Crazy Driver Stories

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Okay...time for a rant....:mad:

So we've had a few dumps of snow in the last week...and then the temperature dropped sharply.

Is it just me or do people drive worse when the weather changes.....whether it's snow, rain, fog, or a heat wave.

One of my big pet peeves has to do with when it snows...and the lines on the road get covered....then it's almost like bumper cars as people don't know where their lane is.
For this reason I usually stick to the sides by the curb so I can judge where I am. But I have to be ever vigilant for the people who practically force me onto the sidewalk.....going around bends in the road is usually the worst as people cut towards the inside.....even if you are right next to them.

I'm willing to cut people some slack when the snow is fresh...but after, when the lanes are mostly clear again it really irritates me when someone can see the lines but still drive into your lane.

Then there's the c*** in a truck who decided to gun it from a stop in front of me...polloshing the ice for the next poor sap who has to stop there...and spraying my car with sand and crap on the road. The ignorant turd WOT'ed on and off fishtailing all the way down the road....ya...super cool. (Thank-you to 3M for Rockguard)

Then it's always fun to have someone flying up your butt at a red light when it's slippery.

Most people leave some extra room between them and the car in front...when driving or stopped. It allows for some extra room to get out of trouble if someone is sliding up behind you.....as well as the fact that if you get re-ended and then slide into the guy in front of you, you are at fault for that second guy's rear-ender.
It's always pleasant to have someone kissing your bumper at a slippery intersection.

And then there are the guys who drive way too slow. Or who stop suddenly like 12 car lengths back from the intersection and then creep up. (There's being cautious...and then there's parking it and taking a bus.)

I was driving with a friend one winter. It was dark out and we're cruising along when he notices that the light, like a block or so ahead, changed to orange. So he slams on the brakes! I was so sure we were going to either loose control or be rear-ended.
I've had this happen in front of me the odd time over the years...people who stop unexpectedly for no rational reason. If I was a tail-gater I would have been in so much trouble. As it is I still have to stop quickly which also increases my risk of being rear-ended.

Okay...I'm done...for now.;)

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I think I saw my first texter yesterday morning, stopping for the green light, I was really confused, thought that there was a pedestrian in front of him (he was in pickup). Nope light turns red, then cycles through, doesn't go on green. Start to go around him before he notices. Hmmmm Jammer is sounding like a great idea, until you realize that they would be trying to figure out what was wrong still not looking up.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
They are going to be passing a new distracted driver law here in Alberta....but I doubt it will make much of a difference.

Seems that every 2nd person is on their cell while driving these days.

Someone also recently told me that insurance companies are now checking phone records of people who are in accidents. If you received a call just before the accident they deem that you were likely at fault...even if you didn't answer it. (because you could have been distracted while trying to answer it)
(However...if you have one of those ear mounted bluetooth deals you are safe.)

I don't answer mine while I'm driving....that's what voice mail is for. But it bothers me that if I get a call just before getting into an accident that it might count against me.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Okay, in my book of distracted driver cases, THIS ONE takes the cake!!!!!

I was on a busy surface street (5-6 lanes wide) in Grand Rapids back on a warm day in October, I watched in my rear view mirror as a sport bike rider (crotch rocket) pulled out onto this busy road after exiting from the freeway.

He accelerates rapidly pulling a wheelie in third gear (no biggey right as that seems to be more the norm these days for these bikes), and then when he settles it down, I notice him slowing down, and then reach back into his waistband (backside) to pull out a cellphone!

He brings the phone out in front of him, looks down and proceeds to text on it with one hand, while steering/driving the bike with the other hand on the bars. Apparently he sends one message, then tucks the phone up into the chinpiece of his helmut, (the phone was lodged between his chin and the helmut temporarily).

He continues along, and speeds up a bit (actually paying attention to traffic), then must have gotten a text back, so again pulls the phone out to respond while looking down (eyes off of the road & one hand driving in lots of noontime traffic on a very busy road) - this texting episode was repeated three or four times while I was ahead of him.

It was all I could do, to not get out at the next light and ask him what he was thinking.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Okay, in my book of distracted driver cases, THIS ONE takes the cake!!!!!

I was on a busy surface street (5-6 lanes wide) in Grand Rapids back on a warm day in October, I watched in my rear view mirror as a sport bike rider (crotch rocket) pulled out onto this busy road after exiting from the freeway.

