What is the status of 2nd Generation biofuel?

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
I'd like to get a sense from the membership where "we" are at in terms of 2nd generation biofuel at retail locations.

Anyone using it?

I've run b20 for the last 4.5 years but have giving it up over the last six months.

I CAN drive out of the way to find quality bio, carry my jugs along, and I can splash mix-it (even though there are some disadvantages to this), or I might be able to find a b3-5 pump.

But I've grown tired of this. I was hoping by now that biofuel would be more widespread and available.

The bottom line is I guess, there are more convenient filling stations (without bio) and my car *seems* to run better on their fuel.

IMO, first generation bio is a dying industry (I certainly wouldn't invest in it), and the often unsustainable agricultural practices that yield the stock for these fuels, doesn't make it anymore attractive.

Also with the tighter tolerances of the newest diesels it seems like 1st gen. bio producers don't have many future customers.

I thought I'd get started on this bio thing on my own until the industry caught up but now the future seems to be in 2nd generation fuels.

How long till these new fuels find their way into the market place? Who out there is using the next generation of biofuel?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The next generation needs to have advantages over the present in order to become more prevalent. If you had bio delivered to your door and a uniformed pump jockey would top off your tank every night when you returned and check the oil too, you wouldn't have posted, would you? You'd gladly change your "sour grapes" opinion were biodiesel that convenient.

How much demand is there for passenger auto petrodiesel?
How much for 1st gen biodiesel?
And what tiny fraction of that miniscule amount would you guess is the 'demand' for 2nd gen?
And at what price point? Would you pay a premium over petrodiesel pump price for 2nd gen?
You'd be better served by moving to a neighborhood with a 2nd gen production plant than expecting one to be built next door so that you have convenient access, because I suspect that if it were a 10 minute drive that would not be considered 'convenient'.
But then there's that per gallon cost issue.:rolleyes:

You don't really have problems with agribusiness, or that would have been your first commentary.
I don't have problems with agribusiness either, nor with 'starving the world so that I can drive'. I use biodiesel from what would otherwise be restaurant garbage.
So, Thank you for choosing to not use biodiesel. The supply for me is that much better off with less demand.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
First Passenger Flight Powered by Biofuel--But Are the Petroleum Alternatives Ready to Takeoff?

Dutch airline KLM has completed a fifth jet biofuel test flight—and the first with passengers other than flight crew. Using a 50–50 blend of regular jet fuel and biofuel refined from camelina oil in one of its four engines, the flight carried 42 "observers" for an hour on November 23 from Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport, enough to fill business class, according to chemist Jennifer Holmgren, who was on board.

"The civil aviation authority in the Netherlands said we've seen enough of this fuel that I'm comfortable putting people on it," says Holmgren, who works for refiner UOP, a division of Honeywell International. "We went from people saying we couldn't do this three years ago, to making a drop-in sustainable aviation fuel today."

The test flights are part of an aviation industry plan to derive 1 percent of jet fuel from petroleum alternatives by 2015, or roughly 600 million gallons a year. Already, biofuel producers are gearing up production. Camelina grower Sustainable Oils—which provided the camelina oil to make the 1,000 gallons of jet fuel needed for the KLM flight—plans to cover more than 20,000 hectares in Montana with the weedy relative of canola, enough to deliver some 9.5 million liters of raw oil. And algae grower Solazyme recently won a contract to supply more than 75,500 liters of fuel derived from algae oil to the U.S. Navy, which would be a first for the industry.

Testing and certification procedures under American Society for Testing and Materials International (ASTM) are underway, as well, with the jet biofuel to be included under the specification for synthetic paraffinic (waxy) kerosenes approved earlier this year for alternative fuels derived from coal. "It's been in practice for 15 years in South Africa, this is not new," notes Darrin Morgan, director of sustainable biofuels strategy at Boeing. "We expect that whole process [of certification] to be done sometime in 2010."

That does not mean airlines will be flying on half and half blends of bio-based and conventional jet fuel as soon as next year, however, largely because there will not be much of the mixture available, even if it is certified by ASTM and, ultimately, the Federal Aviation Administration. Large-scale refining of such bio-based oil has yet to result in any dedicated facilities. Instead, batches for such test flights or military contracts are processed over months individually by UOP at a Houston facility.

"We've made 40,000 gallons," Holmgren says, and notes that existing refineries can be modified to make the fuel. "We're modifying the facility further to improve the throughput." That's because the core of making jet biofuel is much the same as the core of making conventional fuel: hydroprocessing, or the adding of hydrogen to existing hydrocarbons in order to remove oxygen and other impurities as well as build the right molecule. All the bio-version lacks are the aromatics—specific volatile hydrocarbon rings that are necessary to swell shut seals within current aircraft engines, hence the need to blend it with conventional fuel.

But for biofuels to really take flight—or at least achieve the global aviation fuel use goal of at least 1 percent—a minimum of five facilities capable of churning out 100 million gallons or more would have to be built.

"Building a plant is a couple of years out," Holmgren says. "Three to five years is a reasonable time frame."

