Malone tune for EA288 engine coming soon!

Southalabama84

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
Should be interesting as DEF is injected in the same unit as the DPF. I believe pre-DPF if I (vaguely) recall the diagram correctly? May be mistaken though.
I agree, it will be interesting to see. If it is possible to elimate the DEF then I would assume the tank could be retrofitted as a secondary diesel tank. :D

TDI BR

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf TDI SE manual
I agree, it will be interesting to see. If it is possible to elimate the DEF then I would assume the tank could be retrofitted as a secondary diesel tank. :D
Haha that would be nice considering it's a 13.5 gallon tank. Would be nice to not have to fill up once a week.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Soooo is there a tune yet?? It's not on the site.
Under the TDI CR 150 link, it's there and a few folks here have been running the tune as well. 177whp/303ft-lbs is what's listed on the site. The only thing that concerns me is the possible DMF shuddering when torque starts getting that high. I believe user TDI BR has the first delete tune and maybe that power output is what is causing their particular shuddering. Not sure if anyone else with just a tune can comment on that issue, but it'd be nice to know.

Also, I'd probably hold off till VW releases a recall and then take the car in to be flashed before getting the tune so that it's at least been cleared and you don't have to do it twice.

TDI BR

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf TDI SE manual
Yea I've got the tune and delete. Had to be slightly nerfed due to flywheel shuddering. Wakes the car up some but now I want more..

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
yes they seem prone to the flywheel shuddering. I had to dial back the tune in our development car because of flywheel shudder.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I have a TDI - DSG 2015 (S) Golf bought new in 2015.

Hi ~~ new to this thread

I have a TDI - DSG 2015 (S) Golf bought new in 2015.

I called my local dealer and ask him about the 2306 (flash?)

He said it was not for my car, then he checked my VIN # and told me I did have a software up date #2309

Can anyone tell me what a #2309 is?

He said it was an ECM up date.

Does ECM stand for EMISSION CONTROL MODULE?

Thank you in advance for any help

TDIinPA

TDI
2015 GSW SEL, 2011 328xi, 1997 M3
Would a Stage 1 or 2 tune "overwrite" the emissions cheat, and thereby make the car cleaner (but reduce the lifespan of emissions equipemtn)? Just a thought

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
how do you think a tune provides better MPG?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The tune will run a leaner (less fuel) air-fuel ratio during low load cruising, thus providing an increase in MPG. The leaner you run the air-fuel ratio, the higher the NOx will be. Keep in mind these cars, while they produce higher than "allowed" NOx, produce far less of other important tailpipe emissions...CO2, hydrocarbons, and particulate matter (my tailpipe is spotless after 30k miles).

Last edited:

TDIinPA

TDI
2015 GSW SEL, 2011 328xi, 1997 M3
^Thanks for the info. But wouldn't the tune make the exhaust treatment/collection system fully active and therefore, cleaner than an OEM tune?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I would think that the NOx/SCR system just can't get NOx emissions down to legal levels no matter what unless it's adding more fuel during emissions testing, hence the "cheat" that's not actually a device rather just a software cheat. I'd be willing to bet that the tune will bump up NOx even farther than stock, in exchange for the increase in mileage.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
the real question would be for your tuner of choice.

the stock car has the combustion point managed as mentioned before (balance of mpg vs soot vs NOX)

and both the DPF and the NOX cat use extra fuel to regenerate (clean).

(except this is the MK7 thread, so there is really the DEF use instead of fuel used for the NOX cat )

you could try to get a tuner to modify programming to further reduce emissions, but it seems to me, based on folks who post here, that that would not be a popular option, if it reduced any power or economy. if it was simple, VW would have done it.