Extended warranty

loujet

Veteran Member
I had my '00 Jetta TDI for 2 months now, I bought it used at 25000 km (still under warranty). I did not have any problems with the car yet. I was offered an extended warranty sold by the dealer which extend the original warranty for another 3 years/140000km for 915 can$ tx incl. I have until the 40000km mark to buy it. The said warranty cover everything which is not regular wear. (MAF, window regulator, air bags, etc..) I simply don't know if this worth the preaty big bucks, what do you people think?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Loujet,

Given that you probably have about a year to decide, I would drive the car until you get very close to that 40k mark before I decided. Some cars are amazingly well put together and display almost no signs of problems. My brother drives a '00 NB and has had one problem. That's it.

Me, on the other hand. Ack. I went through a ton of issues while my car was in warranty, and since I came out of warranty I've had to replace two DRL's and wiring harnesses, and am now dealing with an illusive squeak in the right rear brake, a sticky driver's window (yep, the regulator), and a MAF that is on it's last legs. Oops, almost forgot, and a cracked whip antenna housing.

Do you think VW will cover any of this? I don't expect they will - so for me, the extended warranty is starting to look cost-effective, and Edmonds offers one to people outside of warranty that you might want to look into. Out of principle I would not give the dealer my business on the one they're offering.

I want to keep my car for a long time, but despite what others will tell you about extended warranties, you may want to consider it, if your car shows signs of nickle-and-diming you to death with small to medium-sized repairs.

Good luck.

~BeetleGo

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: BeetleGo ]</p>

Digs

sounds like one of those things where those who have never had a problem with their car might say "no" and those who have had problems might say "yes". I fall into the latter half. You have a great car, but you just never know and I just witnessed a friend get saved from hundreds and hundreds of dollars of repair work by her warranty, a couple of times. She and now I swear by them.....As far as the one that has been offered to you....it sounds like you have some time....shop around for one that fits your needs, doesn't have to be the one offered to you.....best of luck

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I've heard good things about WarrantyDirect warranties. They seem to have a good track record whenever I see a review or reccomendation. (I hear with these guys you can take it to any shop you please. I haven't heard of many independant shops that give a whole heck of a lot about chipping.)

I don't know if I will get an extended warranty on my next vehicle. The cost outlay is large at the beginning, but peice of mind is worth something too. If something goes wrong, then it's already paid for. If I never use it, I would still feel good that it is there.

Someone considered waiting until the car is closer to the factory warranty expiring.. Keep in mind the longer you wait, the more you pay.

loujet

Veteran Member
I have to add that after speaking to the service guy at the dealer, (which I would strongly recommend to anyone in our neck of the woods) He didn't made any pressure to sell that warranty, he only made me realize it was more of an insurance policy then a warranty... either way he wins whether it's me or the warranty company that pays the bill for any repairs!!

3kidsnadezl

Veteran Member
I have purchased dozens of cars in my life time and there has only been one vehicle is got the extended warrant for (and this was negotiated as part for the purchase). I bought a Dodge Grand Caravan a couple of years ago due to the family enlarging. Dodge had earlier problems with the cylinder head and the automatic transmission. Supposedly, Dodge fixed the head and transmission problems. I went to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and once back the transmission was shot. The extended warrant paid for it. Also the rear heater/air condition malfunctioned and the warrantly paid for that. Lastly the positive battery cable was defective causing the van to shut off in traffic. It was paid for. Sadly though the water pump failed this past week and the warrant expired 3k miles ago and I had to pay for it. The warrantly was easily a good idea in this case. I would say get the warrant if the vehicle has a h/o of failure. In your case the percentage of use would probably be very low.

loujet

Veteran Member
Thanx for the advice! I don't have much time being at 33000 km and going...(by the end of February I should be at 40000 km)

M

mickey

I never buy those things. I don't buy roadhazard warranties on tires, either. This summer I shredded a nearly new BFGoodrich Z-rated high performance tire, and had to buy a new one. The salesman was kind of smug. "Wish you'd bought that warranty?" I answered, "No. This tire is $150. That still leaves me well over $500 ahead of the game by not buying these warranties over the last 20 years." He had no answer for that.

All aftermarket warranties are for-profit ventures. If they didn't think they'd come out ahead on the deal, they wouldn't sell it. (Even if it's offered through your dealer, it's underwritten by a private company.) And I've hear horror stories about trying to get them to pay major claims.

-mickey