Clutch master and slave bleeding problem! Please helpn

berg.t@yahoo.com

TDI
Mk4 Jetta tdi
2004 Jetta TDI wagan. A few days ago my clutch pedal went soft and the clutch wouldn't disengage fully. I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinder. I'm bleeding through the slave bc that's the only way I know how. I have decient clutch pedal pressure, but the clutch will not fully disengage. I have to force it into gear, and it wants to learch forward when i force it into gear. Anything will help. Thanks

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
A method I read about is to run a pipe from the front brake caliper to the clutch bleed nipple, loosen both then pump the brake pedal gently. This will push the air up and into the reservoir.

It defo sounds like you've still got air, it can take a bit of doing to get it all out

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Not sure if the 2004 is the same as the ALHs, but I did it in minutes with a pressure bleeder. I suggest getting one of those.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If you're getting decent pedal pressure it might be worth having a helper activate the clutch while you watch the slave.

If you can see the slave working properly while a helper activates the clutch the problem is likely a mechanical issue inside the bell housing, rather than a hydraulic one.

berg.t@yahoo.com

TDI
Mk4 Jetta tdi
I'm hoping it's not a mechanical problem. I first replaced the slave, after bleeding it the clutch worked perfectly, for about 10 minutes, then it went soft. I then changed the master, and now the pedal stays pretty firm, bit not fully disengaging.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
When you pulled the salve, was there fluid on the fork?

norel

TDI
2004 alh wagon, 91 golf 1z, 05 golf, 05 passat, 06 jetta
I had a pretty hard time last time bleeding mine on my swap after accidently pushing in pedal with slave disconnected. I ended up running a piece of tubing from bleeder on slave cylinder back into brake reservoir, barely cracking bleeder open, and pumping clutch pedal several dozen times. After doing that I was able to bleed it manually. Hopefully it's not something wrong in bell housing.

norel

TDI
2004 alh wagon, 91 golf 1z, 05 golf, 05 passat, 06 jetta
I've also had a break in the nipple on brake reservoir repeatedly introducing air. It acted like I let res get too low while bleeding, even when it was full.

Kerry Kergan

TDI
2004 Jetta
I have a problem bleeding my 2004 Jetta TDI wagon, pedal went soft and would not release the clutch. Replaced both slave and master and have bled it to death but the clutch pedal remains soft. Clear fluid coming out the bleed screw. Is it possible to have air trapped in the system? Pedal returns but no clutch action.