Limp Mode Help on '04 PD

greyebar

TDI
'04 Jetta TDI PD and 04' Passat TDI
Hey everyone, I've been fighting my 04 PD for the last week. I serviced the engine and washed it, then it promptly went into limp mode. I am at my wits end with the search tool and Google on this issue. I can unplug the MAF and get some boost back, but replacing the MAF with a new one does not change the lack of power.

I cleaned the EGR valve, but it also does not help. I have watched the egr valve during the glow plug cycle, and it only moves maybe 1/8" at most. I don't know how far it should move though.

I tested vacuum on the three hoses behind the anti-shudder valve. The actuator on the intake manifold held vacuum and I can hear it move. Same with the one on the EGR cooler and it also moved. The turbo actuator do not hold vacuum though.

Unfortunately I do not have a VAG-Com, but I have sold the wife on one now.

Of course the stealership wants to randomly replace parts to figure something out starting with over 600 for the egr valve.

Question 1 - Does the CEL need to be turned off to clear the trouble code for normal engine operation to resume, assuming everythinig is ok? If my EGR being oiled up caused the CEL would the engine return to normal running without clearing the CEL?

Question 2 - Should the turbo actuator not hold vacuum. That is contrary to my understanding of actuators if that is the case.

Thanks in advance for the help.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
no you don't need to clear the code. Start by replacing your bad lines and see if that helps. We will not be able to help much until we get codes. Bag com will help a lot in diagnosing the problem without swapping out parts
Edit:: vag com*. Stupid iphone keeps changing my words that it doesn't recognize.

Last edited:

Medic92

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
Can you explain further about when the car goes into limp mode, i.e. when driving, immediately after starting?

greyebar

TDI
'04 Jetta TDI PD and 04' Passat TDI
Limp mode

The limp mode is continuous from start up.

I have vacuum tested the vane actuator by itself (independent from the vacuum lines), and it won't hold vacuum. I guess I need to find someplace that sells the actuators. So far I can only find the ALH though.

I'll try to get codes later today. Hopefully Checker can do this. No autozone, or advanced here in AK.

Last edited: