Diesel smell

NOLA_TDI

Veteran Member
Is there any reason why when I open my windows and/or sunroof, there is a strong smell of diesel inside the cabin? Random question for sure. ;)

NOLA_TDI

Veteran Member
I mean, it's pretty unbearable. So bad that you think there would be a noticeable noise level difference in the exhaust.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Get it checked and fixed fast. Even with the windows closed some is probablu getting in. Probably get a free check at a muffler place.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
No offense, but the "chopped off" style of the Golf tends to create more vacuum at the rear of the vehicle..........so, check for poor sealing of the gasket around the deck lid!

In the '80s I drove diesel Rabbits........ diesel odor was a problem if the back deck lid was ajar or the seal was comprimised!

Last edited:

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
With a souped up DCell obviously I smell some diesel exhaust backing up out my garage, my mechanic friend even likes it working on gas engines all day, but if you are smelling it every day there is a problem. Exhaust leak is obvious, but check for an intake leak (from turbo to intake manifold). My hose going to the intake manifold split a little bit, and i didn't notice for little bit and it smoked like all hell when taking off from stops. Also pretty stinky. Stock car taking off from stops I always tended to floor it, I can see sitting in soot for a second.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Check the engine fuel hoses for leaks, especially the return hoses joining the injectors.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Is there any reason why when I open my windows and/or sunroof, there is a strong smell of diesel inside the cabin? Random question for sure. ;)
Check for fuel leaks. I had that happen on my '85 Jetta TD once and I thought the tractor-trailer in front of me had a bad fuel leak. Turns out the little termination nipple on the #4 injector rotted out and diesel fuel was being sprayed on my hot motor.

--Nate

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Read the posts ...........

The OP says it is Burned Fuel....the posts that follow all refer to EXHAUST....not leaking fuel!

NOLA_TDI

Veteran Member
Thanks for your thoughts...I am going to get it checked out, just wanted to narrow down some options.