www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 18th, 2012, 07:04   #1
kiddpitt

Fuel Economy: unknown...too new to us!
Default Thanks for saving us!!

Me & my wife have been looking for a tdi for awhile and thought we found one this weekend. But, after doing some research on here, we decided to pass because of Rothenbaucher parts being used for the new turbo, timing belt, etc. So thanks to everybody that takes the time to post useful information that us noobs can search for and find!

The good news is we found a '01 golf TDI a day later and bought it yesterday. We bought it from the 2nd owner, who bought it about 5 months ago but was forced to sell after putting alot of $$ into it using good parts and a good mechanic. It's higher mileage (278,900), but it runs great and with the timing belt done, new clutch/bearing/etc, new rotors, brakes, tires, & a few other things, we think we got a great deal. The guy we bought it from almost cried when we left.
kiddpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:33   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Congrats and welcome. Shame about the seller's circumstances, but perhaps now you have a good reason to keep the car rolling along...

Many of us have well over that amount of miles, too!
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:51   #3
kiddpitt

Thanks! When I saw that the car had been well cared for & heard it run, I wasn't scared of the mileage at all. We're looking forward to adding to it!
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:01   #4
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Good catch on noticing the "Prothe" parts on the first one.
Except for a starter, heater core and a sliced (by a shop I think) CV boot on a 77 Sirocco, in 5 Dubs, with the highest mileage being about 190K miles, I have never had to replace starters, alternators, radiators CV axles, struts etc. on any of them.

On the 93 Caviler we bought new, the R/H strut was completely shot by 50K miles. By 100K miles, I had replaced every part of the cooling system because of leaks and I had replaced the alternator several times.
With the high miles, at some point you may have to refresh the suspension. Did the PO replace the struts and if not, do you notice any clunks, vibrations or a floaty ride?

My condolences to the PO........................
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; July 18th, 2012 at 10:06.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:59   #5
duwem
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Used to get 45, but big wheels, big brakes and a roof rack, 36mpg now

All around good story. Post a picture of your new purchase.
Panzer FMJ Skid Plate, PP520's on Flow Balanced Injectors, H&R 28mm Rear Swaybar, Eurosport X Brace, TT Shifter, 42DD shifter Bushings, exhaust restriction reduction, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, TT front control arms, spindles and brakes, 17" wheels w/ Potenza Summer Tires
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:03   #6
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Welcome aboard and kudos for your ability to search.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 03:48   #7
kiddpitt

Thanks for the welcome. I haven't had a chance to get any pics yet, but I will. The body isn't perfect and it needs cleaned inside and out, but I'll get it with my buffer and I think it'll look pretty good, minus 1 or 2 dents. It's black though, so they aren't super noticeable.

One other interesting part of the car's story: the original owner (who owned it till about February) was a bee keeper. He put about 22-25,000 miles a year on it transporting his bees & honey. A traveling honey salesman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
With the high miles, at some point you may have to refresh the suspension. Did the PO replace the struts and if not, do you notice any clunks, vibrations or a floaty ride?

My condolences to the PO........................
I added up the receipts for the work he had done in the 5 months he owned it...totaled just under $6400 . I kinda feel bad cause we got it for alot less than that. PA has fairly strict yearly inspections, which it just passed, so it's good until August 2013 & is up to snuff. I have some mechanical ability, so if something the struts comes up I can handle that. But it's just inspected, the major work (timing belt, water pump, cluth, etc) is done and it has all fresh fluids (oil, coolant, brake, cluth/tranny) & it isn't a rust bucket.

I'm done talking for now...nobody cares what I have to say! Less talking and more reading for me!

Last edited by kiddpitt; July 19th, 2012 at 04:01.
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:12   #8
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddpitt View Post
PA has fairly strict yearly inspections, which it just passed, so it's good until August 2013 & is up to snuff. I have some mechanical ability, so if something the struts comes up I can handle that.
These cars are great if you can work on them youself or have local access to someone who knows what they are doing. Otherwise they can be money pits.

You're right on about the PA inspections. I bought a B4V this spring from a guy who said the dealership wanted $3500 for it to pass the PA inspection and he had already put like $1K into it the previous year. It only needed $150 worth of suspension busings and a brake light to pass the Maine inspection.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:16   #9
kiddpitt

I'm in the process of looking for a factory service manual, the one for my cars has been worth every dime.
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:34   #10
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddpitt View Post
I'm in the process of looking for a factory service manual, the one for my cars has been worth every dime.
Get a Bentley manual for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Jet...bentley+manual
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 04:03   #11
kiddpitt

Yeah, the Bentley manual was the one that kept coming up when I looked. Can someone tell me how well it covers the regular maintenance schedule and troubleshooting/diagnostics? For example, how well does it cover inspecting the timing belt and timing belt replacement? Will the book walk me through diagnosing a no start, or low boost?

I know that alot of that information is also on this forum, but I'd like as many good sources of info as possible.
Old July 21st, 2012, 05:31   #12
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Though a bit strange to navigate, the Bentley manual is the basis for most you read here. It has diagnostics info in it but you will probably need to rely on a variety of sources (like here) when it comes to identifying problems. If you plan on working on your TDI, I would call a Bentley manual essential.

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 14:15   #13
Barnitz
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Having a Bentley manual is awesome. It's worth double what they sell them for. So nice to have something to refer too.
2006 Jetta 5-speed, GTB1749V from Darkside, Stage 2 Franko6 Cam, SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch with SMF, Malone Stage 2 custom tune w/Dynamic Idle and EGR Delete, Dieselgeek short shifter, EGR Cooler Deleted with Block-Off Plates, H&R Touring Cup Kit, ECS Dogbone Insert, Raxles
Barnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 15:35   #14
kiddpitt

It looks like there's 2 Bentley's available. A 1 volume soft cover and a 2 volume hard cover. Which is better? The 2 volume has more pages and I'm wondering why....
Old July 23rd, 2012, 16:20   #15
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's

IDK about better but I bought the 2 volume hard cover and it is paying for itself right out of the box.
Way better than the Haynes I have been using all these years.
Worth the 75 bucks for sure.