There is also ongoing controversy surrounding some of the plants used to make the jet biofuel, which include not only camelina and algae but also Jatropha, among others. Jatropha, for example, largely grown in East Africa and India to date, has proved to require more water than initially anticipated, a problem in areas where fresh water is a scarce resource. But Boeing's Morgan argues that Jatropha can make sense where fresh water is ubiquitous and a problem for soil erosion, such as Madagascar and Haiti. "If Jatropha is consuming a lot of water, that's exactly what you want it to do because that prevents further soil erosion," he says, noting that a "best practices" lifecycle analysis for Jatropha will be available from Yale University in 2010, along with a study of halophytes—plants that can tolerate salt, which have not been used to make biofuel to date. "It's fact finding for what are the best ways to do these things."

A similar study by Michigan Technological University sponsored by UOP found that jet biofuel from camelina could reduce emissions of greenhouse gases by as much as 84 percent and be grown in rotation with wheat crops. Of course, fuels from such sources also cost more than conventional jet fuel. "It's safe to say 50 cents to a dollar per gallon for the processing step, including transportation," Morgan says. "That's not in the future, that's now. It's just a matter of getting those plants going."

He adds: "As soon as it's certified, I wouldn't be surprised if people and airlines want to fly on it."

The first group to explore producing jet biofuel from such a facility was also announced by KLM after the flight last week—SkyEnergy will be a joint venture for the Dutch airline with North Sea Petroleum and Spring Associates. "This is a path to commercialization," Holmgren says, "which is what all these test flights have been about."

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Lug Nut a special thanks to you for helping me to feel welcome to post questions on this forum.

I thought I'd put my question into context by providing background on my use of biodiesel. Guess I should have thought better:)

I guess I'm in my place. I'll go back to lurking now.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
:) Looks like I may be burning Synthetic Jet fuel in the very near future! :)

Airlines Eye Major Biofuel Buys

Fifteen airlines from the U.S., Canada, Germany and Mexico have signed non-binding memoranda of understanding to buy alternative aviation fuel from two U.S.-based producers, the Air Transport Association of America (ATA) said this week.

Air Canada, American, Atlas Air, Delta, FedEx Express, JetBlue Airways, Lufthansa, Mexicana, Polar Air Cargo, United, UPS and US Airways signed MOUs with both producers – Los Angeles-based synthetic fuels and fertilizer company Rentech Inc. and AltAir Fuels, based in Seattle, Wash. Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines signed pacts with AltAir Fuels while AirTran signed an MOU with Rentech.
The move shows the proactive steps airlines are taking “to stimulate competition in the aviation fuel supply chain, contribute to the creation of green jobs, and promote energy security through economically viable alternatives that also demonstrate environmental benefits,” said Glenn Tilton, ATA board chairman and United chairman, president and CEO.
Tom Todaro, AltAir Fuels founder and CEO said, “The airlines’ pledge to use renewable jet fuel sends a clear and unmistakable message to policymakers, investors and industry leaders that AltAir Fuels has entered a new era of more sustainable aviation.”
D. Hunt Ramsbottom, Rentech president and CEO, said, “This agreement is a significant step forward, establishing a framework for a large group of diverse carriers to negotiate a definitive fuel purchase agreement.”
The AltAir Fuels project envisions the production of approximately 750 million gallons per year of jet fuel and diesel fuel derived from camelina oils or comparable feedstock, refined at a new AltAir Fuels plant to be located at the Tesoro refinery in Anacortes, Wash.
The Rentech project in Adams County, Miss., contemplates the production of approximately 250 million gallons per year of synthetic jet fuel derived principally from coal or petroleum coke, with the resultant carbon dioxide sequestered and the carbon footprint potentially further reduced by integrating biomass as a feedstock.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Jay- Don't be put off. The fact is the economics do not support large scale biofuels...at this point in time. It will remain a niche market until the economics change. We will see what the future holds, and it will likely be..interesting!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
In the meantime, use biodiesel whenever you can. With low blends there are no issues with going back and forth. Higher blends (>B20) have some issues associated with it. I personally have not had or seen them, but some will point this out.

In Massachusetts ALL diesel will have a 3% biodiesel blend beginning next year. Yep. 2010. Everywhere you buy diesel (transportation/heat) will have this blend. It goes up to 5% in 2015.

Until we use up all the left over grease from our fryolators, and all the extra oil from soy production; soy production is and always will be a huge production machine, we are not doing enough. The oil part MUST be removed to access the high quality vegetable protein which is soy. Don't get me started with all the free land we currently MOW between the interstate highways~! What an unused resource!

What can you do personally? Whatever you can. Just realize that the bulk of biodiesel is used in TRUCKS not cars, for which there are many, many, many. And in the northeast there's the heating fuel market. Oh, and marine. Air will come later as it is a conservative market, as it should be.

Biodiesel is a good fuel with numerous properties, not least being that when we reduced the sulphur content of our fuel (a great idea) we took out the lube. Biodiesel does a terrific job of doing this, even at... 3%~! Until we all run on even that much, we still have a long way to go. And we ARE going there. It doesn't look it, but look at the numbers. They are up, despite the number of producers going down.

Last edited: