Phase 1 (fixed) "New" 2015 Mileage thread

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just filled my GSW manual for the second time, 45.8 this tank. First tank was 40.7 but I'm not sure it was a complete fill, as the dealer filled it and I topped it off before I had a correct size fuel nozzle at my house. On the 45.8 tank the display said 48.3. Reads a bit high, I'd say. I don't particularly drive for economy, usually run at 75-80 on the highway, although for the last 100 miles on this tank was at 65-70, as I was leading a weak '01 Golf home that a co-worker purchased.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Great number for doing 75-80!

I had my first sub-52 mpg tank last week when I road-tripped to Montreal for the F1 race. I wasn't very impressed with the numbers I was seeing on the Speedway brand diesel I filled with near Albany NY and then when I hit all the Montreal traffic, did short trips in the city for three days, and finally sat in a long backup to get back across the border checkpoint at I-87 I was doomed to low 50s. Boo. Glad to be back to my regular flat, rural commute now. Goal is to get the lifetime average over 55 mpg before cold weather comes this fall.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
I am also in NM, the car is about to hit 3000 miles. On all tanks so far each calculation says 46 or so MPG, but the hand calculations for each tank are between 38 and 40 MPG. On a recent 1019 Mi road trip each way, I had a full car of stuff, luggage, and three other passengers. Plus it was very windy and that may have played a part.
Speed was varying as I'm still breaking it in, between 75 and 85 Mph, average was probably 80 overall. I filled up twice going to Texas and twice coming home. And the AC was on the whole time.

On another note: the car performed a regen every 250-300 miles. I thought that on a pure highway drive regens would occur less frequently, like every 500+ miles.

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
Just about done with the first tank on the '15 Jetta S 6M that I leased primarily to store for a rainy day or year post diesel availability. Low fuel light just came on, with 765 miles driven and 60 miles to empty showing. Will probably refuel at 800 miles versus pushing it to get to 850.. Will edit post with actual mpg soon

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Just about done with the first tank on the '15 Jetta S 6M that I leased primarily to store for a rainy day or year post diesel availability. Low fuel light just came on, with 765 miles driven and 60 miles to empty showing. Will probably refuel at 800 miles versus pushing it to get to 850.. Will edit post with actual mpg soon
WOW:eek:

Tank capacity in US Gallons?

Thx

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
On another note: the car performed a regen every 250-300 miles. I thought that on a pure highway drive regens would occur less frequently, like every 500+ miles.
When doing my daily commute I get a regen about every 150 miles. If on a road trip it's more like 200-350 miles between regens. No hard and fast rule here other then when the soot level reaches a certain point for a regen to be triggered - depends on the driving being done (city, highway, commute).

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine regens every 250 mi and lasts ten minutes almost like clockwork (monitoring with Scangauge II). My driving is almost 100% highway. I cringe as I watch my mileage plummet for those ten minutes. Can't wait to do the DPF delete in 162k miles - lol.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you're deleting emissions hardware why are you waiting? For warranty replacement on parts you don't want in the car?

Scongiundi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (6spd manual), 2015 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual)
Very curious to know what your range ended up being and what your calculated fuel economy was!

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
50.1 Hand Calculated from San Diego to Albuquerque 882 miles temps where in the 100 to 115 so AC was on, Speed Limit in these states is 75 but traffic flows at 80 to 85 and mountains high altitude 5K ft. Lie on meter said 51.4. Now over a week now in New Mexico going as high to Red River NM which is about 9K and Sandia Crest at 10,760 and the various Albuquerque and Santa Fe urban traffic and I am getting 46.2 combined. The car has yet to go over 2K miles. We have a hot spell in the state and AC is always on and usually 3+ persons in the car with some camping gear and a cooler. I really expected this thing to be below 40 mpg.
Wow. That's impressive and encouraging.

NomadMac

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen S
We picked up our "new" 2015 GSW S DSG with 60 miles on the clock on May 15th in Albuquerque. We averaged 45.6 on our trip back to the Bay Area with our best tankful, 50.0 mpg between Indian Springs, Nevada and Truckee. Not bad for a fresh engine at altitude.

We're only getting 31 in our suburban driving and it'll probably drop a little more as I swapped out out the 16" rims with Ecopias on the new car for the 17s with the stickier Michelins from our 2010 JSW.