He accelerates rapidly pulling a wheelie in third gear (no biggey right as that seems to be more the norm these days for these bikes), and then when he settles it down, I notice him slowing down, and then reach back into his waistband (backside) to pull out a cellphone!

He brings the phone out in front of him, looks down and proceeds to text on it with one hand, while steering/driving the bike with the other hand on the bars. Apparently he sends one message, then tucks the phone up into the chinpiece of his helmut, (the phone was lodged between his chin and the helmut temporarily).

He continues along, and speeds up a bit (actually paying attention to traffic), then must have gotten a text back, so again pulls the phone out to respond while looking down (eyes off of the road & one hand driving in lots of noontime traffic on a very busy road) - this texting episode was repeated three or four times while I was ahead of him.

It was all I could do, to not get out at the next light and ask him what he was thinking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmpX4jCpbDI

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
I had two old people road raging on me yesterday.

All I did was go to the left lane to pass them, and then move over into the right lane after I did.

Next thing I know I'm getting high-beamed, and the older gentleman is flicking me off out the window and motioning me to pull over.

I don't road rage back, I just pack a .45 in case someone really wants to get ridiculous.

I'm 27, they were over 60. This was coming home from Thanksgiving dinner. Crazy.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I don't road rage back, I just pack a .45 in case someone really wants to get ridiculous.
Also keep a single bit axe handle accessible in the car. There are times when a gun is not a fine enough tool and you need a melee weapon to do the job properly. A 36" piece of Tennessee Hickory is my backup weapon.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I understand that some of you guys in the bigger cities have extremely long commute times....due to traffic congestion....like 4+ hrs each way.

I seriously don't know how you can stand it. I'd probably snap at least once a day.

Just like those trains in Tokyo where they literally cram people in. I'm not claustrophobic, but I like my personal space. It wouldn't be pretty. Couldn't even fart without the guy behind you feeling your butt cheeks vibrate. ....still.... some cheese, broccoli, and cabbage might help clear up some space.:D (too bad that doesn't work in traffic on the freeway)

Toilet humor...I must be tired.:rolleyes:

robbsclassics

TDI
98 Green Jetta
I have one. I'm driving on a main 2 lane highway. There is a woman at a stop sign on my right on a side road in front of me. Me: driving with the cruise @ 55. Her: Looks at me (I can tell because I was close enough to see her head turn and her face) then pulls directly out in front of me. So I swerve into the oncoming lane, locking up the brakes and am almost into the ditch on the opposite side of the road when I see another car coming directly at me. So the car heading at me slams on the brakes and stops just as I get almost t-boned by her. A large dent was all that happened to my car, I was very lucky. 6" one way and I would have dove into a ditch, 6" the other and I would have had a 90* head on collision.

So the car that was coming directly at me has a family in it and the mother jumps out and starts yelling at the woman that hit me that she is a stupid ***** that could have killed us all. The woman that hit me had her 15 year old daughter with her and said she thought she had time to cross in front of me.... Now.... this is in the middle of the country with no cars on the road other than the 3 cars on the road. I was just in awe of the stupidity of her.

JJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
A couple of weeks ago, the neighbors were backing out of their driveway just as the folks across the street were doing so. CRUNCH! The one guy got out and said he was stopped. He wasn't. Note to self: Remember to look before and during backing maneuvers. :rolleyes:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Tip: Whenever it is practical to do so, back INTO a parking spot!

I have a typical short city driveway, and I back in 99% of the time. The only exceptions are if traffic conditions at the time that I'm pulling in don't allow it, or if I'm going to be working on the car and need it nose-in to the garage.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
I'm bookmarking this thread because I just moved to a part of the state that's full of tourists, so I expect plenty of crazy drivers to happen come summer.

Right now we're full up with snowbirds, mostly from IA, MN, MI, IL, IN, WI and SD. Being generally older, wiser and on permanent vacation, they're all slow but otherwise fairly competent drivers, so no crazy stories, yet. Most of the bad drivers are actually locals. (Plus I'm not gonna rag on them as their spending is keeping my community from going under.)

It's kinda like those people who immediately slam on their brakes when they enter some fog. No thought at all about any traffic behind them.
That's annoying, but around here it's the opposite problem that grinds my gears: when entering a fog bank, most people plow ahead and full speed and don't bother to slow down even when the visibility is measured in feet. If you can't see the front of your own car, you shouldn't be doing 55 miles an hour, no matter what road. Besides cars pulling out, pedestrians and dangerous intersections, deer can be in the road, too.

