Malone 1.5 vs Malone 2.0 vs Custom Tune

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I'm not a mechanic, however, I do work on my motorcycles and have worked on my car engines in the past. But I'm much more comfortable with carbs and gas engines than I am with fuel injected Turbo Diesels.

That being said, I have a 2014 Sportwagen TDI with a 6 sp standard transmission and would like to add power because I want to be able to tow my small utility trailer with a motorcycle or my ATV. I know that I probably have enough power now to tow on level ground, however, I'll be towing in the Sierra Nevada mountains and possible in a convoy with diesel pick ups, so I'd like enough power to stay with them.

I've been reading up on Malone tunes and also found recommendations for getting a custom tune. Has anyone had both so that they can compare one to the other?

I've had my Triumph (motorcycle) on the dyno a few times to help me find the right jets for the carbs and I understand how a dyno tune helps to find the right air/fuel mixture throughout the RPM range, which I assume that a custom tune would do. But how would that compare to the Malone 1.5 or 2.0 tunes ?

I understand that I'm asking some pretty open ended questions, which would be difficult to answer, but any information that would help me make a decision on which way to go would be greatly appreciated.

Stan

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Stage 1.5 has now been discontinued as it was not too far off from stage 2, so that one is out of the running.

That said, Stage 2 is very well developed and I find that most cars I tune to that level are nearly smoke free with WOT EGT readings fairly close to the 925 C limiter but not reaching it. Basically, this means a Malone Stage 2 tune is very close to as far as you can go without a turbo upgrade.

To choose a Stage 2 "custom" tune would possibly allow just a few more HP (because logs are taken and the tune further optimized). Reason for a custom tune is car to car variability (there is always some). Sometimes just a little more fuel can be tuned in, but sometimes not.

For what you describe I'd recommend a Stage 2 tune.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I got the 1.5 back last year and it is wonderful. I have never towed with mine though and have never been above 4000 feet.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Stage 1.5 has now been discontinued as it was not too far off from stage 2, so that one is out of the running.

That said, Stage 2 is very well developed and I find that most cars I tune to that level are nearly smoke free with WOT EGT readings fairly close to the 925 C limiter but not reaching it. Basically, this means a Malone Stage 2 tune is very close to as far as you can go without a turbo upgrade.

To choose a Stage 2 "custom" tune would possibly allow just a few more HP (because logs are taken and the tune further optimized). Reason for a custom tune is car to car variability (there is always some). Sometimes just a little more fuel can be tuned in, but sometimes not.

For what you describe I'd recommend a Stage 2 tune.
+1

I think less than 5% of people jump for a Stage 2 custom