TDI's in Bethlehem, PA

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green
TDI\'s in Bethlehem, PA

I have seen quite a few TDI's in Bethlehem, PA. Just wondering if any are out there.

Tyril

TDI
98 Jetta AHU 5spd, 2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Re: TDI\'s in Bethlehem, PA

last friday I spotted two a4 tdi jetta's on the PA tpk around quakertown. We drove together for about 10 miles. I dont know if they noticed or were paying attention, but I certainly had a grin on my face.

Ive seen a couple in my home town area - Pennsburg /
East Greenville

Tate

TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue

Well I don't live in Bethlehem anymore, but I was born and grew up there, and we still drive there often to see family. You'll see me passing through this weekend....

macaroon

funny you should ask me this, because this is precisely why I was coming here tonight -- to ask where others locally got *theirs*!

I am really fortunate working in easton -- I'm right across the river from new jersey, where diesel is far cheaper (I paid $1.23 in phillipsburg two weeks ago as opposed to $1.46 advertised at home), where they pump it for you; always a plus. (please note that I am weirdly getting excellent mileage from my cheapie diesel right now; however "good" it is for the car, it's great on my wallet!)

I have trouble, too, finding diesel-equipped stations closer to home. the yellow and red gas station (I don't know what flavor it is) at the 15th street exit of 22 sells diesel, the hess station by the wal mart on 222 (not the one across from dorney, the one further out 222) sells diesel -- but I must admit to you that I'm realtively new to this all and thus don't know where to find what's deemed here as "good" diesel. can you march up to the window of a gas station and ask about cetane?

I'd love to hear what you do, and sadly note that it's too late in the season for the dorney park version of TDIFest. however, if you're up for the O'Malley's version of TDIFest, I'd certainly be up for that and would be glad to buy you wings and beer in exchange for your allowing me to pick your brain about various things TDI related. do be in touch, if you'd like.

cheers.

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey

Work behind ABE airport at the end of Postal Rd. and live in Berks county. If you see my lisence plate on my green wagon honk and wave, I do especially if I see another Passat TDI (no offense meant to A's).

dsljay

Veteran Member

macaroon, I had worked in P-Burg for 20 years and bought all my diesel and gas at the hess station on rt.22.I miss those cheaper Jersey prices but I don't miss the commute. I was hoping that you knew where to buy diesel at a good price in our area. We seem to be in a high diesel price area of Pa. It would be nice to have a Lehigh Valley GTG next summer. MORE_MPG My wife loved the green Passat, but they didn't have one in stock so she settled for the blue.

Lotfw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1995.5 Canyon red

I have a number of friends in the Forks/ Beth/ Allentown Area. Spent some nights at the Ho!

Anyone interested in BioDiesel for the area?

Let me know how far you would like to travel.

I am in Jersey mostly so I am partial to rt 22
near the Pburg Mall or further south in Bucks.

[ September 17, 2002, 11:57: Message edited by: Lotfw ]

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green

For Biodiesel:

If on 22 then P-Burg
If on 78 then that big milti-truck stop by exit 7 (I think it's 7).

I'm in Bethlehem Twp. and about 2 miles from the new Rt.33 extension. I only takes me 8 to 10 minutes to get to the Jersey border on 78.

macaroon

wait, wait. jjvincent, are you saying that we *have* biodiesel at that multi truck stop on exit 7? or on rte 22 in pburg??? whoo-hoo, I thought philly was the closest place to get the beany goodness! please elaborate (dash my hopes if you must; I can take it).

dsljay, you're right - my commute is killer. just before I got my current job in easton, though, I bought a house in the west end of allentown. I have another two years before I even think of selling. thank goodness I was smart enough to TDI -- this isn't just a spendy diesel area but also an expensive gas area. fuel prices were eating up the raise that was the reason I switched jobs -- ack. one tiny bit of price advice: look at the gas stations on airport road if they're convenient to you. I always found the redner's mini mart across from wawa and the mobil station just north of it to be among the cheapest places to get gas. not sure if that carries over to diesel if they sell it, but it's worth a look. if I get over that way anytime soon, I'll post back and let you know the result.

I'm so pleased that there are some of you in the valley. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for you -- you can do the same; I'm the chick in the blue jetta TDI swearing about traffic.

cheers.

dsljay

Veteran Member

macaroon, If you see a Blue Passat TDI, with beads hanging from the mirrow, that's my daughter. She has "taken over" my VW. But,if I am good,she let's me work on it. Timing chain and coolant flush are next.