Having seen first hand what a deer can do to a car at even moderate speeds, I am not anxious to have one hit me.

Lane splitting by motorcycles is legal in California, but mainly in stop-and-go traffic. It is not something anyone should do when the lanes are blocked by cars or trucks traveling at 50-60 mph or greater.
Ah, then my apologies to all the bikers I cursed under my breath while I was in California last. It freaked me out, I thought they were all just being *******s on purpose. Doing something like that around here would get someone shot, or worse.

I've watched that video dozens of times over the years, and I'm still not clear on what purpose the vehicle horns serve.
Then again, I've driven in Chicago dozens of times over the years, and I'm still not clear on what purpose the vehicle horns there serve either.
From my experience, the horn in Chicago is sounded as a courtesy to the driver in front know the light has been green for almost 10 milliseconds. :cool:

To this day I get very agitated when I hear a horn, because it's been ingrained in me that it's the car equivalent to "fore!" on a golf course. It means "watch out, something bad's about to happen."

Instead of egging me on through an intersection, a honked horn makes me stop and asses the situation, because my mind goes straight to thinking someone is in danger or something.

In Mississippi, the horn is misused in an equally annoying fashion, it's the aural equivalent of waving hello to friends and family. I lived in a small town and e'rbody knew e'rbody so it was very common for people to honk and wave hello to friends at intersections, often rolling down the window for a chat before the lights change. It pissed me off to no end.

left.
Next thing that happens is that this CLOWN TRUCK runs the red light. By Clown Truck, I mean one of those trucks that you need a stepladder to get into & HUGE TIRES! Another name for them is: 'Look At Me Trucks'. These are a common sight in Alberta. All the Retardo's have them!
The Acura's hood actually has skid marks on it! The Clown Truck rode right over top of the hood with it's right tires. This upset the Clown Truck at it ROLLED 1 1/2 times!

The Jetta buyer is an Industrial Design Engineer & says he is going to do all he can do to Lobby the Government to BAN TRUCKS LIKE THESE!
Yeah, good luck with that. Those types of trucks seem to be the high school jock's vehicle of choice around here. I can only assume mommy and daddy shell out for it for good grades or not doing meth or something. There's even one girl who has one, with a "silly boys, trucks are for girls" sticker on it. Ugh.

Of course the only thing more dangerous than a truck whose diff is at eye-level is one driven by a teenager. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Not crazy, but extremely frustrating. I'm in a left turn lane, with one car in front of me, waiting to turn left into a strip mall. There are no cars close in the lane we're crossing. Lady goes ahead and crosses the lane and STOPS at the driveway entrance, exactly like a sane person would do to drive up on a 6" curb. I crossed right behind her, but was left parked out in the street while she eeeeeased up over the 2" gutter. Car barreling down fast on me, I had no choice but to blow around her in the driveway entrance. I apologized to her for driving like an idiot, in case I freaked her out (we were headed to the same bank). Man, that drives me crazy when people are turning out of traffic, and take their sweet time getting out of the damned road!

smketrny

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDi, 2015 Passat TDi
I was driving an airport shuttle van a few years ago on the Southern State Parkway heading to Kennedy Airport. All of a sudden this horses a$$ goes from the passing lane 3 lanes over to the exit ramp. As I pass him and give him the "You are a d*ck" look, he is shaving, lather and all. With his drivers side visor down to boot using that mirror.

As for NYC, Chicago, and Florida... If I had a nickel..........

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Seems there are almost no traffic rules in India. Except to honk your horn constantly...which is very annoying.
Indians and Chinese share one major cultural trait. With Middle Class being a virtually unknown concept, and coming to both countries for the first time in history, 99.99% of Indian and Chinese drivers are first generation drivers. They have not grown up with parents who owned or drove cars. Thus, they are all not really clear on the concept of basic Rules of the Road. It is not an ingrained cultural standard. That, and India never adopted the Napoleonic Code into their system of laws, so Indians have no concept of "I am my brother's keeper". Lane markings and Right of Way mean nothing to them. It's their default setting.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Could be worse. These guys are driving in India for the Ice Road Truckers show.

Seems there are almost no traffic rules in India. Except to honk your horn constantly...which is very annoying.
There are many countries where traffic laws do not exist or are not observed.

