www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old February 11th, 2019, 08:45   #16
petee_c
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6ish L /100km golf.... just under 10L/100km q7

Phat dub, nice ride.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 13:20   #17
740GLE
Veteran Member

odd I thought all canadian TDIs came with coolant heaters.

Also check out removing clutch delay valve, I've heard it makes a huge improvement as well.
740GLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 05:46   #18
Nutty 5.0
Veteran Member

I'm about 14,000 miles post fixes. I've put the Stage 2 Malone on soon after that and was a noticeable improvement. Very happy nearly a year later.

Nutty 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 12:13   #19
petee_c
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
odd I thought all canadian TDIs came with coolant heaters.

Also check out removing clutch delay valve, I've heard it makes a huge improvement as well.

There is a covered plug built into the grill by the driverside fog light...

unfortunately the cord was pilfered by the previous owner and not returned on trade in. (Proprietory plug it looks like)

Car is garaged nightly throughout the winter... so no real 'need' for the plug in heater...

I am toying with the idea of adding the aux cabin heater to my car though and hopefully programming it in with vcds...
Old February 14th, 2019, 20:38   #20
sapgar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsquare86 View Post
Mine is stock and I did the mods listed above to improve the feel of the car through the VCDS and not risking the Warranty. -> Solid improvement!

So far, this thing tows my ATV on the freeway at 80mph hitting about 25mpg no problem in 5th. Otherwise, I'm ok with the general performance of the car.

Those of you with the tune I am jealous about the improved MPG and Torque (indirectly power).

Do I need some kind of cable to do the throttle and torque mods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sapgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 21:57   #21
PHAT-DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern_TDI View Post
Turbo looks nice. Price delivered? Other parts required for install?
Will need a new charge pipe and 4bar map.
Thats it.
Total cost about 1500cad

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

www.badgeskins.com
Custom MK4 widebody for sale - here
PHAT-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 07:34   #22
JeffsSportWagen

I bought a previously owned DieselGate GSW S a year ago in December. Took it for Phase 2 this past December. Definitely on the fence between tuning and the extended warranty. For now my budget requires me to stay stock and I do enjoy the car the way it is, so I'm okay with that. However, I have had an opportunity or 2 to drive tuned VeeDubs in the past so I'm also aware of the potential.

While I've wanted a TDI for almost 20 years, this is my first VeeDub, my first TDI and my first turbo. Loving it so far.

"I have a car-sickness. I need to be checked into the HENRY Ford Clinic." -Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor
JeffsSportWagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 16:54   #23
petee_c
Veteran Member

I'm researching piggyback tuning, there is not much 1st hand experience here in it....

I would like to keep the powertrain and emissions warranty intact as well. The last time I had any warranty on my daily driver was probably 2005.!

Coming from a Malone stage 1.5 tuned brm jetta, I am finding that there is not much power below 2100rpm...i am finding that I have to shift it more like a gasser than a diesel at the moment.

If I could piggyback tune it and get some more low end torque (say 1500-2200 rpm) I would be much happier.

The gear change indicator is pretty bad, it wants me to cruise in 6th at 80kph (50mph/below 1500 rpm ),but the engine seems to have problems keeping speed if there is any sort of incline.

Oh yeah, got it Tinted today 35% in the front, 20% in the back.... Some sort of ceramic infused tint.

In the spring, going to refinish those peeling and corroded winter alloys... Probably going to go with a graphite (dark grey). New center caps ordered on eBay yesterday.

Old February 17th, 2019, 05:23   #24
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

If you value the warranty leave it alone. If you give them any reason to reject you they probably will. Why can't you just accept the fact that if you want to mess with the computer that controls everything you should be liable for anything that happens and not VW? The warranty is for those cars as VW produced them. Good luck but you are just asking for trouble in my opinion (warranty wise).
Old February 19th, 2019, 18:10   #25
petee_c
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattowntdi View Post
I just bought a 15 a week ago and slapped a Malone stage 2 tune on her last night with the flashzilla. All I can say is wow! Like a whole different car. This is my 3rd tdi with the last being a highly modded alh. With the stage 2 from Malone I dare say itís just as strong a runner. Mileage has been great in this short time of ownership and I have been impressed all around by the car. However, I agree that the first gear ďlagĒ is horrible from the factory.
Anymore updates on the tune?

Old February 21st, 2019, 18:15   #26
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Bought a "new" one. Tuned at 7,000 miles with a complete ****OFFROAD**** straight pipe install. Now at 34,000 miles of 100% *****OFFROAD***** driving. Only have one really big problem with the tune, and it's that my Mk6 exhaust was way louder, so I feel existential weight. But functionally, it's actually faster than the Mk6 with a straight pipe was and also objectively better. Drives better.

Oh, flywheel shudders like a mofo below 2000 RPM if the balls are applied to the wall. No solution here besides changing driving habits or an aftermarket single piece solution. Clutches have been half and half - according to my tuner, some people lost the clutch a couple thousand miles after the tune, yet other had 30,000+ miles and had the clutch looking brand new when they upgraded. I guess there's a varying level of quality in this particular component of these cars.

I preferred the power steering in the Mk6, but it's hard to describe. Also the Mk7 seats are trash. And it's white. And four doors. And more plastic, but those things are all difficult to objectively weigh.

Last edited by jerrymander; February 21st, 2019 at 18:18.
jerrymander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 06:34   #27
petee_c
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapgar View Post
Do I need some kind of cable to do the throttle and torque mods?

I did it with a VCDS cable, and software on a windows laptop...

Same thing as vagcom or ross-tech. Google will come up with links to the website.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 19:05   #28
sapgar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee_c View Post
I did it with a VCDS cable, and software on a windows laptop...

Same thing as vagcom or ross-tech. Google will come up with links to the website.

I had a local shop change the throttle and change the vibration reduction from strong to normal... results in a more predictable power delivery IMO. I test drove a DSG/ECU tuned mk7 (w/o the throttle mod) and wasnít wowed in city driving. I was also able to drive Kermaís black development car with 6MT, larger turbo, throttle setting and ECU tune. I was really impressed with that one.

sapgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2019, 14:33   #29
chattowntdi

Petee_c

Sorry just saw your question to me. Not sure what you are looking for as far as updates. I did experience some dmf shudder so Mark and Owain at Malone quickly made a small change and since reflashing with the updated tune the dmf shudder is gone. Other that than my fuel mileage has steadily increased with each tank. Granted Iíve only had the car for a month and a few days but first tank was 41.1 mpg hand calculated and last was 42.6. Mostly city driving. 4th refill. Also, Iím a horrible forum user so not sure how to quote and whatnot. Hopefully youíll see this.
chattowntdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2019, 15:12   #30
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You quote by clicking the "quote" button in the lower right corner of the post you want to quote.