DSG Removal

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
Well I'm pretty sure my tranny is pooched.

How involved is it to replace the tranny? I have a line on a good low mileage used one. Any special tips/tricks/tools need to R&R a DSG?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'd like to know more. Only 116k km? The DSG is barely broken in...
You might want to post symptoms here, for the various experts, prior to replacement.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Also DMF maybe pooched not the DSG, the DSG should have tons of codes/errors if its on it's way out, where as the DMF will make odd sounds getting worse and worse before it blows out the bell housing.

DMF is cheaper than a DSG, but still needs to remove the DSG to replace.

As far as a DIY look up an GTI DSG DIY and 90% will be the same, majority of the work is getting all the crap out of the way, pulling the axles, supporting the engine, then dropping her out.

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
Growling/scraping noise in 1st, 3rd, and 5th. Perfectly quiet in 2nd and 4th. Sounds like the noise a bad bearing makes.

Last edited:

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Are you 100% confident of fluid level? Did you measure the output and match the input, or did you overfill and drain when the transmission was at temperature?

Edit: were you noticing any symptoms before you changed the DSG fluid?

Last edited:

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
I drained out into a measuring container and put the exact same amount back in. I changed the oil right after I got the car. Only thing I noticed when I got it was a little zing sound just before it shifted from 1st to 2nd gear.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
DSG fluid volume is highly dependent on temperature, and an assumption is made that the correct level was present before you changed the oil. Before you go through the trouble and cost of throwing parts at the car, I would replace the DSG oil according to spec which involves overfilling the gearbox, warming the vehicle to a specific temperature, and removing the drain plug to allow the excess to flow into and out of the fill snorkel. Also, make sure the car is level when you do so.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you have a bearing whine, then yeah it is toast.. That sucks. You may try and source a used one.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
If you have a bearing whine, then yeah it is toast.. That sucks. You may try and source a used one.

Ouch now I know why DSG is whining..... :-/ I will wait until my 2015 Passat TDI gets her stage 2 fix tomorrow then I will bring my JSW TDI for whining issues. Its on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
My new to me 15 Passat's DSG is much louder than my perfectly shifting 2013 was