1981 rabbit truck with a BRM tdi

cam.tdi

TDI
03 jetta
I a 2006 jetta that was in an accident and can not be fixed. It has a BRM tdi engine with a 5spd. I have a 1981 rabbit pick up that I am going to put it in.

I have dont a fair amount of reading about this. I understand that im going to need to make a tranny mount and a front and rear mount. the right side engine mount how ever im not sure of. I know on a lot of other vw engine blocks there are pre drilled holes and mk1 engine mounts will bolt on. Is this the case with this block? id go look my self but I dont have the vehicle yet, I receive it in two days.

Also wiring diagrams would be a huge help if any one has access to them or has a good link to some. I am getting my computer flashed to delete the immobilizer and I am going to be splicing it to a later style mk2 dash.

thanks in advance for the help. I will be posting pics up as I go

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I don't think you will need a front motor mount. The MK1 did not have a mount in the front (radiator area) nor does the ALH, not sure about the BRM.

The MK1 engine mount (engine) is part of the bracket that the IP is bolted to. To keep that mount design, so it will mate with the receptle on the Rabbit Truck body/frame, you will have to get one those brackets and do some modification/frabrication.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
MK1 does have a front mount that is shared by the engine and tranny and bolts to the lower core support..... I'd go with the factory BRM style mounts and modify your frame rails and subframe accordingly

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Front mount

MK1 does have a front mount that is shared by the engine and tranny and bolts to the lower core support..... I'd go with the factory BRM style mounts and modify your frame rails and subframe accordingly

Jimmy, you are so right! On the way to Muncie, Indiana today (to pickup 2.7 KIA Optima Engine), I was thinking about my 82 VW Rabbit Pickup! Just wondering what would be good to stick in it. Its a gasser! Then, it dawned on me that I had posted erroneously last night about the mounts! Yep, it's a round rubber mount!:rolleyes: Missed that one! Gees, I've taken out and put back more of those 1.5 and 1.6 diesels than I can count.......losing it!:eek:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Jimmy, you are so right! On the way to Muncie, Indiana today (to pickup 2.7 KIA Optima Engine), I was thinking about my 82 VW Rabbit Pickup! Just wondering what would be good to stick in it. Its a gasser! Then, it dawned on me that I had posted erroneously last night about the mounts! Yep, it's a round rubber mount!:rolleyes: Missed that one! Gees, I've taken out and put back more of those 1.5 and 1.6 diesels than I can count.......losing it!:eek:
I knew you would catch up!! ...yah..you've done way more of the MKI's than me:D

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I must have a brain *art the other night!

Yeah, I remember several years agon cutting out the front cross member on an 84 Rabbit from Chicagoland............rust big time! We welded in a used cross member from a junker and replaced the mount!

The front mounts on the Dashers with in-line engines was notoriously bad to hammer and fall out in pieces!........Quantums too!

cam.tdi

TDI
03 jetta
bump up again, the engine is getting ready to go in, using the factory front mount and fabbing up the other 3, I need help with wiring diagrams please!!!