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Found a new 2015 Jetta SEL 6M Wed, and picked it up yesterday with <50 miles on it. Topped it off to clear fuel in the fill neck.
Result: 52.27mpg: 559.3 miles, 10.7 gallons used. average speed of 65mph, limited AC. MFD indicated 59mpg average
Same car, second tank: 15.69 (!) gallons to clear fuel in filler neck. 553 miles driven, for a calculated mpg of only 35.24. MFA indicated 39.7mpg.

This is 6mpg less than my 6sp MKIV's worst tank. 2/3rds city driving in NV with 115 degree outside temps and climatronic AC on half fan speed most of the time. The 1/3 highway driving was at 70mph with AC.

I put 15.84gal total into a '14.5gal tank'. Low fuel light came on at 1/8 indicated and 25 miles MFA distance to empty. MFA and gauge both hit zero 20 miles later. I drove it another 10 miles order to fill up 15.69gal at the exact same Sam's club pump as last time. Drove it once around the parking lot (no AC) then shopped to let it settle more. It then took .14gal more. So my usable capacity is at least 15.79gal for my 2015 jetta tdi sel.

Since I only drove it 30 miles after it hit 1/8 and the 1.9 gal 'reserve' fuel light, I may have still had a gallon more.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
My GSW S DSG is at 6800 miles, and Fuelly tells me my lifetime average is 43.1mpg.

my MFA tank mileage seems to be reading around 9% high, but that is with only 3 data points since I began tracking. I will get a few more data points before I go into VCDS and change anything. (Does anyone have a link to those directions handy?? )

Largest topped off tank I have filed so far is 12.29 gallons. It's going to take some time to get used to this smaller tank.. barely gets to 500 miles before the low fuel warning..

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've tried to set my expectation that if I get 500 miles per tank in the GSW I'm doing well. I'm only on my third tank of fuel but so far the MFA on mine is about 10% high as well.

My BMW's MFA is about 10% low. I think I'd be better off without them.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not only is the lie-o-meter extremely optimistic, but it varies wildly in its inaccuracy. I keep meaning to set up my ScanGaugeII for correct mpg readings but always forget when I'm filling.

I filled yesterday and the MFA/D/I (whatever it's called) stated 60.0 mpg since refueling and I ended up at 55.75 actual calculated by Fuelly (+7.6%).

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Very curious to know what your range ended up being and what your calculated fuel economy was!
Finally took it for its first fill-up. The Jetta 6M took 15.05gal to clear fuel in neck 800.2 miles (had still showed 1 bar on gauge, 10 miles to empty). Calculated 53.2mpg. MFA read 55.1mpg. I'd estimate there was still a gallon or more remaining, and that 850 miles could be possible, based on my other '15 Jetta having taken 15.79gal last week.

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
So far here are my numbers, cal first computer 2nd. Jetta SE w DSG (around town with some short hiway times)

38.2:43.3 41.1:39.7 44.4:46.3 (2 hour trip at 70MPH on hiway)

My 2 hour trip saw (on the computer) 54.4mpg, same trip with my 2010 DSG I would get 50mpg but had to try to behave myself, so hiway appears to be a little better.

Scongiundi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (6spd manual), 2015 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual)
Finally took it for its first fill-up. The Jetta 6M took 15.05gal to clear fuel in neck 800.2 miles (had still showed 1 bar on gauge, 10 miles to empty). Calculated 53.2mpg. MFA read 55.1mpg. I'd estimate there was still a gallon or more remaining, and that 850 miles could be possible, based on my other '15 Jetta having taken 15.79gal last week.
Wow, that's impressive! I just filled up for the first time on my 15 Jetta 6MT and logged 725 miles (50.2mpg), and that was from the tank filled up by the dealer... next tank should be even better.

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
2015 Passat Comfort with Phase 1 fix Total Kms 3600. Have had two full full ups since new, first one showed 5.3 L/100 second was 5.5 L/100. Fill up the 3rd but still had 1/3 tank left, got 5.1. MAF has been off by .2-.5 I'm going to wait for another few fill ups till I adjust the MAF.

