MkIV steering rack replacement

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf

They confirmed the rack was not new, and offered me $20 off or I could return it for a refund - it's going back. I don't trust that line to last for any length of time with the road salt they use here in NH and $20 isn't going to come anywhere near the cost to R&R the rack even if it is covered by a lifetime warranty.
Pretty disappointed. The ad showing pictures of what appears to be a new rack and described as such is still live on eBay...

CoreyS

TDI
2004 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
Just thought I'd post a little follow up on this post with my experience.

My steering rack on my 2004 BEW Jetta Wagon was starting to have some issues and I determined it was time to replace it. After reading the reviews on this thread about the Detroit Axle Rack I decided to give it a shot. The Ebay post clearly still says new, and much to my surprise, I actually received a brand new rack. I was certainly expecting rebuilt after the comments on this post and for the price ($162). The procedure listed in the first post was immensely helpful, I think the only missing step was to re-install the two small exhaust hanger bolts at the very end. Pretty obvious when they are the only bolts remaining to reinstall/replace. Hardest part about the entire job for me was getting the front tires off, they were really corroded on well, but thanks to some other posts on this site I was able to break them free. I was pretty nervous about the disclaimer on ebay "Important part details: w/Variable Ratio Steering (Servotronic)" as I was not able to determine what this was and if my car had it or not even with a VIN lookup. However, it seems to not matter much as the rack was a direct replacement and everything fit perfectly.

Will try to remember to post a follow up on how the Detroit Axle rack holds up, but I have no doubts it will be just fine given the other reviews on here of it.

Hope this helps someone out.

Corey

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Ive used several ftom amazon detriot axle? Rebuilt ones 3 going in 2 years no trouble

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Be extra careful threading the lines back in on the driver's side. Really take your time getting those bolts in, the tension/weight from the line makes it wonky.