Extended Vehicle Protection

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
In the not so distant future when I go to purchase this TDI; I was just wondering if this third party extended warranty would be worth it and what you went with if it is a better option.

All these things are included although they aren't checked lol.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Well any car can have major expensive repairs.

The profit to the salesman and company is usually over 50%. So for every $1,000 you spend the insurance company has less than $500 to pay for repairs or they will lose money, something insurance companies do not do. Some people will get nothing back and some will get a lot more than they pay. Most will get far less. In addition you need to keep in mind that the insurer has worded it to eliminate as many expensive things as they can.

Remember that the seller is out to make money and they get to write the rules and set the price. They are not going to sell them at a loss so one way or another they are going to have you pay more than they will pay out.

Would you gamble with a car dealer who gets to set all the rules and knows all the odds?

Your decision has to do with the value of the piece of mind it gives you. If that is worth the cost then buy it. Don't expect it to cover everything however, most are written to keep cost down and exempt what they know will cost them money.

Good Luck

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
You can check with your car insurance provider as well. For example, I'm insured through Geico. Geico offers MBI or Mechanical Breakdown Insurance which covers just about the entire car. There is a $250.00 deductible. The good news is, it only costs me about 70 dollars a year and the coverage is good for up to 7 years or 100,000 miles.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
In my opinion, there is only one good reason for buying an "extended warranty". That reason would be - if you believe that your dealership did not make enough profit already, when you bought your car.

Remember, that this is an insurance policy and that insurance companies are in the business of making money (not taking care of policy holders). A few people will have a car bad enough that the policy will be worth the money. However, a vast majority of policy holders will not have enough problems to make the "extended warranty" worth the cost. This is how the company makes it's profit. It really boils down to whether or not you want to bet against your car.

Have Fun!

Don

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i don't see anything for emissions stuff, lot of $$ things can be put under emissions stuff

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
It depends on how mechanicly inclined you are and how much potential work you are willing to do yourself as things come up, and what exactly the plan will and wont cover. If you have the ability and dont mind tearing in to your car, then ext warranties generally arent worth it. Dont forget how high labor is and how much parts get marked up when you have someone else do the work. Jobs that a shop would charge hundreds in not into the thousands for usually cost you no where near the same when you can source your own parts and put some time in doing it yourself. If you are more of a hands off person, then yes, could very well be worth it on makes like these where it often takes more then just dumping in gas and oil and a lot of neglect to stay running well for years like some others. Pay attention to what is covered tho with those plans. If they dont cover known potential hazards, like the HPFP in these cars for example, then the value of having it is much less. USAA is generally very good with stuff like this however and dont fight tooth and nail to avoid paying out things they should like some others. I'm not afraid of tearing into anything on a car, so ext warranties are not for me, but if I ever was to get one, I think USAA would probably be my 1st choice as long as price is remotely competitve, just for the piece of mind they would actually follow through when it needed to be used vs finding loopholes or whatever they can to try and prevent covering your problem.