2005 Golf GLS TDI, auto, new camshaft, Virginia

jima1

TDI
'05 Golf, 5-speed automatic
(SOLD) 2005 Golf GLS TDI, 09A auto, new camshaft, rebuilt injectors, $3200 (Virginia)

*SOLD* 2005 Golf GLS/TDI has 270,xxx miles on well-maintained BEW engine.
Recent work by TDI trusted mechnaic has kept this one running great:
  • Metalman cam/lifter kit (245k)
  • Injectors rebuilt by DBW (245k)
  • Gates timing belt (245k)
  • Anti-shudder valve (245k)
  • Injector wiring harness (245k)
  • MAF (245k)
  • 09A Tiptronic Trans new Cobra relay set (246k)
  • Parking brake cables (256k)
  • Master cylinder (256k)
  • ABS Controller (256k)
  • dogbone mount (256k)
Regular maintenance:
  • 10k oil changes with proper oil (most recently at 266k)
  • air, cabin filters at proper intervals
  • Bilstein comfort shocks
  • Newer Interstate battery (12/2018)
  • Michelin Premier tires about 2/3 worn
  • all stock, other than TT LCA bushings
No rust, no accidents, clean title, no lien, no CEL!!
Indigo blue with black cloth interior (worn but in decent condition).
Great daily driver (40mpg commuting),
OR good starting point for mods (e.g. 5-speed swap).
This TDI pulls well and easily goes another 150k with only routine maintenance.
Service records available back to 40k when I bought it.
Asking $3200, please let me know what you can offer.
Pics coming....
Jim

Last edited:

jima1

TDI
Hi Jim: are those seats stained in areas or is it the light through the windows that make them look that way? (first set of pictures)
On the edge of the driver's seat it's mostly glare, but there is some mild staining/whiteness on the passenger seat (near the passenger door) and on the back seat. Nothing terrible, but definitely not perfect. No rips. I've kept it clean, but the mechanical has always been the higher priority.

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
Someone needs to buy this car!

Nice, straight up post and car presentation.

Can't see how buyer could come up short here... Run it as it is for 75k miles, and keep the maintenance up.

GLWS, won't be much longer!

jima1

TDI
Nice, straight up post and car presentation.
Can't see how buyer could come up short here... Run it as it is for 75k miles, and keep the maintenance up.
GLWS, won't be much longer!
Exactly!! Thanks for your comments.

jima1

TDI
Still available. Please let me know of any questions or concerns.

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
How's the headliner?
Oh, and the blend doors for the HVAC - is the air conditioning freezing your feet?

Those are kind of pains in their own right, I still need to dive into my own dash again
I took care of the doors mostly, then the bushing they pivot on let go....
I'm guessing the headliner would be easier for the golf than the wagon.

jima1

TDI
How's the headliner?
Oh, and the blend doors for the HVAC - is the air conditioning freezing your feet?
Those are kind of pains in their own right, I still need to dive into my own dash again
I took care of the doors mostly, then the bushing they pivot on let go....
I'm guessing the headliner would be easier for the golf than the wagon.
The headliner *was* ok until just recently. It is scheduled to be tacked back up with this kit I noticed on Amazon. Will add a pic to show how it turned out.
HVAC is working fine, the cold air still comes out of the dash vents, and the controls do what they are supposed to do :)

Last edited:

jima1

TDI
The headliner *was* ok until just recently. It is scheduled to be tacked back up with this kit I noticed on Amazon. Will add a pic to show how it turned out.
HVAC is working fine, the cold air still comes out of the dash vents, and the controls do what they are supposed to do :)

I've added a couple headliner pics in the first link in post #2 above. The rear half of the headliner had started to drop, looks much better now, that kit was very cost effective. Front half still doing well....

(edit) Almost forgot, the sunroof drains were verified to be clear as well.

Last edited:

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
Still Available?

Might be interested...

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI

jima1

TDI
PD injector rebuild isn't a trivial thing, perhaps is worth linking to:
Information: http://www.dbwllc.net/product/dlc-800-100-130hp-pd-engines/
Pricing form: https://www.dbwllc.net/select-and-order-vw-injectors/ (not cheap)

DBW's site is now showing 5yr/unlimited miles warranty on his service. When was it done?

I'm not kidding, somebody Needs this car.
They just don't know it yet...:D
Thanks for posting the links. Indeed, the injector work by DBW was neither trivial nor cheap, but was a good value IMO to get like-new stock performance from injectors well matched to the engine.

The work was done about two years ago at 245k (car is now approaching 271k). The trusted mechanic coordinated the removal, shipping to DBW and reinstallation of the injectors. The work turned out well and has held up well. I will gladly provide the documentation to anyone making a serious offer.

For additional background, I will quote what I wrote in reply to a PM asking about the circumstances and cost of the injector diagnosis. Hopefully this speaks to why a BEW that has had *both* the injector and camshaft work done is a good buy at my asking price of $3200. Hopefully it goes another 245k with only routine maintenance :)

The injector diagnosis was not trivial. The symptoms that developed gradually included significant smoke during acceleration and vibration under load around 55-60 mph. Other common causes of vibration under load had already been addressed (axle segments, engine mounts etc). Finally I took the car to Mark Talbot (from the recommended mechanic list), who first replaced the MAF but eventually diagnosed that the carbon build-up in the injectors caused the fuel delivery to be out of balance (indicated by VCDS IQ deviation and O2 sensor values out of range -- yes this is an example of what P0101 can be leading to!!). DBW rebuilt them for $952 + $164 install kit.

Unfortunately, that was not the end of the story. I thought I would get out of it for $1116 to DBW + Mark's labor, as previous inspection of the camshaft had not revealed any abnormal wear. But after Mark removed the injector rocker arm shafts to get the injectors out for shipping to DBW, he was able to see wear on the #3 intake cam lobe + dished out lifter that had previously escaped detection. So we ended up doing the camshaft + timing belt + water pump at the same time. According to the DBW calibration certificate, the nozzles were replaced with Bosio DLC800 (very stock, as I recall, wasn't trying to do any upgrades). The end result cost better part of $4000 but led to a BEW engine that ran (and still runs) better than I ever imagined possible, and has way more usable engine life remaining than it did 50,000 miles ago :).
Sorry for the late reply, somehow e-mail notifications were turned off :/

Last edited:

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
Just curious

Congrats!

Was the buyer a forum member/reader, off-site, or local? I was hoping to light a little fire here but you gotta do what you gotta do...

Have a great day!