VW Morons!

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
With my B4 already in the shop, and my private mechanic really busy, I (unfortunately) had to schedule an appointment for my B5 with my local VW dealers "service" department for Saturday morning. I later received an e-mail, confirming "your appointment on Saturday at ONE O'CLOCK A.M. for your Passat.":eek:

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
And By the Way

Of course, the Benz decided to get "cute" with the 2 Dubs in the shop. One tailight bulb refuses to light, regardless of switching out bulbs, and even swapping those "high tech" sockets that have no wires attached to them. Of course, EVERY TIME I turn on my running lights, the Benz sends a hysterical message (complete with " American bombers are about to attack Stuttgart" warning GONG:eek:) You can push "reset" to stop this, but then an annoying little image of two little 81/2 by 11 sheets appears on your dash and stays there, "hardcopy" reminder that your German "wunderwagen" has the electrical system of a YUGO! Nothing like being electronically "waterboarded" all day by a 79 cent lightbulb!:mad: P.S. I wonder if the Mazda dealer would take all three of 'em for a Mazda2 !:eek:

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Love Hate

Actually, from what I can tell, Benzes are less troublesome than VW's. I know that everyones' experiences are different, but my B4 has eaten me out of house and home, although the MAJOR components are reliable. I am now conducting an interesting experiment: which car costs more to own, E300 turbodiesel, or B5 Passat? As of tomorrow about noon, the Passat will be ahead (ie costs more to own). Although I have only put 50,000 miles on it, the Benz, in 10 years, has had the following issues: 1 power window regulator; problem with seatbelt sensor; new glow plugs. End of story... My B5 is WAY ahead on headaches; don't even ask about the B4. As far as Mazdas are concerned, if ANY of the Japanese manufacturers I respect (Mazda, Subaru, Nissan) had offered DIESELS in this country...NONE of my 3 German cars would have ever been bought...............

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
And Furthermore

Let's take a look at B5 headaches; and let me remind you, I LIKE my B5! First,plastic sunroof baffles fell apart about 1 month into ownership "experience." Next, injector pump replaced under warranty, not because VW cares about their customers, but because they were afraid of lawsuits (burning B5's, how romantic). Defective stop light switch, again warrantee replacement, no doubt due to lawsuit fears. NON-LIABILITY ISSUES: compleat "stonwalling" by VW: "zer iss nozing wrong mit unser CERAMIC GLOWPLUGS!" The Czechs sind dummkopfs: "zer iss nozing wrong mit unser CHAIN DRIVEN BALANCE SHAFTS; gear drives are for Eastern European Untermenschen!" Zer iss nozing wrong mit unser: lubed for life Tiptronic tranzmission; belt pullmeisters; front technische wunder suspension; trunk hydrolische pistonen; premature "rust-igkeit" unter dem auto; "gespeckelt" chrome trim teile; sound deaden "stoff" kommt aus dem door wenn fenster up-put; screws keep ausgefallen von splashguard unter dem motor; plastische lampe-protektion got dat viggle-keit venn dat motor runnin, und a bunch of other dingen Ich vergesse right now!:eek:

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
With my B4 already in the shop, and my private mechanic really busy, I (unfortunately) had to schedule an appointment for my B5 with my local VW dealers "service" department for Saturday morning. I later received an e-mail, confirming "your appointment on Saturday at ONE O'CLOCK A.M. for your Passat.":eek:
If you scheduled the service only, willing to bet you goofed in not noticing the am/pm.

I've BTDT

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
May slip over to the Dark Side again...

I have made a list of the maintenance expenses on my B5.5 Wagon. Not something I care to review or post here. Recently, I have been informed by the VCDS that my torque converter has decided to periodically slip and the ECU disengages it. Nice. I have not fixed this yet. This car is becoming a boat:

B.O.A.T. = Bring Out Another Thousand.

I read the MB threads here and was interested in a E320 CDI (~2005 - straight 6 cyl). But don't have the nerve to pull the trigger for the maintenance fear factor. A 1998 - 1999 MB turbodiesel is interesting but getting hard to find in nice condition for a fair price. I might look into the Kia or Hyundai small SUV's (Sportage, etc) (shoot me!).