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green

I was just answering the previous post from Lotfw.

dsljay, I don't drive a truck. My profile was referencing a movie. Do you know which one? I now changed my profile to reference another one.

Sorry for the confusion.

porterman

Veteran Member

I am in Haycock Township just below Bethlehem. I drive to philly for work so my Golf does not get over south mountain all that much. Only when we have to take the Audi to Knoph to have them screw something up.

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey

Lotfw, jjvincent - I'm with macaroon MORE BIODIESEL INFO PLEASE!!!

I have found that timing is EVERYTHING for dealing with traffic on 22. I drive the whole west to east back-up area (309 to Fullerton) every morning. If I hit it between 7:15am and 7:30am there is little delay, but between 7:30 and 7:45 I might as well bring a book, or maybe one of those DVD systems
Leaving home 10 minutes late means that I will get to work at least 20 minutes late.

dsljay, blue is a very nice color for a B4, your wife should have come out to the 'Fest, there was a limited number of B4's and not a single blue one (OK, I guess you could've come too).

Price update: Topton Went from $1.419 to 1.439 this week, I think that the station NE corner of Airport and Postal showed $1.419 today.

Redner's doesn't have diesel on Airport Road, nor does BJ's, but the Texeco in front of Redner's does. The summer long construction is nearly complete (on Airport Rd South of 22), just in time for all of the people not to go to new Agere buildings. Really it looks a lot different, I bet that they lowered the whole road about 20 feet in some places. There used to be a bridge over a water-way, now it is at the level of the water-way which they are now calling American Parkway, but it doesn't go across the Lehigh to connect to the original Am. Parkway.

If I see any good prices I drop in a note.

BTW, Lou @ L&T Ent. has been helpful with parts. He drives a Black TDI NB (one of the used cars for sale).

dsljay

Veteran Member

MORE_MP I'm going to be looking for your Passat.My son lives in T-Town and we bicycle west from his home all the time. We almost always end up going threw Topton. If you see a fat old man on a blue Cannondale and a skiny young guy on a red Cannondale, don't run us over.

macaroon

just bumping this topic to ask if anyone in the area has vag com -- and if so, if you'd be willing to help me EGR mod my car (2002 jetta). will remunerate for time and effort in whatever way you wish, of course. please let me know if you can help, I do appreciate it. again, I work in easton, live near dorney park; but have no qualms about driving to reading, philly or NYC suburbs if you're willing to help me out.

thanks again.

ochicken@pair.com is me.

tdimark

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI

maybe you've seen my two (atlantic blue)TDIs i work in allentown. diesel fan from way back i used to email vw to bring diesels all the time. now sad to say mercedes doesn't import anymore.

Doublefelix

Veteran Member
Allentown, PA. Do they grow rice in Germany?

Whoa, the word Bethlehem just jumped out at me. I live over in Hellertown, and my buddy over in Bethlehem. Both have Golf GLS's.
With the amount of members in the area (honestly, I am suprised), I would think a GTG wouldn't be a bad idea.
On the subject of biodiesel, what is the price per gallon and what does it do to fuel economy?
Is it the 20% or the 100% stuff
If you see a Black on black '03 (me)or a indigo blue '99.5 by Lehigh give us a wave.
As soon as I figure out how to get the business cards to print right, I'll start handing them out to other TDI's in the area.
GO FRED'S IN THE LEHIGH VALLEY

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey

macaroon,
- I have the software on my laptop (haven't verified that it functions), but no cable yet. I do have a friend/coworker that made his own with success. I may be able to borrow it sometime, plan tt, just don't know when. He is fighting a cam position sensor code on his wife's '93. So, until that gets cleared up he will need it for himself.
- I'll drop a note when/if it is available. I don't know how to do the EGR mod. though. You will be on your own for making it work.

Doublefelix,
- GTG sounds great! I am planning to go down to Jake's place in NJ . Did once before for a TB change. Not a bad drive and good group. Also, the Delvac is pretty cheap for gallon containers ($22 if I remember correctly).
- Let's get a list going of possible attendees and preference for location.
- I'm in for something maybe after the holidays. Location depends on what people want to do. Do we want a working GTG or just a shoot the $hit GTG, both are good. If we want to do some work well need a garage, Preferably heatable.