battery no charge. Maybe it's worthwhile bringing your window sticker to that dealer and maybe they will refund you.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I have to wonder if these dealers are double dipping. Charging the customer and then submitting compensation requests to VW. In any event they aren't doing themselves any favors in gaining customers

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
At a more local dealer I just had my 10K service and some little warranty issues looked at/fixed, no charge for any of it. Even got a followup call this morning asking if I was satisfied and if I had any questions. First time I'd ever been to this dealer.

Bought the car last year at a different dealer that I'll never ever visit again.

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
I had my 10k done for free at another dealer than the one I purchased it from. Like everyone has said, what they are telling you is complete BS, never believe a dealer. Subaru tried to tell my GF her warranty would be voided if she did any maintenance at another dealership. I went back with her and straightened them out. So many people believe them they just say whatever to get your $$$.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Did you buy new? or pick it up as a low mile buy back?
first oil change is free, but first owner could have had the oil change a while ago as it hit the yearly interval was up.
Also our buy back received free oil change this past Dec, after they "changed" the oil when we bought it in April.
I bought new, one of the stop sale cars from 2015. Got it in June 2017, I'm first/original owner.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Thanks, everybody. I'll go back to them tomorrow and raise some hell. I found the sticker and can hardly wait to shove it under their noses.

I'll let you know how it went.

Last edited:

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Start with polite.
I didn't have to go back. Just made a phone call and left a message (was not impolite, but did use an annoyed tone: basically told them it appeared they made a mistake, and I would like this settled amicably or I'd take it up with VWoA) yesterday. They called me back this morning and said they'd refund my credit card.

"I apologize. It had been a while since we had 2015's in for the 10k mile service, so I made a mistake. Your card will be refunded."

I'm glad it's resolved. This dealership is conveniently located 3mi from home. My wife just got a new 2017 Jetta from them in late August.

It also turns out the problems I used to have over the summer with the "reduce oil level" MFD message in my GSW were probably due to the original dealer in NY overfilling it. I got rid of that message after I pumped out 3/4 of a quart of oil sometime in September. I took the car in twice before that but they refused to do that themselves, said the oil level was fine. They ordered a new sensor but then I told them I wasn't going to have it replaced because the problem went away.

So, I was a bit concerned they'd overfill it last Friday when I had this 10k mi service, but drove about 520mi to DC and back in the meantime and no funny message so far. Let's hope it stays this way.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Dealer nearest too me (Graham in Sioux Falls didn't think was free, but selling dealer (Mankato Motors Mankato, MN) did the 10k service no charge, despite being a few hundred miles over 10k.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I was 2,000 miles over, no issues.
And without a low DEF warning, not sure how far it’ll go on a tank of that stuff.

Did my own oil change at 5K, let the dealer do the free one with oil I supplied at 12k. I’ll do my own from here on out at the recommend 10k.