Lower timing belt cover breaks

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I got to ask...
Those of you who have changed your timing belts on a CKRA...has anyone had the mounting ears on the lower outer timing belt cover break off or crack simply by undoing the mounting screws?

I have changed belts on two of the CKRA engines and both times the mounting ears broke off or cracked to where the cover can not be reused. This is with a 1/4 drive ratchet. No brute strength needed to undo the M6 torx bolts.

It is plastic. There is a new revised part for this but they are charging $72 at the part counter for it.:eek:
OK, I get the high VW price, but the thing is that when I asked to order it the part guy said that there were only 2 covers in the whole USA. It will take about 4-6 business days. Does that mean that "why stock them, they never break" or "because so many break we can't keep them in stock"? He said that there is no special demand for them in their dealership.

Don't know. Has anyone else broken one?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Don't all parts guys tell everyone "there's only two of those in the whole world"? maybe it's their way of making you feel good, or pawn off cheaper shipping.