Difficulty of a turbo swap?

gimpster

TDI
2015 Audi A3 TDI, 2013 VW Passat TDI (retired)
I posted this over in the Audi A3 forum, but I think there's too little traffic over there, so posting here instead.

I'm starting to plan the next phase of my performance upgrades for my 2015 A3 (8V, CRUA engine) and I'm giving serious consideration to the Stage 3 kit from KermaTDI, but I'm trying to get a clear picture of what's involved in the operation before I jump in because this car is my daily driver and I need to be sure that I can complete the work in a weekend (before I need to commute back to work). I've found some videos where people are showing sort of a "highlights" reel of turbo swaps for similar (slightly older) models of this engine, but nothing that goes into detail. I find that it's the details, the little "gotchas", and the non-obvious precautions that tend to derail these kind of projects, so I'm trying to find out as much ahead of time as I can. If anyone can point me to a detailed breakdown of the work involved with a similar engine, then I would really appreciate it.

For context on the difficulty level: I consider myself an intermediate level mechanic. Over the years, I've done some more difficult upgrades for suspension and exhaust, I've pulled an engine from a totaled Civic, and replaced a transmission on an '86 Mercedes 300E. So, I'm not afraid of getting into the guts, what I'm afraid of is not being able to complete it fast enough and with everything done "right". It's my daily driver and I put 1k miles/week on it, so I can't really afford extra downtime, like when I lost 2 weeks searching for a wrench big enough to loosen the center locking nut on the driveshaft for that Mercedes so I could finish removing the old transmission. :)

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
You should talk with kerma. I contemplated the same setup on my cr tdi and they discouraged me from doing it because it wasn’t really worth the hassle.

Basically just to get the dpf out is a pita and then you can start on the turbo swap, which I think you’re talking about their hybrid upgrade (right?). Even with direct swap stuff, I don’t think this is going to be a slam dunk and I’d bet you will hit snags either with the install or the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
I've done a turbo swap on my 15 gsw. Vw says 8hrs R&R it took me every bit of it, in a shop with a lift and proper tools.