Clutch slave bleeding process

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
Hi all, going to be flushing brake lines and clutch slave next weekend using a Motive Power bleeder. As this is my first time doing this service myself, I have read up and watched DIY videos (IDParts.com has a good one) and further note the order for bleeding on a 2005 Golf is: Left Front, Right Front, Left Rear, Right Rear, where left is driver's side and right is passenger's side. Pretty straight forward.

I do not know where bleeding the clutch slave should fall in this order. Furthermore, is bleeding the clutch simply opening the bleeder and flushing in the same manner as on the brake calipers? Again, using the power bleeder? Advice on the proper operating procedure is most appreciated, thanks very much.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I've always bled the clutch by using a helper, but you should be able to accomplish it using the power bleeder. I would do the clutch last, since it's higher up on the fluid reservoir, you'll want to get the reservoir flushed first, which is accomplished by bleeding the rest of the system first.

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
I've always done the clutch after the brakes. I also follow the procedure as stated in the Bentley repair manual and have never had any issues.

From the Bentley:

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
Some further reading suggests no need to perform ABS bleed procedure with VCDS unless air gets in the system, such as if the fluid reservoir runs dry.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That is correct. Just top the resivoir off every few pumps and you'll be fine.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Interesting, using the Motive, I've never pumped anything.
Fill Motive with 1 large can brake fluid. Pressurize.
Run about 0.5 L fluid at each bleed screw, in order, finishing with the clutch. You only need to be sure the Motive does not run out of fluid. Using clear hose and bottle, it will be obvious when the old fluid is all out, no need for colored fluid. Finish by depressurizing and simply removing the cap on the MC. It will leave the system full, no mess. Sometimes I've had to do the whole procedure a 2nd time to get the pedal where I like it.