Engine Fault Garage "dash fault"

Ashy

TDI
Passat 105ps
Right guys need your help...

Following on from this thread (if you dont want to read it here's a brief summary: Car is a 105ps Passat engine no: BKC 743465 The engine siezed when driving at 20mph. It wouldn't re-start. I found that it was the flywheel that had failed and bits of broken flywheel had jammed between it and the bell housing) i've now re-fitted a new flywheel and clutch assembly and a few other bits and bobs.

The problem now is when i turn on the ignition i get a fault up on the dash saying "Engine fault garage" it also says parking brake fault and steering column lock fault. When I push the key in to turn it over nothing happens, no click no clunk it doesn't even try.

Now one thing I don't know is, when the engine seized, how many times they tried to turn the engine over. So as far as I know the starter may of seized!

Just thought I would ask if there is anything I can do to rectify this? I am going to pull the starter back off tomorrow and bench test it.

Oh forgot to mention I plugged in my OBD reader and it pulled up one fault 0600 - serial comunication fault. I cleared that but it made no difference.

Any help appreciated,

Ashy.

Ashy

TDI
Passat 105ps
Right, I've pulled the starter off and bench tested it. Its jammed up. So i've stripped it down and its clearly overheated and melted the internal plastic casing.

Looks like a new starter is needed. Would this cause the message on the dash?