Random power loss, no engine code.

tonyweiss11

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Today when driving my 2001 TDI with 229k on it through some long inclines and hills/mountains in Tennessee on a road trip we experienced a sudden power loss. The cruise was set at 73 mph and we had no trouble coming from Kansas City the last two days of driving, then all of a sudden we were going up a long incline and the speedo started to drop a little bit. After noticing that, we turned off the cruise and reset it and it was doing the same thing. It seemed like there was no power really or acceleration. We drove the rest of the way and even in 1st-4th gears there seemed like there was no power or acceleration. On flat ground we could cruise fine at 73-75mph no trouble, it was just inclines or trying to accelerate. No engine codes were thrown and everything seems normal other than that.

No idea what this could be, maybe a turbo valve got stuck? Or maybe limp mode? Any idea what this could be or what things to check to find the problems. Thanks in advance.

Tony

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Sounds like it is in limp mode. Check for a loose or split boost hose or a non-functioning turbo actuator. Check all the vacuum hoses also.

een2102

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Today when driving my 2001 TDI with 229k on it through some long inclines and hills/mountains in Tennessee on a road trip we experienced a sudden power loss. The cruise was set at 73 mph and we had no trouble coming from Kansas City the last two days of driving, then all of a sudden we were going up a long incline and the speedo started to drop a little bit. After noticing that, we turned off the cruise and reset it and it was doing the same thing. It seemed like there was no power really or acceleration. We drove the rest of the way and even in 1st-4th gears there seemed like there was no power or acceleration. On flat ground we could cruise fine at 73-75mph no trouble, it was just inclines or trying to accelerate. No engine codes were thrown and everything seems normal other than that.

No idea what this could be, maybe a turbo valve got stuck? Or maybe limp mode? Any idea what this could be or what things to check to find the problems. Thanks in advance.

Tony

Did you have to shut the car down in order to restore power? If so, you had limp mode. If not, just recovering power after getting over the hill, it's something else....I am having the same problems and I am still throwing darts in the dark. I'll wait for more replies before I hack the thread.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Lack of CEL is odd, usually that comes on even when there aren't any real problems

try unplugging the MAF and restarting

tonyweiss11

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
So it appears to have been limp mode because after turning the car off power was restored as normal when we restarted driving. This has never happened before is there something that causes this or something in particular to check? I’ll start with turbo actuator and vacuum line investigation when we get home.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
So it appears to have been limp mode because after turning the car off power was restored as normal when we restarted driving. This has never happened before is there something that causes this or something in particular to check? I’ll start with turbo actuator and vacuum line investigation when we get home.
Mighty vac the turbo actuator. If you get over boost or under boost it will go into limp mode. The actuator is probably sticking. If that is the case and you replace it make sure you adjust it properly. There is a very good your tube video on it.

https://youtu.be/A476plY-sjo

tonyweiss11

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Turned out to be limp mode caused by a leak in one of the vacuum lines. Replaced them all and found a tiny pin hole in one of them, after replacement haven't seen the issue since!