But in my experience, every country has certain Rules of the Road. If you do not think they exist, then that only means that you do not understand them.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Ah...but that's why I said that it "seems" that they have no laws.;)

During the show there are numerous minor collisions, tons of near misses, and constant rule breaking. It's constant semi-controlled chaos. My point is that, laws or no laws, they drive extremely crazy there as compared to people here.

As for people from other countries being bad drivers....
Personally I'm not a racist. I have lots of friends and colleagues of all different ethnic backgrounds. Having said that, and based on factual observation, the ones that were born here, or came here when they were very young, drive much much better than the ones who came here later in their lives. That's simply an observed fact.

I'm not saying that everyone that comes from out of country is a bad driver, or that everyone who is born here is a good driver. Just that I've observed that many people from out of country do bring bad driving habits with them. Ethnicity has nothing to do with it...it's all about how they learned to drive and their driving habits.

If someone is upset because of a perception that their people are bad drivers, they shouldn't be mad at the people who have that perception. They should be mad at the people who are creating that perception by being bad drivers.

I just wish that it wasn't so easy to get or keep a license. It's not taken seriously enough. Some people simply shouldn't be driving...no matter where they came from, or what age or sex they are. The same basic skills and good sense should be required for anyone who drives. Until they can prove that they have what is required they shouldn't be behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Plus I'm tired of having to avoid them on the streets every day. I have enough to worry about with all the pot holes lately. :)

hroush

TDI
2000 jetta
One day i was driving home on the highway and I saw that a cop had pulled someone over , so I moved to the middle of the three lanes. Out of nowhere their is car traveling perpendicularly to the highway (only other road is parallel on-ramp). She nails me in the front driver quarter panel, sending me into the cement median. She claims a SUV cut her off, she went off the side of the road, and that shot her across. She had 4 kids and a dog in her sebring; I believe she got distracted, saw that she was heading for the fence posts along the road (none of which were damaged) and swerved left. She's lucky I was there or she would have went straight into the cement median. Best thing of all is since the cop was already there, it was all on camera and a fire truck was there within 5 minutes.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Personally I'm not a racist. I have lots of friends and colleagues of all different ethnic backgrounds. Having said that, and based on factual observation, the ones that were born here, or came here when they were very young, drive much much better than the ones who came here later in their lives. That's simply an observed fact.
I don't think calling people from other countries bad drivers is racist at all. It's just an observation. I can only imagine if I moved to the UK, for example, that my skills would take a hit, having to adapt to life on the opposite side of the road.

Having to adapt to our rules of the road can be difficult for an adult from another land, where the rules are different or widely ignored. The older brain has a hard time rewiring itself anyway. It's why the older we get, the harder it can be to learn a new language.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
Ah...but that's why I said that it "seems" that they have no laws.;)

During the show there are numerous minor collisions, tons of near misses, and constant rule breaking. It's constant semi-controlled chaos. My point is that, laws or no laws, they drive extremely crazy there as compared to people here.

I'm not saying that everyone that comes from out of country is a bad driver, or that everyone who is born here is a good driver. Just that I've observed that many people from out of country do bring bad driving habits with them. Ethnicity has nothing to do with it...it's all about how they learned to drive and their driving habits.

If someone is upset because of a perception that their people are bad drivers, they shouldn't be mad at the people who have that perception. They should be mad at the people who are creating that perception by being bad drivers.

I just wish that it wasn't so easy to get or keep a license. It's not taken seriously enough. Some people simply shouldn't be driving...no matter where they came from, or what age or sex they are. The same basic skills and good sense should be required for anyone who drives. Until they can prove that they have what is required they shouldn't be behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Plus I'm tired of having to avoid them on the streets every day. I have enough to worry about with all the pot holes lately. :)
+1 on the making it harder to get the license. The "driving exam" here in States it's a joke.... and bad one at the same time.

I don't think calling people from other countries bad drivers is racist at all. It's just an observation. I can only imagine if I moved to the UK, for example, that my skills would take a hit, having to adapt to life on the opposite side of the road.