We finally got the chance for a nice road trip 650kms round trip to stretch its legs, two adults two kids full trunk with A/C on, got a 4.3 on the way back had same load plus one more adult but no A/C 4.5 so not to bad. MAF had trip avg at 4.4 (53.5mpg) but my guess is it's off by a couple so 4.6-4.8 (51.3-49). This was Southern Ontario QEW to 401 up to Trenton area some flat but a fair amount of hills (not Rocky Mountain by any means)

All in all really happy with it, smooth ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Airbus, what's the drive from Montreal to Toronto like? I'm doing that in two weeks. Looks really boring on a map.

Any tricks for avoiding tolls?

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
No tricks, stay on the 401, only toll is 412/407. Flat drive Montreal into Ontario gets a little more picturesque further toward Gananoque. Mileage will be great right away suffer in the middle then get better again Port Hope to Toronto.

Have fun, safe drive

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No tricks, stay on the 401, only toll is 412/407. Flat drive Montreal into Ontario gets a little more picturesque further toward Gananoque. Mileage will be great right away suffer in the middle then get better again Port Hope to Toronto.

Have fun, safe drive

Perfect, thanks!

BlauWagenTDI

TDI
2011 Golf 6M 2Dr TDI, Killed by a texting driver, 2013 Beetle TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI SEL,
New to me 2015 Golf TDI SEL with DSG, and phase one complete. MFD shows 50.7 mpg with 57 mile commute each way. Commute is 70% highway. Math says about 47 mpg. It's better than I saw on my 2011 Golf TDI 6mt, or my 2013 Beetle TDI 6mt. No complaints so far. The Golf is definitely a better commuter than the Beetle though.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I have a DSG auto transmission. I have noticed it idles at 1000 rpm. If i let my foot off the brake at a stop, the car will move forward. Is this normal? I am thinking I will burn out the clutch like this.
NOTE: This GSW was MODIFIED before I bought it, with about 10 miles on the odometer. Not everyone is stating if they they are reporting mileage with or without modification on this thread.

DSG tuning and behavior seems to be VERY different on my 2015 GSW, compared to my (sold) 2010 JSW.

1st, the 2010 JSW clutches fully engaged with foot on brake, shifter in drive position, NO LOAD at all on the engine, and the engine idled at ~800-850-
The 2015 GSW idles at 1000 with foot on the brake and it is pulling constantly.

2nd, When you lift your foot off the brake, shifter still in drive position intending to leave a stoplight that just turned green:
JSW would begin disengaging the DSG clutch in about 1/3 second, lurching forward, required learning when to lift foot off the brake when merging into heavy traffic (there was a distinct delayed start).
BUT, 2015 GSW is pulling the second you lift your foot off the brake (even before!!).

Verdict, these two differences mean lower fuel economy in city and DSG clutches are getting worn faster in the 2015 GSW. Agreed?

3rd, 2010 JSW shifted earlier than the 2015 under light acceleration (1400-1600rpm). Way earlier. My 2015 GSW shifts at, or near 2000, even pauses at just under 2000 rpm indefinitely if you are not accelerating, and even balks at upshift request with the paddle shifters. I am always pulling the upshift paddle, trying to get it to drop rpm under light acceleration.

Again, this must translate to more fuel consumption on the modified 2015. I do not know how it was tuned BEFORE modification.

I only have 1500 miles on the GSW right now. I could NOT find a three pedal GSW around here in a tri-state search, but I waited too long to go for it. My mistake.

MILEAGE so far ??? So I got 35.5 and 36 mpg on two fills after picking it up, hand calculated.

Still I like the GSW with the dumb DSG. It is a very comfortable drive. I just hope the fuel economy improves.:(

Jetta Sedan has a bigger fuel tank than the Wagen
I will convert my 2015 GSW to DEF delete and Jetta fuel tank if possible (has anyone looked into this??).
Also will get a tune to improve fuel economy. Very disappointed in the FE.

I notice that the 2015 doesn't hold speed as well as the 2010 or 2014 JSWs I had before. FE readout drops more easily for holding speed. I am sure this is just the fixed tune doing this- injecting diesel later in the cycle to reduce NOx

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
36 mpg? Ouch! Obviously opposite driving conditions from mine.

I'd love to see what mine would do with tune and dpf delete, but I just can't get any reasonable assurance the tune would pass Delaware's obd2 readiness check when they plug in. They don't check the hardware here. Software is my only concern.