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Benz...or a CRUZE-eco

I think a 2005-2006 E320 CDI (not the Bluetec) actually might be a good choice, IF there is some remaining warrantee on the car. If I was looking for a "gasser" sedan right now, it would be the 6-speed Cruze-eco.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
And I forgot

As far as Benzes and maintenance worries, think about it: we all worry about a "big bill" owning a Benz, and then spend years paying a whole bunce of small and medium bills on the VW's. Do you like your suffering in one good shot, or dragged out in a constant slow torture?:)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
As far as Benzes and maintenance worries, think about it: we all worry about a "big bill" owning a Benz, and then spend years paying a whole bunce of small and medium bills on the VW's. Do you like your suffering in one good shot, or dragged out in a constant slow torture?:)
My recent hip replacement surgery has convinced me that one shot pain is much more tolerable than periodic/steady suffering. You have a good point.;)

That new Cruze Eco is something I need to have a peek at.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
we all worry about a "big bill" owning a Benz, and then spend years paying a whole bunce of small and medium bills on the VW's. Do you like your suffering in one good shot, or dragged out in a constant slow torture?:)
Interesting comparison. My benz is currently under surgery getting the trans rebuilt, new axle put in, plus some other odds and ends freshened up. All in all I'd say my TDI has been cheaper to own, but the Benz won't be that far behind as long as nothing else decides to break in the near future. That's my worry... I'll have dumped all this money into it and the damn thing will throw a rod or something.

-J

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Personality Disorder

After bad mouthing my Benz, (if I can get to the TDI Fest), I intend to enter it in the appropriate category in the show and shine.:confused:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The Show&Shine format is being changed in an effort to make it is more equitable for all participants, and to simplify the logistics of classifications.
Under the format to be used this year, entrants will be able to choose in which category they wish for their entry vehicle to compete.

Details will be posted, probably in a week or so, in the Lexington fest threads.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I guess it's true that VW ownership is the German equivalent to water boarding.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Full Employment

Or, on a positive note, I believe that VW's may be intentionally unreliable as a German version of the STIMULUS PLAN!:eek: Think about it...guaranteed, secure employment in Germany keeping their "wunderwagens" operating. The only more secure make work project I can think of is my profession at this time...the US MILITARY!;):D:):rolleyes::eek:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Or, on a positive note, I believe that VW's may be intentionally unreliable as a German version of the STIMULUS PLAN!:eek: Think about it...guaranteed, secure employment in Germany keeping their "wunderwagens" operating. The only more secure make work project I can think of is my profession at this time...the US MILITARY!;):D:):rolleyes::eek:
Having spent two years in Deutschland in the mid 1960's (US Air Force - Hahn Air Base), I have to agree as to the premise that the VW/Audi development is set up (intentionally?) for aiding full employment without government stimulus. The guys that developed the V2 rocket program (early 1940's) must have fathered offspring that are responsible all these neat engineering feats: B5.5 chained balance shaft; DSG transmission; HPFP pump fuel system; "soft" camshafts, DMF flywheels; 01M automatic transmissions, etc. ;)

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I believe Werner Von Farfromrunnin was involved.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Having spent two years in Deutschland in the mid 1960's (US Air Force - Hahn Air Base), I have to agree as to the premise that the VW/Audi development is set up (intentionally?) for aiding full employment without government stimulus. The guys that developed the V2 rocket program (early 1940's) must have fathered offspring that are responsible all these neat engineering feats: B5.5 chained balance shaft; DSG transmission; HPFP pump fuel system; "soft" camshafts, DMF flywheels; 01M automatic transmissions, etc. ;)

...The guys that developed the V2 rocket program (early 1940's) must have fathered offspring that are responsible all these neat engineering feats: B5.5 chained balance shaft; DSG transmission; HPFP pump fuel system; "soft" camshafts, DMF flywheels; 01M automatic transmissions, etc

...no not the first generation post WW2 VW workers
It was the 2nd generation ( born in ealy 1960's) by the time these engineering wonders attained their masters degree in "automotive nightmares" and the German version of "no student left behind" it was these "wonders" that gave us the 01M, BEW/BRM trash.