Having to adapt to our rules of the road can be difficult for an adult from another land, where the rules are different or widely ignored. The older brain has a hard time rewiring itself anyway. It's why the older we get, the harder it can be to learn a new language.
It really depends which country are you talking about. Drivers from some developing and 3rd world countries may not be that good behind the wheel because it may be their first car and they might not have grown up in a household with a car.
You all miss very important fact... Us drivers are bad as well. only on US highway you will have a 6 car traffic jam on a 3 lane highway... the fault is easy to spot as well: no driving education what so ever. Pass some easy test and do few laps on a parking lot and here you go. if one wants to improve road safety, the whole license procedure has to be changed and be much harder. and i do not give a rat's ass that you "need" a car for whatever reason it might be, if you can't show that you are confident in operating a car you shouldn't be on the road behind the wheel.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I can only imagine if I moved to the UK, for example, that my skills would take a hit, having to adapt to life on the opposite side of the road.
Eh, being from the USA they already think you are a jerk. Just drive like you stole it. Tell people "I'M AN AMERICAN, GET OUT OF MY WAY!!"

FYI - HEAVY SARCASM

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I can only imagine if I moved to the UK, for example, that my skills would take a hit, having to adapt to life on the opposite side of the road.
It is easier than you think. But... it can be a challenge when one returns to the normality of life on the right side of the road.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
It's a lot easier than you'd think. I've put thousands of kms on rental ('hire') cars in NZ and AU, and had absolutely no problems on the road. Almost got killed dozens of times, though, when walking around. Stepping off a curb, I'd look to my left to see if anyone is coming (out of old habit), and SWOOSH! a car would whiz by from my right. Oops.

When driving, having the steering when on the 'wrong' side is a constant reminder to drive on the left. I did catch myself instinctively driving on the right in parking lots for some strange reason, but never on the road. When walking, there's no steering wheel to remind me, so I have to constantly be vigilant to look both ways. Haven't driven in the UK yet, which might be a little more of a challenge, due to tiny roads.

Edit to add: Yeah, driving a stickshift in a roundabout and trying to signal (which turns on the wipers) can be a handfull. I probably had several thousands of kms before I had a whole trip where I didn't turn on the wipers to signal a turn.

Last edited:

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
What about shifting with the left hand...assuming a manual trans? That's got to be odd.

And all those traffic circles....at least in the UK and Scotland. And lets not forget those narrow winding roads they have all over Europe.

I worked with a guy from Poland who said that people drive at highway speeds on those narrow twisty roads.

I drive somewhat aggressively here...but the roads are all pretty much flat, straight, and wide...plus there's tons of visibility. I'm not sure how I'd like driving over in Europe....but then again, it might be fun.:)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've driven a RHD vehicle. Shifting with the left hand was not a problem, but the signal and wiper stalks flipped left to right screwed me up.

As for driving in Europe ... I've ridden a motorcycle there, and it is far more enjoyable than here. Speed limits are mostly reasonable as opposed to being far too low. You are expected to use your signals, and you are expected to get out of passing lanes (where present). You are expected to take as little space on the roadway as possible (as opposed to here, where you are expected to take your full lane). But ... The oncoming car (or bus) knows how much space you need, and will give that amount of space for you to use, and as long as you are using no more than the space you are expected to use, it is not a problem. More roundabouts, more yield signs, fewer stop signs, fewer traffic signals. Seemingly more courtesy and co-operation, too.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Sounds interesting.

I'd like to give that Autobaun a try too. I don't think we have any local tracks here that you can get up to top speed on....but then I don't know what all we have around here. The most I've done is about 160kph....rarely.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds interesting.

I'd like to give that Autobaun a try too. I don't think we have any local tracks here that you can get up to top speed on....but then I don't know what all we have around here. The most I've done is about 160kph....rarely.
I've driven enough rural interstate in the south to not care about that anymore. I would like to try driving on the other side of the road one day, though. But such things are just dreams in this economy. Plus I'd wanna rent a diesel and I dunno if they do that or not. I don't think I've ever seen one. In fact, most rentals at airports seem to be listed as autos nowadays online.

warbird24

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
In my Military career I have had the chance to drive in many different countries. On my extended stays in Germany and England, I owned cars purchased for local consumption and drove those. I got used to the UK driving and their Motorways are very good.

The Autobahn...A whole 'nother matter. Very good drivers that for the most part obey their rules and courtesies on the road. The hammer lane is just that and they respect that. It's not like here when you get some left lane bandit tooling around at 62 MPH in a 65 zone.

The one thing I regret is never taking a nice car to the "Ring" and driving on that. Always seemed like there was something else to do.

I have driven and owned so many vehicles in my life. Everyone of them took some getting used too. Left side, right side, sticks, autos, all had little quirks that you had to learn.