www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old January 20th, 2018, 10:41   #18736
red16vdub
Veteran Member

Default What did you do to your car today?

I re swap Ecu's, replacing my rc4+ for what I thought was dead asv-rc5+ . Also I had 2 bad Bosch glow plugs, so I decided to replace all 4 with Beru units which I've always had better cold starts with anyways. I'm surprised the Bosch only lasted 2-1/2 years smh.

Bajan
17/56 turbo, RC ASV-5+ @ 28psi, 3 Bar Map, 11mm IP, PD Lift Pump, R520's, McNally boost/egt, Euro FIS full screen Cluster, PD 150 Intake/racepipe, PD 150 plastic T.I.P + R32 maf air mods, Kerma 2.5" Fmic, Kerma 3"T-B exhaust/resonator/ Aero turbine muffler, SBC stage 3 Endurance, GLi brakes F/R , GLi axles, H&R Bilstein sports cup kit.
red16vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 10:51   #18737
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Chipped out of the ice so I could go to the gym. Silly weather we're having up here - I'll be glad when I move.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 14:45   #18738
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
Chipped out of the ice so I could go to the gym. Silly weather we're having up here - I'll be glad when I move.

Cheers,

PH
To where are you moving?

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 09:23   #18739
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Florida is the plan, so we're trading months of sub-zero weather and frozen pipes for the possibility of the occasional hurricane and the guarantee of bugs that are big and populous sufficient to carry you away and eat you elsewhere. Gotta sell the house first, and gotta do some painting and other repairs before that will fly.

Sigh...

PH
Old January 27th, 2018, 15:05   #18740
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Florida is the plan, so we're trading months of sub-zero weather and frozen pipes for the possibility of the occasional hurricane and the guarantee of bugs that are big and populous sufficient to carry you away and eat you elsewhere. Gotta sell the house first, and gotta do some painting and other repairs before that will fly.

Sigh...

PH
That is what we're doing here except we are going to Prescott, AZ. The plan is to sell this house, rent while looking, then after buying do any renovations before moving in. We were going to paint after removing the wallpaper but decided to leave it white and let the new owners paint their preference.

Gotta figure how to get 3 cars to AZ AND which one will be parked outside! It'll probably stay the Jetta.

The fleet:
Old January 27th, 2018, 15:26   #18741
dandywriter
Veteran Member

Adapted the sunroof which got seriously out of phase with the switch somehow (first time in 12 years).
2006 Jetta TDI 5-sp, Bosal hitch, frostheater, evo skidplate, upgraded rear springs and front spring dist kit (1" lift), GIAC Stg 1 tune, USA Spec iPod adapter, SMF clutch, Coolant Heater Grill Outlet, winter front, LED backup and lic lights, VCDS

dandywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 05:02   #18742
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
That is what we're doing here except we are going to Prescott, AZ. The plan is to sell this house, rent while looking, then after buying do any renovations before moving in. We were going to paint after removing the wallpaper but decided to leave it white and let the new owners paint their preference.

Gotta figure how to get 3 cars to AZ AND which one will be parked outside! It'll probably stay the Jetta.
Ha! If I were going back to AZ, that is probably where I'd end up. Unfortunately for me, the wife insists on proximity to the ocean. Prescott gives you tolerable summer temps (why the first capital was there) and in winter, an occasional dusting of snow is about all you'll have to put up with. Unless there is a 3 foot blizzard in Flagstaff that bleeds south that is...

And we have the same how-to-move-3-cars problem!

Cheers,

PH
Old January 30th, 2018, 05:35   #18743
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
Ha! ... snip...

Car transport-haulers?

... cost = approx $1.25 per mile

... 45-50 years ago rent a u-haul bumper hitch ~~ $15-20 (?)

... In my 1966 Chevy SS (327) I hauled my BILs VW across 3 states at 65-70 MPH

... HIS VW HAD A BLOWN ENGINE
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 09:45   #18744
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ha! If I were going back to AZ, that is probably where I'd end up. Unfortunately for me, the wife insists on proximity to the ocean. Prescott gives you tolerable summer temps (why the first capital was there) and in winter, an occasional dusting of snow is about all you'll have to put up with. Unless there is a 3 foot blizzard in Flagstaff that bleeds south that is...

Cheers,

PH
That is why I chose it - out of the triple digit heat (had enough of it here in Oroville) and out of the snow area.

As for the cars, it would work if I could fly from Prescott to Oroville rather than drive to Phoenix, fly to Sacramento, drive to Oroville so I could get the third car. At least you also have the Auto-train option back east.

The fleet:
Old January 30th, 2018, 19:15   #18745
Todd13

TDI(s): 03 golf tdi

Dropped a another good bit of money, replacing my injection pump today...
Todd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 11:40   #18746
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

I really think my cheapest option is fly one way and drive the other. I can do one in a weekend that way. Any shipping option I have seen is more than the car is worth.

PH
Old February 1st, 2018, 13:37   #18747
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

and

Old February 1st, 2018, 21:39   #18748
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Went out and started my car tonight after work, went back inside to let it warm up. Came out ~30 min later, car was cold.

Scangauge was up at ~165F, ice cold air coming out of the floor vents. Left my hand down at the vent and revved the engine to ~1500 RPM and suddenly lots of heat. Brought it back down to idle and the heat didn't go away or cool off even after ~60 seconds with the fan on 3, if anything it kept getting warmer (and scangauge lost 5+ degrees).

Everything else is relatively normal. Had this happen at least one other time this winter. Other times it warms up just fine (as fine as can be expected for a TDI ).

Coolant level is fine, just under mid way on coolant reservoir ball.

Thoughts?
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 08:53   #18749
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
Went out and started my car tonight after work, went back inside to let it warm up. Came out ~30 min later, car was cold.

Scangauge was up at ~165F, ice cold air coming out of the floor vents. Left my hand down at the vent and revved the engine to ~1500 RPM and suddenly lots of heat. Brought it back down to idle and the heat didn't go away or cool off even after ~60 seconds with the fan on 3, if anything it kept getting warmer (and scangauge lost 5+ degrees).

Everything else is relatively normal. Had this happen at least one other time this winter. Other times it warms up just fine (as fine as can be expected for a TDI ).

Thoughts?
Collapsed hose on heater core? Reving the engine increased the coolant pressure temporarily opening the hose could account for the sudden heat.

The fleet:
Old February 3rd, 2018, 16:34   #18750
narongc73
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post

Thoughts?
You warm your car up for half an hour? Talk about waste and not good for the car. Get a webasto
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote