Headlights

19jbord

TDI
2014 Jetta
Hi, I have a 2014 Jetta TDI and was looking at putting in new headlights but the ad says only compatible with factory halogen models not xenon. Was seeing if anyone knows what type I would have. I was looking at these and wondering if they would work

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
My wife drives her 2014 Jetta a lot at night for work and I wanted to improve her ability to see deer at night. She didn't mind the idea either. I installed these bulbs (HELLA H7P50) from Rockauto into the stock factory headlight housings. They are reasonably priced and make a noticeable difference. The sales disclaimer says that they have a shorter life but I haven't noticed any difference vs factory or NAPA bulbs.

Tech20

TDI
2015 Jetta SE 6M
There isn't as much support for the jetta as the golfs. Your best bang for the buck might be the LED bulbs meant for reflector housings that deautokey sells. I never could find decent projector housings, and haven't set aside time or a budget to retrofit real projectors. Philips H7XV would be another great budget-minded bulb replacement. To ensure the longest life possible, clean the glass of the bulb with alcohol, acetone, or any other pure solvent to get rid of oils. I wear latex or nitrile gloves when handling them(and clean the gloves too). I wouldn't run anything hotter, as the wiring harness could overheat. I'm not a big fan of all of the teenagers driving around glaring everyone with HIDs or LEDs in reflector housings instead of proper projectors. What good is more light if it's not put down on the road anyway.

Check out
https://bulbfacts.com/halogen-bulbs/chart/

Last edited:

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
There isn't as much support for the jetta as the golfs. Your best bang for the buck might be the LED bulbs meant for reflector housings that deautokey sells.
In my '15 Passat I find the cut off far too high. I am very often getting flashed.....blinding other drivers on the road is not my thing. I am lighting the surrounding terrain about 15-20ft up at ~ 100ft. My lights are adjusted lower per DeAutokey suggestion <<< I now have nonexistent high beams that land directly in front of the car. The low beam and high beam pattern share the same coverage. I do find visual clarity better with the bit of "yellow" halogen high beam light mixed in with the (too) white LED...less washout

I would not suggest them (or any) in reflector housings. I will give you deal on these as soon as I get better replacement H7 halogens. :D

Tech20

TDI
2015 Jetta SE 6M
Scrambld, have you considered/tried utilizing them as high beam bulbs after you replace halogens in the low and re-aiming?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Scrambld, have you considered/tried utilizing them as high beam bulbs after you replace halogens in the low and re-aiming?
No, actually....haven't tried because I've read that they do not fit (?clearance behind the bulb), there are at present no high beam LED's that I am aware of after searching.

Might take a look and see if they have the clearance.....

….Ok, just looked and it's a no go. Clearance yes but the H-beam H7 uses a harness plug to prong on the bulb where as the L-beam H7 uses the bulb flange for elect contact.

Another source for bulbs.... https://www.powerbulbs.com/us

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Just a FYI - they make adapters for H7 plugs in VWs that also hold the bulb in. I had that issue with my Tiggy when sourcing bulbs. I had LED high beams (fail as low beams) - good spread, but lousy throw. Did get the message across when I had to flash someone.

Jason

RichDan

TDI
MK5 Golf
There isn't as much support for the jetta as the golfs. Your best bang for the buck might be the LED bulbs meant for reflector housings that deautokey sells. I never could find decent projector housings, and haven't set aside time or a budget to retrofit real projectors. Philips H7XV would be another great budget-minded bulb replacement. To ensure the longest life possible, clean the glass of the bulb with alcohol, acetone, or any other pure solvent to get rid of oils. I wear latex or nitrile gloves when handling them(and clean the gloves too). I wouldn't run anything hotter, as the wiring harness could overheat. I'm not a big fan of all of the teenagers driving around glaring everyone with HIDs or LEDs in reflector housings instead of proper projectors. What good is more light if it's not put down on the road anyway.

Check out
https://bulbfacts.com/halogen-bulbs/chart/

HID's look truly awful in some cars and simply blind other road users. I would also recommend the Philips bulbs. I have had them in my MK5 Golf for over 4 years now and still look great. If you do go for them, make sure you go for the set that best suits your requirements. I.e. if you want more white, you will want to go for the X-treme Vision (More info here -> https://procarreviews.com/best-headlight-bulbs/). I have also heard the OSRAM Nightbreakers are great bulbs too!