Hesitation/stutter while driving

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Having an odd issue that I’m looking to try and track down.

First: there are no check engine lights

While driving when first started during the day, OCCASIONALLY I will have stuttering like a cylinder is missing (I compare it to having a coil pack failure on my golf r). Doesn’t happen again while driving

Occasionally at speed(50-60) get what feels like surging/stuttering while driving.

Vehicle is completely stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If this is the 02 in your signature and it is not a 5spd it will have the infamous 01m auto slushbox. Perhaps the worst transmission vw ever made. DSG didn’t come along till 06, or so.

How many miles? When was the fuel filter changed last? Does the transmission hesitate going into any gear? Like reverse or first?

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
This is a mk6 sportwagen. Thus why posting in this area.

Has 50k miles and had a flush at 40k miles. No hesitation

the_janitor

TDI
2011 Golf Highline DSG
Mine does this too but not very often. Had my 2011 since new and it has happened less than half a dozen times. Could never figure out the cause.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I have a lull occasionally on mild throttle tip in, and am thinking it is related to the glowplug issue I have that just popped up.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
hill cresting fuel cutout

hill crest shudder

hiccup

The hesitation/stutter is a well-documented phenomenon on these cars. It's most noticeable with light acceleration, especially if cresting a hill. In 3rd gear it's most noticeable for me and it happens everyday at the same place on my drive. My understanding is that it's caused by defueling, an ECU managed occurrence that saves fuel.

Bottom line, it's normal operation. No worries!

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Do you have a tune^^^
No, I don't have a tune. The CP3 HPFP is my only significant change compared to stock. I was past the original 120K mile extended warranty for the HPFP before dieselgate and wanted to keep the car, so I got the pump.

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
updates?

Do you have any updates on the stuttering? Have you inspected your cam for typical wear?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
"well documented" or not, you don't have to live with this shudder at moderate throttle.

A good tune *will* fix it right up. If you have a tune and it doesn't fix the shudder, then ask for a better tune.

(and no deletes necessary)

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Could the studder be the regen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say yes, it could be that too. My car is all kinds of jerky during a regen. Even the short ones for the Nox regen add a jerk or two in terms of the smoothness of the power delivery. It also includes surging sometimes, which is in the OPs first comment. There are a number of normal reasons for everything the OP described.

With a gauge to monitor EGT, you can know for sure if a regen is causing the issues.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I'm about 2500km into a new to us CPO 2014 Golf Wagon 6MT; we got it with 61,430km.

This week I am noticing a very similar thing at the end of the day when I start the car to go home. Only lasts for a block or so but last night I noticed it start to stumble/surge as I set the CC. It was enough of an oddity that I turned the CC off. Seemed to smooth out with my foot on the pedal, I kept on my way and resumed the set speed.

Haven't noticed at all in the mornings on the way to work where it's somewhat colder than days end.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Surging and other odd behavior can also be common not too long after start-up. The car does its best to get everything up to operating temperature by adding fuel to heat the exhaust and emissions equipment more quickly.

I think almost all of these complaints/comments about odd running behavior are simply not related to anything being wrong with the car. It's normal for these cars to stutter and surge. If you want to know for sure, get a gauge that monitors EGT! For me, an EGT gauge is essential equipment for these cars. I have the P3Cars gauge. It's great!

2012jsw

TDI
2012 jsw, 2010 jsw
I had that issue arise with a stage 2 tune, which I think was pushing its way around the issue and was muscling along. It started off ever so often and then increased to the point (over a few months) where I could intentionally make it happen whenever I wanted. It even turned my cruise control off one time when it started. Went to my stock file and the car immediately went into limp mode with a flashing glowplug light. Dealer replaced the engine harness about 40k miles ago and I haven’t had a single surge or issue since! Just food for thought and something else to look at

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I've had a few CR cars in the shop with intermittent stutter issues. I recommend logging your in cylinder pressures. In both cars that log highlighted a glow plug (pressure transducer) that was on its way out.