whats under the drivers side floorboard?

schnauzer

TDI
2010 jetta sportwagen
I was looking under my JSW and noticed what looks like a plastic cover under the driver's side floorboard. There is an access port toward the front of the cover that looks like its intended to permit access for servicing something. Anyone know what if anything is under there?

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS
I was looking under my JSW and noticed what looks like a plastic cover under the driver's side floorboard. There is an access port toward the front of the cover that looks like its intended to permit access for servicing something. Anyone know what if anything is under there?
Is this the area you are talking about?

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
I was looking under my JSW and noticed what looks like a plastic cover under the driver's side floorboard.
You will also notice one under the passenger side as well. They are some type of skid plate. They are fastened on the forward edge, but hang loose on the trailing edge. I don't really know why they are there.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Air ducting? I need to go take a look now myself lol

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Satellite Receiver

On my 09 it is the Sirius satellite receiver. I know because I just had to replace it!!!!

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Are you talking about the underside of the car or under the seat, inside the cabin?

There is plastic paneling on the under body to improve aerodynamics.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I think he's referring to this:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=272003

See especially post #12:
I am confused. The dealer service person said the part I need is the belly pan. I said to him that it was the plastic shield behind the engine on the drivers side of the car ,that runs from the engine shield to the rear of the car,, not the shield that covers the bottom of the engine. Did he use the incorrect term? Does the shield that I described protect the engine compartment even though it is at the front of the car? I WILL also get the Panzer shield for the front after what happened. Thanks ,Gary

schnauzer

TDI
2010 jetta sportwagen
Been gone for the weekend so have not been able to reply, what I'm talking about is a plastic plate that runs under the driver's floorboard, looks like it begins under where the pedals would be and back to behind the seat. I don't see where any mechanicals would be under it, maybe it is just cladding for aerodynamics. I'm not talking about belly pan under the engine. What got my interest is when I looked there I saw what appeared to be drip pattern from some fluid, but when I touched the stuff it was dry and hard almost like something applied during assembly. What really prompted my question was a small access port held in place by screws (behind wheel and under pedal location) which looks like might be for service. If car wasn't new I'd take cover this thing off just out of curiosity. I'll be going in for the 10K service and will ask there, but don't expect an answer.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
.... If car wasn't new I'd take cover this thing off just out of curiosity....
Huh? What does it being a new car have to do with anything....take it off! :D Damn I took my whole rear bumper off to install my hitch and it was a great learning experience....

schnauzer

TDI
2010 jetta sportwagen
Huh? What does it being a new car have to do with anything....take it off! :D
LOL Right about that. Truth of the matter is I've got a sand driveway and am too lazy and not curious enough to lie in the hot sand open it up and take a look. Just thought someone on the forum might know the answer.