Buying new additional key

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Another vote for Andrew, he just programmed mine two days ago and they are working perfectly.

Be glad you have a 2014, the 2015 has a different system (yet again)... Does yours have push-to-start? He can't do those, but he can do the regular keys.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
what would be required program a new key with my 2014 golf wagon?
is my only option to take it to a dealer?
Yes!!! Don't waste your time trying to do otherwise. I bought a VW key fob on Ebay that was "unlocked", and supposedly ready for programming. I checked with a buttload of local locksmiths that can program electronic keys. NONE of them said they could do the VW.
So I brought key to dealership for programming. They attempted to program, but said they could not, as when they order the "blank" key from VW, it does not come totally blank from them; it already has my VIN# already programmed in it. Obviously, one from Ebay, although apparently an exact match key, does not, so it is useless.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
How hard is it to buy a mail-order key and use the rental VAG-Tacho scantool from AARodriguez?

This for our recently purchased 2012 JSW that only came with 1 key. IDK if it is IMMO1/2/3/4, as my clanky old VCDS cable can't read the immo ECU on this new car.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not looking for an opinion from the company selling the product.
I'm interested in experiences & opinions of forum members who have used the product..

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
ease of key programing

I have purchased 2 keys cut by photo from Aaron for my 2011 and rented the vagtacho to do the programing for my 2011 JSW (only came with one key and I figured for the extra 50 bucks Id amortize out the cost of the tool rental.

I used a surface 4 pro tablet, but Id guess any windows laptop built this decade will do the trick. The instructions were straight forward and altogether the process was unmemorable, so Id rate the difficulty low.

interesting note, the generic keys without the panic button make the horn beep on lock, but my original does not, (I have that feature turned off with vcds) no idea, keys have been working fine, battery lasts same as stock, and Ive even washed them and was able to dry out with contact cleaner and resurrect like the OG keys, cut is perfect, no regrets.

Greg

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Greg, that's good info.
The first step is get the newer VCDS cable so the immo can be introduced to the new key, next step will be contact AAR and get a new key.

Last edited:

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not looking for an opinion from the company selling the product.
I'm interested in experiences & opinions of forum members who have used the product..
I'll type slower this time.

Another vote for Andrew, He just programmed my keys that I bought from his company. Took about 10 minutes and everything works fine.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
Thread dredge!
I finally got around to ordering 2 keys for the '12 JSW from tunemyeuro.com.
They were cut from pics of the original key and fit the lock cylinders perfect. I rented his tablet computer with VagTacho cable & software installed. It took me a while to figure out how to program immo and then remote locking, but it got done.
Two thumbs up for getting OEM appearing keys for less than $100/ea.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Semi dense question;
Would a b5 key be of any value on a 2011 JSW?
My guess... Not worth the cost if even swapable

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
There are different types of security (immo 1, 2, 3,4... ) over the last 20 years.

The 2000 B5 and 2011 A6 would be quite different.