rear axle bushing

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I did it (home that is)...damn it takes a lot of persuasion (to read hammering) on the way out and on the way in.
It's a pain. Oh...and don't bother disconnecting the brake line...just cut-split the braket and bend it back in place when you're done.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Yeah...I'm getting mine done as we speak. It's a few hours of labour, as apparently you have to basically drop the axle. Oh, well...typical shop repair...small price for the parts, big price for the labour...but definitely not something I would want to tackle on my own.

HossMan

TDI
2001 jetta
I changed my bushings myself as well.I used an air hammer to drive out the old one's and machined a puller to pop the new one's in. It was relatively painless . I still have the puller if any one would like to borrow.

trossi

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
Mine are in desperate need of changing and I plan to do it in the next 2 months. I'm waiting to move to my new house.
If the bushings prove to be difficult to install, I may take you up on the offer to borrow the puller.

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I did it without any specialty tools :)
Hummer, cisel...and to put them back...i tryed a C clamp...too much paine...hammered them in.
I find that there is not much a hammer can't do :) HAHA

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I am going to do mine soon.. Although I am going to try and heat the axle and freeze the bushings before the re-install..

Do I have to drop the rear beam? Or do you guys have another way of doing it vs the writeup on vortex...