Governor or Limp mode

blackchrome

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Anyone know if my 01 TDI 5 spd has a governor at 145? Or is it just limp mode, which is a good possibliity, considering i'm reving at 3200-3400 rpm at that speed which is where I hit limp mode.
If it is a governor, how do I get rid of it ;)

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
as soon as you let off the accelerator and slow down can you accelerate at the same rate the next time you stomp on it?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
blackchrome said:
Anyone know if my 01 TDI 5 spd has a governor at 145?
Your car must be equipped with the Julian Fantino module...

If the acceleration / power returns after you turn off and on the ignition, then it's most likely limp mode - most likely a stuck turbo actuator...

If not, it's likely your MAFs on its way out...

Get a Vag-Com (VCDS, new name) scan... possibly logging MAFs readings while accelerating...

Yuri

FOG

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 2-Door
blackchrome said:
Anyone know if my 01 TDI 5 spd has a governor at 145? Or is it just limp mode, which is a good possibliity, considering i'm reving at 3200-3400 rpm at that speed which is where I hit limp mode.
If it is a governor, how do I get rid of it ;)
:) Blackchrome, My 02 US ALH car is govered to 113mph/182kph and I think yours is too. I think you turbo is stuck in hi boost and over boosting and then going in to limp mode. Check to see if you can move the rod on the turbo. If not, R&R the turbo and clean the vanes to free them up. If you can't make them free it's rebuilt or new turbo time.
Walt;)

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
i personally think its the MAF - usually when someone complains of a limp mode related problem they symptom is "suddenly i lost ALL power" not a "i cant go any faster" type of symptom described above.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Governor is definitely much higher than that (from what I hear...).

You are in limp mode. Have to start diagnosing stuck vanes, etc. If you can, get together with a member who has vag-com and do some testing of the MAF/turbo.

blackchrome

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I had a feeling it was limp mode, but just seeing if i had a governor or not. I didn't think that it would be governed that low though. And yes I have experienced over boost problems lately, so that does explain it. I guess I'll need to check on the MAF first before pulling my turbo off. Thanks guys! I'll have to go see Brandon.

Harinder

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Dark Green TDI 5 speed
Hi there i have the same problem

Hi there i have the same problem and i cannot figure it out either. When i go to 3000 rpm it ususally goes into limp mode for some reason, then it feels like no power. Can't go anywhere fast. I have to turn the car off then on and then it is back to normal. I do have a over boost issue when i goes into limp mode. Can anyone help too with this issue.

eric_TD

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
Either one of two problems:
If problem persists after shutdown and re-ignition than it's most likely a bad MAF.
If it's remedied by the restart then it's your actuator