Any guess what this is?

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
I have a oil leak somewhere and its puddling up around the injector on the left closest to the passenger side. Any idea where its coming from? Or what needs replaced to stop the leak.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The injectors pass into the engine "cavity" where oil is, between the camshafts.

I have never done a CKRA, only the CBEA/CJAA engines, so they may be a little different.

What I *think* you need to reseal all four injectors:

WHT-005-478 x2 bolt

WHT-000-884 x4 o-ring

059-130-519 x4 seal

03L-103-070 x4 seal ring

03L-103-487 x2 seal ring

There is also a special puller tool to remove the injectors, and a special installer sleeve to slide the new seals on to the injectors. The injectors are also matched to each cylinder, so they cannot be moved around.

Last edited:

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
The injectors pass into the engine "cavity" where oil is, between the camshafts.

I have never done a CKRA, only the CBEA/CJAA engines, so they may be a little different.

WHT-005-478 x2 bolt

WHT-000-884 x4 o-ring

059-130-519 x4 seal

03L-103-070 x4 seal ring

03L-103-487 x2 seal ring

There is also a special puller tool to remove the injectors, and a special installer sleeve to slide the new seals on to the injectors. The injectors are also matched to each cylinder, so they cannot be moved around.

Thanks

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Wouldnt this technically be covered under the "Dieselgate" extended warranty?

If the OP's car is under 120k miles, I would suggest asking the dealership.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI

WHT-005-478 x2 bolt

WHT-000-884 x4 o-ring

059-130-519 x4 seal

03L-103-070 x4 seal ring

03L-103-487 x2 seal ring

I have my receipt from the repair on my passat. There are a few additional parts listed.
wht-005-302 x 4 seal ring
04L-130-126 x 2 clamp piece
wht-004-739 x 2 bolt
04L-103-487 x 2 washer
03L-103-483-c x 1 gasket

I do not have WHT-005-478 x2 bolt on my list. I do have a picture of the cover off, pretty cool :)

Last edited:

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se

WHT-005-478 x2 bolt

WHT-000-884 x4 o-ring

059-130-519 x4 seal

03L-103-070 x4 seal ring

03L-103-487 x2 seal ring

So I need to remove the cylinder head to do this job?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The head was not removed, just found it cool to see the inner workings and how clean it was at almost 60,000 miles.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I’m at 160k so I doubt it. But I guess it’s worth a try.
Isn't there a factor in warranty coverage of how long or how many miles since you had the fix done? For some reason, 48k miles rings a bell. How long has it been since your car was fixed?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Copied directly from the warranty booklet:

Warranty Period

The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited
warranty extension shall be the greater of:

 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
vehicle’s original in-service date; OR

 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
date and mileage of the emissions modification.
So basically, it is for 10 years / 120k miles from the original in service date OR 4 years 48,000 from the modification. Which ever is greater. So even if the OP is over 120k miles, as long as the modification was done less than 48k miles ago, he should be OK.

Last edited:

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
This poster has a Gen 2. I think the warranty is different from the Gen 3 one you posted.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Copied directly from the warranty booklet:

So basically, it is for 10 years / 120k miles from the original in service date OR 4 years 48,000 from the modification. Which ever is greater. So even if the OP is over 120k miles, as long as the modification was done less than 48k miles ago, he should be OK.
The warranty was updated in a letter mailed to gen 2 owners: 10 years and 3 months or 123,000 -or- 4 years and 3 months or 51,000 miles.

viperius

TDI
13 Passat SEL
Hello All. Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, I have the same issue on my CPO 2013 Passat.
I have already tried to claim this under CPO (apparently car has none) and TDI warranty but they were both declined.
Car has 90KM on it only put ~2000km on it since owning it for 2 month.

Dealer has recommended a valve cover gasket. unless they change the injector seals it won't be fixed with just the valve cover.

Will this cause issues later on? this seems to be a common problem with the CRKA motor.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
The seals on the injectors are o-rings that seal the injector from the cylinder head so oil does not seep down to the injectors.
The rubber seals that seal the injectors from oil getting past to the top of the valve cover are installed in the valve cover as as far as I know VW does not sell them separately and they are not included with the valve civer gasket. They do however come with the Mahle gasket kit # VS50663

f you need a set of the injector seals from the mahle kit, I have a set that I did not need.
Also have tool to pull the injectors but I did not use it, I just used a prybar under the fuel connection and they popped right out.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

joshferrer

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL (CKRA)
Dealer has recommended a valve cover gasket. unless they change the injector seals it won't be fixed with just the valve cover.

Will this cause issues later on? this seems to be a common problem with the CRKA motor.

The seals on the injectors are o-rings that seal the injector from the cylinder head so oil does not seep down to the injectors.
The rubber seals that seal the injectors from oil getting past to the top of the valve cover are installed in the valve cover as as far as I know VW does not sell them separately and they are not included with the valve civer gasket. They do however come with the Mahle gasket kit # VS50663

f you need a set of the injector seals from the mahle kit, I have a set that I did not need.
Also have tool to pull the injectors but I did not use it, I just used a prybar under the fuel connection and they popped right out.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

These will also work.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...kit-for-2-0-16v-tdi-cr-engines-oval-port.html

I also just use something like a prybar to pop them out and have never had any issues.

-2014 Passat TDI SEL
Malone Stage 2 "Econo" Tune.
Rawtek DPF, EGR, DEF Delete Performance Kit. Straight Pipe. No resonator and no cat.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I had a slight leak in the same area and was able to tighten down on the cam cover bolts ever so slightly. This seems to have done the trick and I'll be changing that gasket when the weather gets a bit warmer.